• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Menu Launches with Wrong Parameters Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

I've been having an odd problem for a long time, and it's curious to me that nobody else has reported it.

http://msts.jovet.net/files/images/ORTS-LaunchError.png

I seem to get this error message every time I select a different route in the Open Rails "Menu" and then start a simulation. If I close the "Menu" and restart it, it works fine.

As you can see above, for some reason, the time argument is missing. A while back I even combed through the code that builds the command-line string to see if I could figure out what is going on but didn't see anything awry [within my capacity to do so].

• It's always the time argument that is missing.
  • It only happens after I select a different route from the one previously ran and press Start to launch OR.
  • OR always aborts after the appearance of the error.
  • The error then repeatedly appears no matter which route is selected until I restart the "Menu" application.
  • After re-launching the menu application, the selected route can be ran without issue, but selecting a different route requires another restart of the "Menu" application.
  • This has been happening to me for at least a year, across many different experimental OR versions.

#2 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:05 PM

Hi Joseph,
Using X3700, I have no such problem. I've successfully switched between routes within an installation and switched to other installations.

Cheers,
Ged

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:15 PM

Ged, same here, never any indication of any problems, whatsoever.

#4 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

That's what is so odd about the problem. I seem to be the only one having it. And I've no idea why!

#5 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

View PostJovet, on 21 December 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

I've been having an odd problem for a long time, and it's curious to me that nobody else has reported it.

I seem to get this error message every time I select a different route in the Open Rails "Menu" and then start a simulation. If I close the "Menu" and restart it, it works fine.

I sometimes get this error with the reasons you have stated, as well as exiting then restarting the menu to stop this error happening. Guess i thought it was a problem my end and was easy to solve by restarting.

Thanks

#6 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostCoolhand101, on 21 December 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

I sometimes get this error with the reasons you have stated, as well as exiting then restarting the menu to stop this error happening. Guess i thought it was a problem my end and was easy to solve by restarting.

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I don't know how it could be a problem only on our end, though, since it seems to be a bug in how the OR Menu builds the command line to launch the game. I can also confirm that, when the problem is happening, changing the time field also ceases the problem. Somehow the time field is not being correctly fetched/generated when the time comes to build the command-line after changing the route selection. I don't know why this would be, but an internationalization setting or scenario that OR isn't properly dealing with is my first thought.

#7 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostJovet, on 21 December 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

http://msts.jovet.net/files/images/ORTS-LaunchError.png

That is strange... next time you get this, can you return to the menu (without closing it) and check what is in "Time:" box; in explore mode it is just a textbox so you can freely edit it. It seems that it is empty, but I'd like to confirm before trying to figure out why.

#8 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:57 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 21 December 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

That is strange... next time you get this, can you return to the menu (without closing it) and check what is in "Time:" box; in explore mode it is just a textbox so you can freely edit it. It seems that it is empty, but I'd like to confirm before trying to figure out why.

The combo box is not empty. I never change the time. It's always 16:30.

From what I gathered looking at the code, there are a few methods invoked to get the input time out of the combo box, and something about changing the route must change how that happens.

I also observe that changing the route or Activity makes the time field combo box disappear momentarily. None of the other fields (e.g. Season, Duration) do this.

Also note that this issue is persistently reproducible for me. I can get it to happen at any time.

#9 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:41 AM

Well I have made a breakthrough in this problem.

As I mentioned above, I usually use a Time setting of 16:30. The fractional hour seems to be the culprit. The bug also appears when I use a time of 8:30. Also, setting the time to 8:30, Exploring a route, and then switching to another route initially reset the time setting back to the previous (pre-8:30) value. This seems to be bad behavior as well. After setting the time to 8:30 again, it stuck. And also started causing the original error again.

I hope, now, everyone else can reproduce this.

#10 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:01 AM

Yes, I could reproduce this, but I'm not the best person to solve this.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users