Elvas Tower: LIRR Route Editing with TSRE5 - Elvas Tower

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LIRR Route Editing with TSRE5 Editing large Tile w/2500+ Obj. has problems Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

Also, are you using ET? I think it would be better to continue discussion about your route in dedicated topic, because I see it will take some posts. This topic should be for TSRE development progress. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...ting-software/

Hello GokuMK

As per your suggestion I am starting a new topic here where we can discuss the problems I am having editing the Long Island Rail Road with your TSRE5 Editor.
Answering your question at Trainsim.com post this morning: Tile address is w-010969+014361 This is the large 2500+ object tile. Editing small tiles seem to work okay. Only editing static objects at this time.
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gifvince

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

I will check this. I am still waiting for your route :) , three hours of downloading, still three hours remaining. TS is slow ..

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

View PostGoku, on 06 December 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

I will check this. I am still waiting for your route :) , three hours of downloading, still three hours remaining. TS is slow ..
Ouch!
Sorry for the 500MB dl.
It made for the quickest install.

Also you should move all Activities, Services and Traffic files as they cause errors in ICHK.
Test runs error free without those files so move the files to a temp hold folder.

I always run tests in as a simple as possible environment with only ONE activity and a fresh install of the LIRR zip d/l.
In other words once I edit a route and the route fails any tests I discard the route and use a fresh install.
This gives me a level playing field every test.
After install I verify that all RR tests run error free. Then for TSSRE5, I will proceed following your instructions.

As some of the supplied activities cause problems I remove all activities and use the following test activity.
Having this activity present does not affect the Route_Riter tests. All run error free.

Attached File  LIRR_ACT&SRV test files.zip (1.02K)
Number of downloads: 4

regards,
vince

#4 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

The reason why RR crashes is so weird.

TSRE was writing wrong header for .ws file:

SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0w0t______

But for .ws file it should be:

SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0W0t______

Such a small difference :)

I also see that RR doesn't like my empty rdb files, but it is not my fault.

I also see another possible issue, so wait a little more for new update.

#5 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:55 PM

Use this update. Works fine for me:

http://koniec.org/ts...SRE5_v0.656.exe

#6 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

View PostGoku, on 06 December 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

.................snip.......................................
I also see that RR doesn't like my empty rdb files, but it is not my fault.
I also see another possible issue, so wait a little more for new update.

Hello GokuMK, The missing rdb is a known failure, never a problem.
I'm impressed you nailed the W-w bug so quickly.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif

I seem to remember you speaking about Capital vs. Lower Case letters just a few days ago? in a different thread.

The TSUtlis suite was written a long time ago and so flags this wrong capitalization as an error. That's truly a pain in the bass where you have to either come up with new diagnostic test routines ( Hard? ) or give the old tests what they want where at least you 'know' the editor code.
Trying to figure out what the old diagnostic tests want is hard! That's where I come in to help you; I use the tests daily and so will pick up any troubles quickly!
I'll be using the Route_Riter [Check Route] and the [ICHK] test's after every editing session. (backup too) I always have worked that way.
Prevents hair loss.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pleasantry.gif

As I am going to be exclusively using TSRE5 for editing Phase 2 of the LIRR and testing after every editing session, any errors I will promptly post.
Any additional info you need just ask.

thanks and best regards,
vince
ps d/l TSRE5_v0.656 and preparing to edit. supper 1st.
v

#7 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:07 PM

I am happy that you want to use my editor.

#8 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:42 PM

View PostGoku, on 06 December 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

I am happy that you want to use my editor.

Hello Goku
I've just finished edit session on the BIG Sunnyside Yards tile. No problems at all! Same goes for Oak Point Hellgate Bridge area.
I ran ICHK after each area was edited. NO errors. Installed and moved obj. Cloned obj. Snap gantry to track !!! Holy Toledo! That's really neat!

I stumbled on the Terrain Paint function. BRAVO!! Something that's always been needed.

I have not tried track laying yet. I want to become proficient with the controls before getting into the database swamp.
I made notes as I used the editor.

Is there anyway to slow down camera movement? MSTS did it with end key.
I see you have mostly followed the MSTS editor io map keys. (in global folder)
What are your thoughts on the key mapping of your editor?

Anyway S U C C E S S !
Thanks much. A few more days testing making notes and learning your editor and I'll begin a tough one. Harold Interlocking at Sunnyside Yard needs a complete rebuild. I have the interlocking drawings so this will be the track laying test . . . in the largest tile in the route. Ouy!
Of course I'll do a little track practice installing in the East Williston area. It's end of track on the Oyster Bay Branch.

Goku, thanks so much. You have made possible the continuation of the LIRR build.
regards,
vince

#9 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:10 AM

Remember that Terrain Paint function is more "proof of concept" than "production tool", so use it wisely.

Slow down camera movement? I never thought about it. In next version it will be possible using Control.

What are your thoughts on the key mapping of your editor?

I'd like if using AWSD all keys are available using one hand.
In the future will be possible using custom key mapping, but not now.

Harold Interlocking at Sunnyside Yard needs a complete rebuild. I have the interlocking drawings so this will be the track laying test . . . in the largest tile in the route. Ouy!

If you want to remove large part of the existing tracks using TSRE, I have warning for you. In some rare cases it may cause old MSTS RE will be unable to save changes in TDB in the future and this issue is undetectable and not possible to fix:
http://www.elvastowe...post__p__196269
Of course if you have no plans using MSTS RE for track building in the future, there is no risk.

#10 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:48 AM

View PostGoku, on 07 December 2016 - 12:10 AM, said:

..............snip.....................
In the future will be possible using custom key mapping, but not now. If you want to remove large part of the existing tracks using TSRE, I have warning for you. In some rare cases it may cause old MSTS RE will be unable to save changes in TDB in the future and this issue is undetectable and not possible to fix: http://www.elvastowe...post__p__196269
Of course if you have no plans using MSTS RE for track building in the future, there is no risk.

Trashing the Harold Interlocking warning noted! BTW, this is first interlocking you come to after passing east through the East River Tunnels out of Penn Station.
I plan to begin track editing today (haven't had coffee yet) on a very small scale out at the east end of the main line.
I'll see how it goes. First edit a single tracksection, adjust and test.
I need LOTS of practice before I'll feel confident installing track and am considering a practice session with one of the default routes.

Thanks for considering the slow camera. The 'End' key enabled in MSTS RE but you had to hold the key. Toggle instead of hold key? Not sure.

Another thing;
How about the MSTS 'Snap' feature? It uses the Bounding Box to 'snap' objects together. Ex: WireFence50m.s
Here is the datablock in the Shape Data (SD) file.
Here is code block from a MSTS default object WireFence50m.s wire fence.
SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0t1t______

shape ( WireFence50m.s
	ESD_Detail_Level ( 9 )
	ESD_Alternative_Texture ( 1 )
	ESD_Bounding_Box ( -25 0 0 25 1.5 0 )
	ESD_No_Visual_Obstruction ()
	ESD_Snapable   ( )
)

In MSTS the ESD_Snapable ( ) line allows the object to be 'snapped' to another object with a corresponding snap enabled Shape Data file by pressing the 'x' key in the MSTS RE which toggles the feature on/off. (there is no indication of the feature on or off in MSTS.

I see you do have a feature that will align say a power gantry to track. This is great! Do you have a way to use the ESD_Snappable enabled objects?
I use the feature a lot and have MANY objects I have enabled the feature on.
THere is also an entire Class of objects that has been created called 'Snappers'. A large set of sections of urban buildings, streets, sidewalks, stop signs, and so on. You'll see them in my route if you take a ride to Long Beach on the Long Beach Branch.
This is where I first started using the 'Snappers' sets of buildings. I used the feature to assemble all the station platforms on the Long Beach Branch.

I am hoping you have plans for enabling ( if not done already! I'm still learning ) the 'snap' feature.
Thank you.

regards,
vincs

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users