Soundproblems Alerter & Speedcontrolled stream Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Stijn D.C. 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:39 AM

Hello,

I have 3 problems with sound in ORTS:

1. => Alertersound stops when TCS put emergency/penalty on. In MSTS this sound stay playing, until the resetstep (pedal, resetbutton, other rearmcontrol) be done.
Like it was in MSTS, it was good. I hope that this in ORTS can make 100% MSTS compatibel.

2. => In most trains we use this stream:

Stream (
Priority ( 6 )
Triggers ( 4
Discrete_Trigger ( 23 SetStreamVolume ( 1.0 ) )
Discrete_Trigger ( 24 SetStreamVolume ( 0.0 ) )
Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 0.01 StartLoopRelease ( 1 File ( "Wheelfan.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past 0.01 ReleaseLoopReleaseWithJump () )
)
)
This stream is be used for Telocsound (black boxsystem, that making tikingnoise), or for wheelspeedcontrolled fan for newer locomotives.
In MSTS was this good data, for that things, But in ORTS this sounds stay playing if you have 0 km/h and brake on.

If you relase brake the sounds stops, if you brake again, the sound start again, or in some case, like it must be, stay off.

3. Normal it is the way that you must in a cabview only the sounds that you have writen in the cab.sms (stereo), Engine.sms same (mono)

But in cabview i hear now sounds of outside too and every bird, car or other event sound...

I use this for cab.sms:

SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0x1t______

Tr_SMS (
ScalabiltyGroup( 5
Activation ( CabCam() Distance (100) )
Deactivation ( ExternalCam () PassengerCam() Distance (100) )
Stereo ()

Engine.sms:

Tr_SMS (
ScalabiltyGroup( 5
Activation ( ExternalCam () Distance (1000) )
Deactivation ( CabCam () PassengerCam () Distance (1000) )

Pasview.sms:

Tr_SMS (
ScalabiltyGroup( 3
Activation ( PassengerCam () Distance(100) )
Deactivation ( ExternalCam () CabCam () Distance (100) )
Stereo()

I hope for solutions in future, in advance thanks

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

First point probably refers to the management of the Train Control System, so I won't intervene on it.
Third point: if you hear birds probably your birds have CabCam activated. Check that.
Second point: I have no explanation for that. It should work without problems. Do you have a loco with this sound to download? Can you try setting the two variable triggers at the first two positions of the stream?

#3 User is offline   Stijn D.C. 

• Engineer

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:50 PM

Hello,

1. TCS sound, i have this on the ORTS standard TCS, and TCS scripts too (France.tcs), the sounds of alerter stops when train breaking...
if you change the penaltytime in the Monitoring (ENG file) with 5 seconds later, the sounds play 5 seconds more. But stops to.

In some alerter i have add sound of emergencyprocedure too, sound after alerter, emergencypressure...

i can make movie of this in MSTS and ORTS for let see what i mean.

The stream of alerter is config like this:

Stream (
Skip ( **** Vigilance alarm **** )
Priority ( 6 )
Triggers( 4
Discrete_Trigger ( 56 SetStreamVolume ( 1.0 ) )
Discrete_Trigger ( 56 StartLoopRelease ( 1 File ( "AM96AWI+NOOD.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Discrete_Trigger ( 57 SetStreamVolume ( 0.0 ) )
Discrete_Trigger ( 57 ReleaseLoopRelease() )
)
)

2. for msts i have a tutorial for making ENG files, i remember that in that tutorial was a table with convertion. becauze that values "0.01" is in meters/second
i have change 0.01 to 0.28 ( 1km/h) and now it works beter. But that train use that ETCS gauche too, and if you are stand still and brake that digital area of that ETCS gauche give 1km/h on it. But train standing stil. I think that that is reason why the sounds stay play, and 0.01 is a value with to short space.
ORTS handle/calculate that commands beter than MSTS i think. i try to record a movie of that.

Tr_SMS (
ScalabiltyGroup( 5
Activation ( CabCam() Distance (100) ) => finded *
Deactivation ( ExternalCam () PassengerCam() Distance (100) )
Stereo ()

* => In most SMS files that comes from MSTS is this Cabcam placed in the cabine.sms file, if i understand it good, for ORTS it must be deactivate?

or do you mean that i must looking for that soundsource.sms file for see of there cabcam is activated?

Thanks for answer, Greetz,

Stijn

#4 User is offline   Stijn D.C. 

• Engineer

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:07 AM

Hello,

I have test with other trains, they have same problem

In every cabview i hear the sound of soundsources (birds, church, traffic...) or "engine-outside" sound.

Read ORTS the Deactivation commandline too?

In the manual.pdf stay this:

14.2 .sms Instruction Set
OR recognizes and manages the whole MSTS .sms instruction set, in a way generally compatible with MSTS. The differences are described below.
The Activation () instruction behaves differently from MSTS with regard to cameras (CabCam, ExternalCam and PassengerCam): in general OR does not consider which cameras are explicitly activated within the .sms files. Instead, it uses a sort of implicit activation, that as a general rule works as follows:
 when in an inside view (cabview or passenger view) the related inside .sms files are heard, plus all external .sms files (with the exception of those related to the trainset where the camera is in that moment): the volume of those external files is attenuated by a 0.75 factor.
 when in an external view all external .sms files are heard.
For an .sms file to be heard, it must be within the activation distance defined in the related instruction.
A hack is available so as to hear only in the cabview some .sms files residing outside the cabview trainset. This can be used e.g. to implement radio messages. For this to work the related .sms file must be called within a .wag file, must contain an Activation ( CabCam ) statement, and the related wagon must be within a loose consist, within a not yet started AI train or within the consist where the cabview trainset resides.
The ScalabiltyGroup () instruction behaves differently from MSTS for AI trains. While MSTS uses ScalabiltyGroup ( 0 ) for AI trains, OR uses for AI trains the same ScalabiltyGroup used for player trains. This way AI train sound can profit from the many more triggers active for AI trains in ORTS. For instance, Variable2 trigger is not active in MSTS for AI trains, while it is in ORTS.
If a Stereo() line is present within a ScalabiltyGroup, and a mono .wav sound is called, MSTS will play the sound at double speed. In order to have it play at the correct speed, a frequency curve halving the speed has to be inserted. OR behaves the same as MSTS in this case.

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

I have checked better the code. It is as described in the manual, that is external sounds are heard - attenuated - internally. I was wrong in my previous post. Maybe the 0.75 factor could become a user-definable parameter. Or maybe it makes sense to return to full MSTS compatibility. In my opinion in reality external sounds are heard - attenuated - internally.
Let's see what other forumers think about this.

#6 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 11 December 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

I have checked better the code. It is as described in the manual, that is external sounds are heard - attenuated - internally. I was wrong in my previous post. Maybe the 0.75 factor could become a user-definable parameter (an audio option). Or maybe it makes sense to return to full MSTS compatibility. In my opinion in reality external sounds are heard - attenuated - internally.
Let's see what other forumers think about this.

Defineable parameter is the right way. The external sounds not just attentuated, but muffled in reality. TS20xx has a nice solution for this, the "cab occlusion" blueprint in which you can set the occlusion parameters: "occlusion" in milliDecibels, "occlusion L/F ratio", "occlusion room ratio", "occlusion direct ratio".

#7 User is offline   Stijn D.C. 

• Engineer

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

Hello,

That you hear some things of outside in cabine, that is true, but there is "isolation" between cabine and outside.

In the .sms file of a crossing there have they placed Cabcam too, so you hear the sound of crossing (bel, chime...) in cabine

but on volume that is deffined in .sms file

i prefer that system that you can put Cabcam in the .sms of the soundsource and with a own Volume ( 0.X ) value in the stream.

That is the system that is handled by MSTS too. But than is important that stereo and mono is handled fine.

Now i have a train, that have doorsound with volumemod in cab.sms, doorsound in outside.sms, doorsound in pasview.sms

in cabview you hear now 3 doorstreams together (echoeffect). the same with motortraction.

The idea for 0.75 was good, but with MSTS compatiblity the soundfile.sms writer (person) can manipulaty the sound like he will.

now the game make that desision.

If there is discussion... a checkbox in the "Audio" tab (options) "Open Rails 0.75 Soundmod on/off" can be the way that everyone is happy.

And maybe if the user check the box "on" that he can give that volumevalue that he want. like "Distance mountins" option.

If ORTS go for 100% MSTS soundcompatiblity, that is better for soundwriter, but that is my opinion.

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:38 AM

Stjin,
about the level crossing issue: the problem in MSTS is that in the crossing .sms file you can insert only one sound volume, and that must be used for both internal and external view. That's not good.
About repeated (echoed) sound: external view sound related to the loco where the cab resides is not played in OR when you are in the cab (or at least this is what I remember).
It must also be considered that modern trains have better isolation for cabs and wagons against external and track sound than old trains.
So I think that providing within the .eng and .wag files an optional specific attenuation parameter would be a good idea.

#9 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:37 AM

Sorry to jump on this thread, but is there any more information about the internal/external sounds not in sync?

https://bugs.launchp...or/+bug/1564555

http://www.elvastowe...ounds-not-sync/

Thanks

#10 User is offline   Stijn D.C. 

• Engineer

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:03 AM

Hello,

Ok, what i have sometimes too, is that noise of ventilation of cab is gone, and that you hear it back if you go to external view and back to cabview.

Is there a way that the user the value 0.75 can be change?

SMS file of Crossing:

Tr_SMS (
	ScalabiltyGroup( 3
		Activation (
			ExternalCam ()
			CabCam			()

Distance    ( 100 )
		)
		Deactivation (
			PassengerCam	()
			Distance    	( 100 )