• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open letter to Csantucci. Transfer Tables (Transversers) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:12 PM

Hi Csantucci, I am personally so happy you have been able to get working turntables in ORTS based on your own personal ideas and fragments left behind by Kuju in MSTS. The turntables not working in MSTS came as a complete disappointment the first night I installed MSTS. I almost uninstalled and took the program back to the store because of the over sized rails and crappy rollingstock and none functioning turntables. (I am glad I didn't now) 15 years down the road and just now I am able to realize my dreams of operating a steam locomotive and turning it on a old fashioned turntable like was done everyday in the past. Open Rails really has kept MSTS alive much longer than it would be without it even with all the short comings of ORTS.

Now that turntables are realized I would like to know if the Trello map is correct in that working transfer tables are planned for a future ORTS release? If so, Can your work on the turntables in the Tsection.dat be adapted to having working transfer tables that do not require any modifications that would lose MSTS compatibility while allowing the function to exist in ORTS?

Working Transfer Tables do exist in Trainz and Railworks/TS215/2017. So examples do exist of them working in game and interacting with the world and operations of the simulation.

Robert

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 03 January 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

Now that turntables are realized I would like to know if the Trello map is correct in that working transfer tables are planned for a future ORTS release? If so, Can your work on the turntables in the Tsection.dat be adapted to having working transfer tables that do not require any modifications that would lose MSTS compatibility while allowing the function to exist in ORTS?

They're an important realism item for certain railroads, so I think we should be aiming to do them - that's why they're on the roadmap - but it might be a while before we are able to, as they could require a fair bit of fiddling with MSTS file formats and/or new OR formats to be possible. I wouldn't want to stop someone trying, though!

#3 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 03 January 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

Working Transfer Tables do exist in Trainz and Railworks/TS215/2017. So examples do exist of them working in game and interacting with the world and operations of the simulation.

The fact that they exist in other games doesn't make their addition and implementation into MSTS/OR (which has had zero provision for them) any easier.

The main issue is deciding how exactly to implement them so that it's done correctly versus half-hazardly and that it doesn't break anything else in the process.

#4 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

I found that inserting transfer table operation was not so time-consuming, as I could use much of the turntable code.
Here is the state of the art:
https://youtu.be/B3r_DrQgdw8
I modified a standard a1t27mturntable.s into an a1t27mtransfertable.s, so forgive me the graphics. Some message must still be customised.
The operation however is there. It's a bit late for OR 1.2...

#5 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

Excellent!!! Nice job, Csantucci. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/oldstry.gif

#6 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

Carlos - Congratulations on another discovery !!

I have recently been looking at train ferries. One across the White River near the Uintah (pic below) could have carried a railroad wagon.
In 1991 I returned east to Copenhagen in Denmark from Odense across the Great Belt by train which was divided in 2 then the 2 parts pushed on a ferry and the process reversed on the other side and the journey continued with a different locomotive.
Then again there is the cross-Channel train ferry from Dover to Calais. I am sure ET members will add their own favorite, New Zealand comes to mind.
If it is possible to have X to X direction by traverser, what about a Z to Z direction ferry?

Attached Image: ScreenShot792.jpg

#7 User is offline   DRelyea 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:56 AM

HI,

I'll second thegrindre's posthttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup3.gif

Doug Relyea

#8 User is offline   keystoneaholic 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:24 AM

View Posttimothyskinner, on 09 January 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Then again there is the cross-Channel train ferry from Dover to Calais.

Just to be picky, the train ferry ran from Dover to Dunkerque. I did have a trip on the overnight sleeper from London to Paris which went that way, I can tell you that from the deck up to the bottom step of the sleeper was a very big stretch!

There was another train ferry which ran from Harwich to Zeebrugge, which was freight only. I have been on that too, as a foot passenger, there were 8 double cabins and a passenger certificate for 12 people. I got single occupancy as I was working for British Rail's Shipping & International Services Division at the time (it's always who you know....). It was interesting to see the tide in your coffee as they rolled a rake of wagons on or off the ferry!

Both of those services were shut down when the Channel Tunnel opened.

Scandenavia had a number of train ferries, Rodby to Puttgarten (Denmark to Germany), the Great Belt which you mentioned and from Hellsingor to Helsingborg (Denmark to Sweden). The Great Belt service has been replaced by a Bridge/Tunnel, as has Helsingor to Helsingborg.

The 'Train Ferry' picture you posted is strictly speaking a 'Floating Bridge', because it has a fixed guidance system. It's an important distinction as under maritime law Ferries have priority over other shipping but Floating Bridges have to give way to other shipping.

It looks like the kind of thing which Rick might be tempted to have a go at!

#9 User is offline   Nicolò 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:06 AM

Amazing Carlo!

#10 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:56 AM

Thank you! I have now an internal beta version available, and it shows no errors. I even found an error in turntable operation testing with it. I've opened a blueprint https://blueprints.l.../transfertables and I envisage to prepare a demo environment if I have time.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users