• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unknown notch type Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

I have started to get this in my OR log. Information: Skipped unknown notch type TrainBrakesControllerGraduatedSelfLapStart which is a proper MSTS brake token.

#2 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 10 January 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

I have started to get this in my OR log. Information: Skipped unknown notch type TrainBrakesControllerGraduatedSelfLapStart which is a proper MSTS brake token.

It appears that the OR code does not currently define this controller type, and that graduation is defined by the function on the Option Menu page.

A task to try and define the operation associated with each brake token, and which brake system type that they were associated with, but never completed it.

What locomotive are you getting the message on?

#3 User is online   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:36 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 10 January 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

It appears that the OR code does not currently define this controller type, and that graduation is defined by the function on the Option Menu page.

A task to try and define the operation associated with each brake token, and which brake system type that they were associated with, but never completed it.

What locomotive are you getting the message on?

Unless I have a problem to solve, I do not look at the log very often, so this has probably been logged quite often. I was having a cabview problem with one of my test locomotives after the dynamic brakes bug was sorted out. During the time spent on fixing the cabview, the brake token information appeared.

The different MSTS brake tokens if used in the correct sequence as defined in the eng file manual do give different styles of braking, so there should really be no need for a graduated tick box in Options if the system is coded correctly and the brake tokens are used in the correct order. There are actually three train brake and three engine brake tokens that use the word graduated as part of the token name. Can it be that all six are not used by OR?.

#4 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 11 January 2017 - 05:36 AM, said:

The different MSTS brake tokens if used in the correct sequence as defined in the eng file manual do give different styles of braking, so there should really be no need for a graduated tick box in Options if the system is coded correctly and the brake tokens are used in the correct order.

I tend to agree that the graduated functionality should be associated with a controller rather then a separate function on the Option Menu.

Whilst the order of the tokens was described in the ENG file manual, I have not found any details on the functionality of each token, and which brake configuration it should ideally be used with. I think that this is an important task as I believe that the current token functionality applied in OR is basic, and doesn't reflect the various features or functions available on the different air brake types.

I did start trying to capture the functionality of the tokens, and which brake types that they should be used with, but never managed to complete it fully. If there is sufficient input then perhaps it could be completed.

View Postcopperpen, on 11 January 2017 - 05:36 AM, said:

There are actually three train brake and three engine brake tokens that use the word graduated as part of the token name. Can it be that all six are not used by OR?.

As far as I can tell, only the following brake control tokens are defined in OR:

// MSTS values (DO NOT CHANGE THE ORDER !)
    	Dummy,          	// Dummy
    	Release,        	// TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart 
    	FullQuickRelease,   // TrainBrakesControllerFullQuickReleaseStart
    	Running,        	// TrainBrakesControllerRunningStart 
    	Neutral,        	// TrainBrakesControllerNeutralhandleOffStart
    	SelfLap,        	// TrainBrakesControllerSelfLapStart 
    	Lap,            	// TrainBrakesControllerHoldLapStart  and TrainBrakesControllerHoldStart
    	Apply,          	// TrainBrakesControllerApplyStart 
    	EPApply,        	// TrainBrakesControllerEPApplyStart 
    	GSelfLap,   		// TrainBrakesControllerGraduatedSelfLapLimitedStart
    	GSelfLapH,      	// TrainBrakesControllerGraduatedSelfLapLimitedHoldStart
    	Suppression,    	// TrainBrakesControllerSuppressionStart 
    	ContServ,   		// TrainBrakesControllerContinuousServiceStart 
    	FullServ,   		// TrainBrakesControllerFullServiceStart 
    	Emergency,      	// TrainBrakesControllerEmergencyStart

// Extra MSTS values
    	MinimalReductionStart,  // TrainBrakesControllerMinimalReductionStart,

// OR values
    	Overcharge, 		// Overcharge