Elvas Tower: Diesel locomotives starting and stopping - Elvas Tower

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diesel locomotives starting and stopping A few question about triggers and cab controls in diesel locomotives

#1 User is offline   Nicolò 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: Dispatcher
  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: 25-October 14
  • Simulator:OpenRails
  • Country:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Hi everybody,

as I read on manual that is possible to use triggers 23 and 24 also on diesel locomotives, I decided to try to apply them. I used trigger 23 for the engine starting sound and then the background noise of the engine running meanwhile trigger 24 is used for stopping the background sound and then for the stopping sequence. Everything works perfectly except for the fact that when simulation starts, despite the engine is turned on, sounds related to trigger 23 are not played. You have to power off and the on the engine to be able to hear them. Is it possible, at least for diesel locomotives, both player and AI, to play trigger 23 related sounds at the start of the simulation?

Another question always about starting and stopping diesel engines is about cabview controls. Is it actually possible to set a cabcontrol for start/stop the engine? If yes, how I can set it? If no, is it possible to implement it?

Thanks in advance for the answers.
Nicolò

#2 User is offline   Coolhand101 

  • Engineer
  • Group: Active Member
  • Posts: 589
  • Joined: 13-June 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Simulator:MSTS
  • Country:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostNicolò, on 10 January 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Hi everybody,

as I read on manual that is possible to use triggers 23 and 24 also on diesel locomotives, I decided to try to apply them. I used trigger 23 for the engine starting sound and then the background noise of the engine running meanwhile trigger 24 is used for stopping the background sound and then for the stopping sequence. Everything works perfectly except for the fact that when simulation starts, despite the engine is turned on, sounds related to trigger 23 are not played. You have to power off and the on the engine to be able to hear them. Is it possible, at least for diesel locomotives, both player and AI, to play trigger 23 related sounds at the start of the simulation?


There are few ways to do this, but you can achieve having the engine sound with trigger 23 on start up. Without knowing your SMS setup, i cannot inform you of the best way.


View PostNicolò, on 10 January 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:


Another question always about starting and stopping diesel engines is about cabview controls. Is it actually possible to set a cabcontrol for start/stop the engine? If yes, how I can set it? If no, is it possible to implement it?


I've mention this myself awhile ago and today. Unless it planned on the roadmap, the answer to your question is no.

Under MSTS, this was possible by using the 'bell' key with the right SMS setup. But we don't want to use that setup in OR :rolleyes:

Thanks

#3 User is offline   Hamza97 

  • Conductor
  • Group: Active Member
  • Posts: 314
  • Joined: 01-March 15
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:49 AM

Without the ability to specify the engine state of Locomotive (running or stopped) at start of an activity or timetable, you will always have the engine running at the start of game. You would then have to turn OFF the engine and then start it again to hear the startup sounds.

#4 User is offline   Nicolò 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: Dispatcher
  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: 25-October 14
  • Simulator:OpenRails
  • Country:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:21 AM

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Here the section of SMS cab file about starting/stopping the engine:
	Stream (
			Priority ( 6 )
		    	Volume( 0.6 )
			Triggers ( 4
			Discrete_Trigger ( 23 PlayOneShot ( 1 File ( "V100_an.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
			Discrete_Trigger ( 23 StartLoopRelease ( 1 File ( "V100_Leerlauf.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )				
			Discrete_Trigger ( 24 ReleaseLoopRelease() )	
			Discrete_Trigger ( 24 PlayOneShot ( 1 File ( "V100_aus.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
				
				)
			)



#5 User is offline   Coolhand101 

  • Engineer
  • Group: Active Member
  • Posts: 589
  • Joined: 13-June 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Simulator:MSTS
  • Country:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:44 AM

View PostHamza97, on 11 January 2017 - 12:49 AM, said:

Without the ability to specify the engine state of Locomotive (running or stopped) at start of an activity or timetable, you will always have the engine running at the start of game. You would then have to turn OFF the engine and then start it again to hear the startup sounds.


Very true. Thinking about it, i haven't tried a diesel with fuel set to 0% in an activity, on top of a fuel pump or just pressing the instant refuel key? I try that now.

No, anything less than 1% for fuel, OR defaults to 100%!

Thanks

#6 User is offline   Coolhand101 

  • Engineer
  • Group: Active Member
  • Posts: 589
  • Joined: 13-June 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Simulator:MSTS
  • Country:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:52 AM

View PostNicolò, on 11 January 2017 - 01:21 AM, said:

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Here the section of SMS cab file about starting/stopping the engine:


The easiest method to have the sound at startup, is to add an initial trigger. Try this :-


	Stream (
			Priority ( 6 )
		    	Volume( 0.6 )
			Triggers ( 5
                       Initial_Trigger  ( StartLoopRelease   ( 1 File ( V100_Leerlauf.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod (SequentialSelection) ) )
                       Discrete_Trigger ( 23 PlayOneShot ( 1 File ( "V100_an.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
			Discrete_Trigger ( 23 StartLoopRelease ( 1 File ( "V100_Leerlauf.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )				
			Discrete_Trigger ( 24 ReleaseLoopRelease() )	
			Discrete_Trigger ( 24 PlayOneShot ( 1 File ( "V100_aus.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
				
				)
			)




Thanks

#7 User is offline   Nicolò 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: Dispatcher
  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: 25-October 14
  • Simulator:OpenRails
  • Country:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for tips, works good.

#8 User is offline   DirtyRam 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: First Class
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 23-October 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northwest Lake Ontario
  • Simulator:OR
  • Country:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

View PostNicolò, on 11 January 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

Thanks for tips, works good.

Good day, very good post, could I please get a .wav file translation to North American names.
Thanks much, Mike

#9 User is offline   Coolhand101 

  • Engineer
  • Group: Active Member
  • Posts: 589
  • Joined: 13-June 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Simulator:MSTS
  • Country:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

View PostDirtyRam, on 11 January 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

Good day, very good post, could I please get a .wav file translation to North American names.
Thanks much, Mike


You mean the mention wav files above ? Haven't a clue, other than i believe it's german. But i can safely say what they mean :


V100_Leerlauf.wav = Engine_Idle.wav
V100_an.wav = Engine_Startup.wav
V100_aus.wav = Engine_Shutdown.wav

Apologies if you mean something completely different!

Thanks

#10 User is offline   railguy 

  • Conductor
  • Group: Active Member
  • Posts: 298
  • Joined: 10-October 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Narrow Gauge Country - New Mexico-Colorado
  • Simulator:Open Rails-MSTS
  • Country:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

Related to this, one of the things that I have wished to see (and hear) for a long time is the ability for OR locomotives to use Automatic Engine Start and Stop (AESS) when the locomotive is idling. Also part of that is the ability (mostly specific to EMD 710 prime mover equipped locomotives) is for the prime mover to move to and from high idle automatically under certain parameter conditions. For about a decade now, just about all new locomotives produced in the US have some form of AESS, with the system also being retrofitted to many older locomotives. It's high time that AESS be modeled in the sims.

I bring this up because some of the sound triggers that are currently not well-suited in the sim or simply not present to emulate prime mover startup and shutdown are also necessary for AESS. The high idle feature (and AESS) would also require tying RPM and sound triggers to various internal and external parameters (e.g., engine coolant temperature, outside temperature, air brake system pressure, reverser position, throttle lever position, etc.). It surely would be a cool thing to have a locomotive in the sim emulate what real world locomotives do in this regard.

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users