LIMIT: What is it? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:05 PM

View Postcharland, on 15 December 2016 - 07:36 AM, said:

Hi Rick,

Are you starting the activity in a siding somewhere where there is no speed limit set at the end of the siding? Just "exploring" maybe?

Paul :-)

Hi Paul,
Yup. You 'guys' told me to to set my Start Point ending in a dead end so you don't run over your own green route line. Doing this has solved all my route running issues I was having.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/oldstry.gif

#12 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

Lemme add a few scoops of coal to this fire.

Route: Rio Grande Southern

Max speed limit for the route: 25mph

Restricted speed limit for the route: 15mph

Installed speed limit restrictions: Zero

Signals on the route: Zero

Path: Telluride (on the main headed for the end of the branch at Pandora)

Locomotive: RGS T-19 20 of 1941, MaxVelocity: 30mph

Limit displayed in F4: 12mph

Second Scenario, all of the above except,

Locomotive: RGS T-19 25, MaxVelocity 30mph

Limit displayed in F4: 25mph

The only difference in the engine and wag files for these two locomotives are the names of the files. Unless there is something in the shape files that limit velocity, which I have uncompressed and viewed over thousands of lines of code with no reference to speed or velocity, then I can't for the life of me figure out why these two locomotives should receive different limits from the software. All of the above tests were in Explore mode.

In MSTS, running the exact same scenarios, both locomotives have a posted F4 Limit of 25mph, so this issue is strictly an OR issue. These are only two of my engines that experience these differences. One of them, C-19 No. 41 will have a different speed limit after a save when out on the road than when the save was made. It'll be at 12 mph with a yellow F4, quit the program and come back in later with a restored save and it'll be 25 mph and green.

Sumpthins not right here lads.

:bigboss:

#13 User is offline   thegrindre 

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

It would be nice if these coders would change it back like MSTS uses the LIMIT tag. It shouldn't have anything to do with engine or wagon speeds. It's supposed to display the section of track's speed limit you're running on.
And, MSTS does it very well.

Can this be fixed before the 1.2 release?

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif very much.

#14 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

Most diesels I own have limiters that squawk at you when you exceed their geared limitations. And most steam engines will thrash themselves into oblivion if you go too fast - when the exhaust is a "whoosh" you've probably exceeded your limits. So you're right Rick. It should be track speed limit and not governed by equipment limitations. In my above example I want it to say Limit: 25mph from Ridgway to Durango and all points in between! :bigboss:

#15 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:22 AM

OR takes into account also the MaxVelocityA parameter (which is in meters per second) of the .con file to define the max allowable speed for the train. Check this.

#16 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:43 AM

I think that what is being said is that the track monitor should only show the posted track speed limit, not the locomotive or consist limit.

#17 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:00 AM

Could it be that you have the option "Curve dependent speedlimit" switched on? That is about the only explanation I can think of.

As for the speedlimit as applied and shown in monitor window : that quite correctly is set to the maximum speed the train is allowed to travel, and that is derived from all parameters as I mentioned above. I would firmly disagree with any change from that. If a train is limited to, say, 30 mph, for whatever reason, than that is the maximum speed for that train - regardless of whatever the allowed line speed may be if that happens to be a higher limit. That is real life law, and that is what is reflected in the simulation.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#18 User is offline   thegrindre 

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:14 AM

View Postroeter, on 17 December 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

Could it be that you have the option "Curve dependent speedlimit" switched on? That is about the only explanation I can think of.

As for the speedlimit as applied and shown in monitor window : that quite correctly is set to the maximum speed the train is allowed to travel, and that is derived from all parameters as I mentioned above. I would firmly disagree with any change from that. If a train is limited to, say, 30 mph, for whatever reason, than that is the maximum speed for that train - regardless of whatever the allowed line speed may be if that happens to be a higher limit. That is real life law, and that is what is reflected in the simulation.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

That may be so but it's useless information. MSTS uses this tag for track limit speeds and it should be set back to that. Train limits is useless information. I gain no knowledge of anything where train limits are needed. I want to know what the yard limit is when I run in it like MSTS does.

#19 User is offline   thegrindre 

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:16 AM

View Postroeter, on 17 December 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

That may be so but it's useless information. MSTS uses this tag for track limit speeds and it should be set back to that. Train limits is useless information. I gain no knowledge of anything where train limits are needed. I want to know what the yard limit is while I'm running in it as MSTS does for me.

#20 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:53 AM

View Postthegrindre, on 17 December 2016 - 03:16 AM, said:

That may be so but it's useless information.

Sorry but how is that useless information. Or are you referring to certain trains you are using in the sim?

The track monitor shows that the train you are driving is exceeding the track speed limit and the train maximum operational speed. MSTS only showed the speed limit of the track and not both. A badly configured CON file will show the wrong maximum speed in the track monitor where in MSTS this did not.

One of my trainsets has a top speed of 60 mph, but in the track monitor on 90 mph track, it was showing 48 mph with red lines in track monitor and and sure enough, the CON file max velocity was lower than what it should of been!

Surely it's better to have a corrected file than going back to MSTS examples?

My 75 mph trainset shows in the track monitor that i'm speeding if i past this figure on 100 mph track which to me is correct.

Thanks

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users