• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LIMIT: What is it? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

In a " Consist File " what sets the 2 values in the MaxVelocity line and what factors does it use to get those values ? They are different for most engines and with different consists and virtually none of them match engine max velocity or any other speed limit values shown in any of the displays .
It seems that the ROUTE that you are running determines the limit not the consist . It doesn't matter what numbers are in the consist file can be 0 or 40 - whatever . The same consist used in different routes gives different values in F4 . SO ! - - - What does it actually mean and what determines it ?
Now I'm curious .

#22 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:40 AM

Hobo, on 17 December 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

In a " Consist File " what sets the 2 values in the MaxVelocity line and what factors does it use to get those values ? They are different for most engines and with different consists and virtually none of them match engine max velocity or any other speed limit values shown in any of the displays .
What is their relationship to the consist used ? Do we just change all consists to 40 and 1 for the values to get engine max velocity shown in F4 ? BTW - What does the 40 stand for? The 1 is 100% durability I think .

In MSTS, the secondary parameter was some sort of acceleration for the AI train and also, it affected the max speed of the AI train up and down hill. I spent many a time, checking out this peformance. I cannot remember off hand but setting this to 1.000 affected the performance of the train on grades severely if the efficiency was set to 75% in the service file for the act.

In OR, from what i can tell, the second parameter does nothing for the player and AI train. The AI train performance is based on the power/force setting in the ENG file( need clarification on this ).

The first parameter affects the max speed of the player train in the track monitor and is based on meters per second. So if your engine/trainset has a top speed of 75 mph, you enter 33.528 in the consist file.

I'm unsure if the first parameter is also for the AI train max velocity or if this is based on the max velocity in the ENG file.

So again, the first parameter is the max velocity of the train in meters per second. The second parameter in OR i am not too certain what it is based on.

In MSTS, the first parameter with the correct speed in the consist file, affected the max velocity of the AI train IF the service efficiency was set to 75%. You had to multiply this by a factor of 0.25 So if the max velocity was 75 mph or 33.528 you entered 44.776.

As 99% of my consist files are based on MSTS with that factor correction. The track monitor will show my train 75 mph top speed in the consist at 44.776 m/s or 100.161 mph. So if my route speed is 100mph and over, and my top train speed is 75mph( 33.528), the track monitor will show overspeeding pass 100.161 mph.

A lot of what i said is based on my own observations and needs clarification on a few things.

EDIT
Your post as change slightly. If you put 0 on the first line, only the routes top speed is accepted. If you put 1, your train top speed in the track mpnitor will be 4 mph.

If your routes top speed is 100mph from the TRK file and you train consist speed is 75mph(33.528), the track monitor will show 75 mph as the top speed on 100 mph track.

Thanks

#23 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

Yep. In my case it was the Consist's MaxVelocity line. Those engines, like 25, that had a max velocity of MaxVelocity ( 40.00000 1.00000 ) showed a Limit of 25 mph - 40m sec translating to 25 mph. Engines that had MaxVelocity ( 5.36448 1.00000 ) showed a limit of 12 mph.
Actually, the 40.00000 setting artificially matches the route speed limit of 25. When set to 0.00000 the engine takes the actual route speed as the Limit.

Also, for what it is worth, light locomotives - with no cars save the tender - that start out with a 12 or 25 mph have those settings in the MaxVelocity file., 5.36448 or 40.00000. Consists that have wagons seem to mostly have one value - 0.00000 - in the MaxVelocity statement. Some have other values but most I'm looking at are zeroed and only one value present..... :bigboss:

OK, I did the math and 40.00000 is somewhere around 70 MPH, 7800 ft per minute. So what is kicking in with the 40.00000 figure is the route speed limit of 25, 40.00000m sec being far beyond the route limit.

This post has been edited by atsf37l: 17 December 2016 - 01:37 PM

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users