• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Merging routes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

I know this is a touchy subject for some but I was just curious if there will eventually be an easier way to merge routes together without having to go through all of the loops to do so? Would be so nice to be able to merge some routs not only for activities but also for saving space on files and other stuff like that. My thought is there a way you can just write over the files and tiles that are used in both routes without having to delete ALL of the signals for one of the routes just to have to put them back in again along with just redoing the track that is effected in the tiles that are in both routes? Sure would make route merging much easier. Reason I say this is because there are quite a few routes that use the same textures and over lap each other. I'm not trying to push any buttons here at all just asking is all because mostly for personal use.

Brandon

#2 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

It is said that Necessity is the mother of invention, so if you believe it necessary to have an easier way to merge routes, you're welcome to invent such a way yourself. I do not otherwise see an easier method on the horizon, because as niche as our simulation community is, the wont to combine routes together is an even tinier niche. It just isn't an oft-needed thing! I can understand why some would be tempted or even eager to try such a violation of nature, but having messed with this game for over 12 years, and all of its quirks and complexities, it is just not a place I'd ever want to go. It (combining routes) also strikes me as something less fun than a trip to the dentist and the proctologist on the same day, every day, for a month. That being said, it seems to me it'd be harder to make a new tool to aid the act of combination than to actually just dig in and do it all yourself. I suggest if you're not willing to give the time and work to combining two routes, you must not really want it bad enough.

#3 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:37 AM

Route-riter has a button for this, but i never really understood what RR actually means by this.

Lately i been using the UK Bris-Card and EB GWR routes. You can drive from Swansea(wales) to Swindon, change routes then drive from Swindon to Paddington(London).

It takes all of two minutes to change routes and restart the activity, but that two minutes is enough to make me want to merge both routes and drive the journey complete in OR!

Thanks

#4 User is online   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:10 AM

I suggest if you're not willing to give the time and work to combining two routes, you must not really want it bad enough.

Not always the case. In my situation, I'm currently stuck on and old machine that (in the past) I was unsuccessful getting either Route Riter or TSUtilities to function correctly. (I recall it was something that had to do with this machine such as outdated Windows software or something.)

I have tried my best to wrap my mind around the very detailed instructions posted on the net and shared personally with me on how to manually do so, but I just can't seem to grasp the concepts to this point. Don't know why there's a mental block in me doing so, but so far I have not been able to surmount said mental block.

Just sayin'.

#5 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

Coonskin, on 10 January 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:

Not always the case. In my situation, I'm currently stuck on and old machine that (in the past) I was unsuccessful getting either Route Riter or TSUtilities to function correctly. (I recall it was something that had to do with this machine such as outdated Windows software or something.)
I have tried my best to wrap my mind around the very detailed instructions posted on the net and shared personally with me on how to manually do so, but I just can't seem to grasp the concepts to this point. Don't know why there's a mental block in me doing so, but so far I have not been able to surmount said mental block.

I stand by my point. There's a difference between having access to the pushbutton assistance of Route Riter (and still having to do a lot of work before and after) to not having such access and being more-or-less out of luck with automated tools.

All of the TSUtils problems I've dealt with were solved by making sure 32-bit Java is installed (I always install it after the 64-bit version) and copying all of the TSUtil class files (*.class) to the \Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.x.y_zzz\classes folder (the classes folder usually needs created). This must be done every time you install a new version of Java.

#6 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

As far as the Java classes tweak is concerned, it's fairly easy to fix when updates happen. If you let Java delete old versions, it will leave the Program Files folder for the previous version in place, empty except for the classes folder you placed there previously. Simply move that to the new Java release folder and finally delete the old (now really empty) one. No need (unless you somehow managed to delete everything) to go back to the TSUtils folder, though that should always be available as a sort of online backup.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users