• You cannot reply to this topic

Bogie Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:43 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 29 November 2016 - 11:44 AM, said:

As with every game program, there is an ultimate polygon limit for a scene to render properly.

I'm not talking about ORTS not handling well models with a lot of polygons, because EMU shown in the picture moves as smooth as air, and in that screenshot, I'll say that with the 4 carriages, perhaps more than 500.000 polygons or more?.

The main problem is to get the model through Gmax and retexture it, if there was a plugin exporter from 3dsmax to .S, that would do it for the time being.

#22 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:33 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 29 November 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

In the beginning everybody understood that the only way OR would be a success was by pulling old content along with it as it evolved. There was also general agreement on making no promises about abstaining from new file formats. The implied counterpoint was no intention of dropping support for old formats. IOW the old formats -- stock MSTS -- would work but new features might be available only in new file formats.

And if you think specifically about the .s file it seems changes can be made within that format to add new features but existing modeling software won't be able to produce code for them. So it'll either have to be a new file format for those new features, meaning different different modeling tools. Once ypou get to that point you have to ask whether it would be better for those new tools to use the .s file format or something different. I wouldn't guess one way or the other on that. Them's just the facts of life, wholly independent of past practice and/or who is making the decisions. OTOH if nobody wants new features I expect the .s file will continue as is.

AFAIK that's still the operative principle today.

Yeah, that's right. Not going to drop .s because we add another model format, and it's not that clear what format we would add... or if we will just tweak .s.

#23 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:34 AM

I don't remember writting "you should drop .s format", re-read it again bitte schön. :sweatingbullets:

#24 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostGuille592, on 29 November 2016 - 01:43 PM, said:

....if there was a plugin exporter from 3dsmax to .S, that would do it for the time being.

Have you tried using conv3ds.exe located in the UTILS folder of MSTS? It's a command line utility released by Kuju to convert .3ds files to .S

#25 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:48 AM

I have a gui front end for conv3ds.exe, but cant remember where I found it.

#26 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

View Postsuperheatedsteam, on 19 December 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Have you tried using conv3ds.exe located in the UTILS folder of MSTS? It's a command line utility released by Kuju to convert .3ds files to .S

Yes, and believe me, that didn't solve the problem, no old tools work for me but Gmax, and you can't rely on him that much as it always gives errors when handling a high polygon model.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users