• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Including Path Name in Opening Screen Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

In Explorer mode, I am often looking to select a path that may have the same starting and finishing point as other paths, but may go via a different direction or have some other alterations in it to the other ones with the same start and finish points.

I am wondering if it is somehow possible to show the Path Name, as this would make it easier to differentiate between paths with the same start and finish points. Perhaps this could only apply in the Explore Mode, as it is not relevant in the Activity Mode?

Any thoughts?

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

steamer_ctn, on 04 January 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

In Explorer mode, I am often looking to select a path that may have the same starting and finishing point as other paths, but may go via a different direction or have some other alterations in it to the other ones with the same start and finish points.

I am wondering if it is somehow possible to show the Path Name, as this would make it easier to differentiate between paths with the same start and finish points. Perhaps this could only apply in the Explore Mode, as it is not relevant in the Activity Mode?

I suppose we could do it simply by having the "Heading to" items be "<Destination> (<Path Name>)". Alternatively, maybe we could include the path as an item in the big white data area, showing name as a heading (e.g. "Path: <Path Name>") and just repeating the start/end names under it. I guess we could estimate the length from the track nodes if someone was feeling like more work. :)

#3 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

What about making the filename of the selected path the tooltip of the combo box selecting the path/etc?

#4 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

Why not just have the path as a selectable item?
There is duplication in other selections as well - one can choose activity, engine or consist, so why not make the selectable items path, starting position and end position?
Initially, the path selection would be 'open' (e.g. <any path>), leaving starting position and end position selectable as they are now.
Selecting a path would automatically set start and end position, just as selecting an activity sets engine and consist.

Seems to me to be the most straightforward solution.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#5 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

roeter, on 04 January 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

There is duplication in other selections as well - one can choose activity, engine or consist, so why not make the selectable items path, starting position and end position?
Initially, the path selection would be 'open' (e.g. <any path>), leaving starting position and end position selectable as they are now.
Selecting a path would automatically set start and end position, just as selecting an activity sets engine and consist.

Seems to me to be the most straightforward solution.

This sounds like a reasonable approach.

Would this be possible to include in v1.2?

Who is able to make the menu changes in the code?

Thanks

#6 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

Jovet, on 04 January 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

What about making the filename of the selected path the tooltip of the combo box selecting the path/etc?

Tooltips on items in the dropdown? They're a bit weird from a UI design perspective, but would probably suffice.

roeter, on 04 January 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

I guess, but it's a whole extra dropdown for what I understand to be a fairly narrow use-case. I don't think it warrants this much UI churn.

steamer_ctn, on 04 January 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

Would this be possible to include in v1.2?

I would only be happy including small, simpler changes in 1.2 - whether that's tweaking the text in the dropdowns, or adding tooltips, etc. - but not something as disruptive as a new dropdown. Even if the larger change is what people agree is best, I would want to leave it until after 1.2.

#7 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

James Ross, on 05 January 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

I would only be happy including small, simpler changes in 1.2 - whether that's tweaking the text in the dropdowns, or adding tooltips, etc. - but not something as disruptive as a new dropdown. Even if the larger change is what people agree is best, I would want to leave it until after 1.2.

As an interim compromise, would it be possible to implement the change that you suggested in regard to displaying the detail in the RHS white data area?

Perhaps the Name of the path with the start and finish locations under them. Thus taking up two lines.

Just to confirm I was referring to the Name of the path as compared to the file name.

Is this a simple and easy change that could be incorporated in v1.2?

#8 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

James Ross, on 05 January 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

I would only be happy including small, simpler changes in 1.2 - whether that's tweaking the text in the dropdowns, or adding tooltips, etc. - but not something as disruptive as a new dropdown. Even if the larger change is what people agree is best, I would want to leave it until after 1.2.

Keep in mind that UI changes always make any new version of any application look different in the average user's eyes... it doesn't matter what is different under the hood. To most users, the only changes are those that they can readily see. I don't think we should be making UI changes just to make the program look different to people, but once in a while can't hurt. (On a side note, how many times are perfectly good websites thrown out and replaced by something which usually just isn't as good?)

#9 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

steamer_ctn, on 05 January 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

As an interim compromise, would it be possible to implement the change that you suggested in regard to displaying the detail in the RHS white data area?

Added in X3745, only when "Explore Route" is selected (I didn't think it made sense when an activity is selected).

#10 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

Hi James,

James Ross, on 06 January 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

Added in X3745, only when "Explore Route" is selected (I didn't think it made sense when an activity is selected).

Thanks for that, this is a big help for me.

Just one small point, is it possible to use the same title terminology on "both sides" of the screen?

Currently it uses, "Starting at" on LHS, and "From" on RHS. Similarly, "Heading to" on LHS, and "To" on RHS.

Perhaps the LHS terminology could be used.

Thanks again.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users