• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question on my mind? Route Editers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

Evening, I have a couple of questions on my mind and I would like to hear some of your comments on them.

Route Editor for ORTS? Why is there such a push for some kind of "Official from ORTS" route editor when we have Goku's contributions? Now, I realize Goku is not the easiest person to get along with at times. But, His program is getting better and better and is a long over due alternative to the pesky MSTS tools.

That said, I would like to see some more openess on Goku's behalf when it comes to new ideas and features for his program.

Second, With Goku's route editor now available are there any commerical ventures for either MSTS or ORTS currently using these tools to create new content more efficiently and quicker for MSTS or ORTS?

Lastly, What would it take for TSRE5 to be acceptable enough for a so called "Official route editor"?

Robert

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 02 January 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

Route Editor for ORTS? Why is there such a push for some kind of "Official from ORTS" route editor when we have Goku's contributions? Now, I realize Goku is not the easiest person to get along with at times. But, His program is getting better and better and is a long over due alternative to the pesky MSTS tools.

I don't think I've seen much of a push for an official OR-created RE, but maybe I've missed it? I would say that we're still interested in building/supplying our own RE but the general need is lessened by the presence of Goku's TSRE5.

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 02 January 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

Lastly, What would it take for TSRE5 to be acceptable enough for a so called "Official route editor"?

We'd need the source code to be part of our repository, and under our (OR's) control and direction; in other words, it would need to be developed through all the same ways OR is developed. I don't know if that's likely to happen, but something that is more likely (but could also be a stepping-stone) is for TSRE5 to become a "contributed" project to OR: these are programs where we have the source, and they're included with OR, but we don't control their development directly.

#3 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

At some point, "contributed" project might be the way to go. While it's still being actively developed with frequent updates, maybe not.

We have a contributed Track Viewer, which allows a certain amount of messing with paths. There are several good consist editors both MSTS- and ORTS-oriented. We now have a flexible APK unpacker. But I haven't seen an activity editor/builder yet that puts the whole package together. Have I missed something?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users