• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CNJ Barnegat Branch Drill 1969 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MMSS 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:08 PM

Nice to be back after a long (too long) hiatus due to health problems. I missed posting screenshots on here. Here is a drill I love running on my modified Blue Comet Route. A CNJ Barnegat Branch drill (Known as 1st Barnegat) back in '69 when it ran between Lakehurst & Forked River. Here are a few shots of it running through South Toms River & one of the actual drill from 1972 showing how close automobiles would park to the ROW. I remember plenty of times the conductor going into the stores along the track having people move them cars. Only in NJ :rolleyes:

Crossing the trestle over Jake's Branch
Attached Image: CNJ_1969_01.jpg

Passing by stores along the ROW in S. Toms River
Attached Image: CNJ_1969_02.jpg

Actually photo of one of the drills on this branch showing how close cars would park long the ROW
Attached Image: CNJ_STR_Rt166.jpg

A view looking towards the Toms River & Downtown Toms River
Attached Image: CNJ_1969_04.jpg

Heading towards NJ Pulverizing & Lacey Lumber at Beachwood
Attached Image: CNJ_1969_05.jpg

Enjoy - Mark

#2 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:50 AM

I grew up along the B&O Georgetown Branch in Washington DC, which had a section of street running. When the train ran in evenings, people would park badly and sometimes on the tracks. I recall one time the entire crew (4 people in those days) bounced and picked up a car and just moved it out of the way. Sometimes they had cars towed when there were a lot.
Christopher

#3 User is offline   MMSS 

• Hostler

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

View Postconductorchris, on 02 December 2016 - 06:50 AM, said:

I grew up along the B&O Georgetown Branch in Washington DC, which had a section of street running. When the train ran in evenings, people would park badly and sometimes on the tracks. I recall one time the entire crew (4 people in those days) bounced and picked up a car and just moved it out of the way. Sometimes they had cars towed when there were a lot.
Christopher

You have to love that Christopher. In the last years (1982-83) that this branch was drilled into this part, Conrail still had this problem. I use to know when they setoff at Trilco Terminal & made sure I was there. I use to go into the businesses there & have them move their cars. The crews were more than grateful & use to give me a cab or hack ride back to Lakehurst for the help. It be a 12 mile walk back to Bayville but oh so worth it to me back then.

#4 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:48 AM

By the way, your modified route looks really good!

#5 User is offline   MMSS 

• Hostler

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:46 AM

Thanks ! It has been a while since I worked on it. Have to start up again soon in between things. I marked certain areas I am working on first. Toms River area was first on the list because this part of the Barnegat Branch was so interesting. Red Bank was the last area I was working on. Might have to do a run through there later.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users