Elvas Tower: Missing Warnings for missing *.ace in Log-file - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missing Warnings for missing *.ace in Log-file no warning if *.ace of loco-shape is missing Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:08 AM

I am helping a german user here, see post #3:
at a train there are missing textures .
http://www.tssf.eu/f...p?topic=11333.0

For testing I have change a Name of a *.ace-files of the standard Acela-Loco in folder HHP of TRAINSET.
The *.ace missing loco shows also grey, as in example above.
But I haven't found any Warning about in the log-file !
If I switch on the Option: show shape warnings, I get many of this, but no warning about missing *.ace
Warning: Missing UV index in vertex 0 in sub-object 0 in distance level 1 in shape e:\msts\trains\trainset\hhp\acelahhl.s

Can you add such a warning in the Log-file, it would be very helpful by solving such problems.

Thank You
EugenR

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

eugenR, on 03 January 2017 - 03:08 AM, said:

Can you add such a warning in the Log-file, it would be very helpful by solving such problems.

If anyone does fix this, it's bug 1429308.

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

I've prepared a patch for this, but I'll upload it only with James' OK, as we are near to 1.2 and the patch is not so trivial as one could have expected and here we are not correcting a malfunction or eliminating a crash. Apart of a minor problem with the default terrtex snow textures, the main problem is that, even if no NIGHT and CABLIGHT folders are present within the CABVIEW folder, OR looks for all night and cablight textures, therefore generating a bunch of warning messages, even if then OR will simply use the daylight version of the texture in such cases.
My fear is that other unwanted warning messages could appear, e.g. related to seasonal or night textures.

Here's the patch
Attached File  Notexture3.zip (1019bytes)
Number of downloads: 203
and here are the corrected runactivites for release x.3741
Attached File  Runactivities.zip (625.7K)
Number of downloads: 184

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

Csantucci, on 04 January 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

I've prepared a patch for this, but I'll upload it only with James' OK, as we are near to 1.2 and the patch is not so trivial as one could have expected and here we are not correcting a malfunction or eliminating a crash. Apart of a minor problem with the default terrtex snow textures, the main problem is that, even if no NIGHT and CABLIGHT folders are present within the CABVIEW folder, OR looks for all night and cablight textures, therefore generating a bunch of warning messages, even if then OR will simply use the daylight version of the texture in such cases.
My fear is that other unwanted warning messages could appear, e.g. related to seasonal or night textures.

Yeah, it's not great. :/

Perhaps we could add a new parameter to SharedTextureManager.Get(string, Texture2D) of "bool required", clone SharedTextureManager.Get(string) into a SharedTextureManager.GetOptional(string), and have them pass required of true and false, respectively. Then only log if required == true.

That saves on the TryGetValue changes for night/light textures, which I'd prefer to avoid, but makes SharedTextureManager.Get(string, Texture2D) a bit more complex.

I'd recommend keeping the warning consistent with our existing messages in tone and order [1], like this:

Trace.TraceWarning("Ignored missing texture file {0}", path);

[1] I try to keep all messages in the simple past tense, with no reference to persons (the user or OR), and the most relevant file at the end. This probably should be fully described and documented somewhere. :)

#5 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Csantucci, on 04 January 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

Here's the patch
Notexture3.zip
and here are the corrected runactivites for release x.3741
Runactivities.zip

Hi Carlo your patch was really helpful!
Tobi (German OR user) has found in the Log-file, with the help of your patch , that the TGV-Train was looking for the *.ace files in the "spring" folder and there wasn't such a folder!

Thank you very much
Eugen

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

I dunno about cabviews and such but for the model mesh no patch was needed becuase there is another solution available. Look in the log for the phrase diffuse. If found, open up the model mentioned on that line in shapeviewer and examine the texture list. One or more will be missing it each will be named.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:04 AM

eugenR, on 04 January 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

Hi Carlo your patch was really helpful!
Tobi (German OR user) has found in the Log-file, with the help of your patch , that the TGV-Train was looking for the *.ace files in the "spring" folder and there wasn't such a folder!

Thank you very much
Eugen

This however seems to mean that the .sd files for such trainsets are incorrect, and require also seasonal textures, like a tree :) .

#8 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:48 AM

Csantucci, on 05 January 2017 - 12:04 AM, said:

This however seems to mean that the .sd files for such trainsets are incorrect, and require also seasonal textures, like a tree

Seasonal textures are supported by trainsets in OR. But is OR only looking for them when called for, or all of the time no matter what?

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:58 AM

OR is looking for them only when they are called for. Probably the activity had set spring as season. However if such seasonal folders are not present in the trainset's pack, the author has done it wrong with the .sd files.

#10 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:06 AM

Fixed in x.3742 accordingly to the approach suggested by James. Someone will be surprised by the missing textures :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users