• You cannot reply to this topic

Bogie Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:53 PM

View Postdisc, on 23 November 2016 - 01:40 PM, said:

Wow. I've made a very detailed bogie for TS20xx, but the poly count was just 4200, and 9800 triangles. The latter that really matters, as the polygons are need to be broken to triangles at rendering, and this probably done at .s export.

Oh this is nothing, I made a portuguese loco for TS20XX where its bogies have almost 20000 each. :p Have to say it was one of my first models I made, and used a ton of polygons! xD Nowadays, I try to optimize very much my models. No alphas on bogies or in main parts thought, everything modelled. :sweatingbullets:

#12 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

Well, today I remembered that I used to do "dummies" for consists back in the days of MSTS, helping some trains that didn't couple perfectly, I created a small box and started playing up and down with numbers, so here you have it, the whole consist perfectly running up and down the "Cascaes" line in Portugal.
Attached Image: Open Rails 2016-11-25 12-27-04.jpg
No strange polygons (as now, the bogies are in another .s) all the animations work, have to rework some of them though, and it doesn't behave strangely, so yeah, another problem solved thanks to a botched job, but hey... It works!

Pls consider seriously another format to export directly from 3dsmax though... :cray:

:sign_thanks:

#13 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

Looks very good. I would not hold your breath waiting for an exporter from 3DSMax though. There is a need for one to export from Sketchup as well, Xplane and FSX both have one, but not MSTS/OR.

#14 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:57 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 25 November 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

There is a need for one to export from Sketchup as well, Xplane and FSX both have one, but not MSTS/OR.

An exporter for MSTS from Sketchup? I thought there was one. It's been talked about on here a lot. Or am I missing something?

#15 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:27 PM

View Postjovet, on 25 November 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

An exporter for MSTS from Sketchup? I thought there was one. It's been talked about on here a lot. Or am I missing something?

One that includes animation is needed. It has been done for Xplane and I think FSX as well.

#16 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:40 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 25 November 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

Looks very good. I would not hold your breath waiting for an exporter from 3DSMax though. There is a need for one to export from Sketchup as well, Xplane and FSX both have one, but not MSTS/OR.

Well, it has now been months since we last talked about a new format for Open Rails, guess that everyone has already forgot the conversation, it is kind of dissapointing though, because I've been able to manage and overpass the problems that gmax gives me, but it's still a pain in the bass. A new format perhaps will get a lot of people happier, exports done in no time and solve the problem of Sketchup users and Max users...

#17 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:56 AM

View PostGuille592, on 25 November 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

Well, it has now been months since we last talked about a new format for Open Rails, guess that everyone has already forgot the conversation, it is kind of dissapointing though, because I've been able to manage and overpass the problems that gmax gives me, but it's still a pain in the bass. A new format perhaps will get a lot of people happier, exports done in no time and solve the problem of Sketchup users and Max users...

But... if you are not a Sketchup or MAX user, like me, this kind of statement makes me scratch my head. I certainly don't want my modeling tool to suddenly become useless because it can only export a now legacy format. Being able to use S files was probably the main reason ORTS was created the way it was, no?

#18 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:37 AM

View Postpwillard, on 29 November 2016 - 09:56 AM, said:

But... if you are not a Sketchup or MAX user, like me, this kind of statement makes me scratch my head. I certainly don't want my modeling tool to suddenly become useless because it can only export a now legacy format. Being able to use S files was probably the main reason ORTS was created the way it was, no?

What I understood from the beggining is that, ORTS is having it's own format, sooner or later, but one of the points of the simulator is to "cut links" with MSTS tools and to have its own ones, format was included too.

That doesn't mean that because of the new format, ORTS should stop working with .S files, but for people like me, who like to detail models with polygons and not alphas, Gmax is more than obsolete.

I thought you were a 3DCanvas user?

#19 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:14 AM

View Postpwillard, on 29 November 2016 - 09:56 AM, said:

In the beginning everybody understood that the only way OR would be a success was by pulling old content along with it as it evolved. There was also general agreement on making no promises about abstaining from new file formats. The implied counterpoint was no intention of dropping support for old formats. IOW the old formats -- stock MSTS -- would work but new features might be available only in new file formats.

And if you think specifically about the .s file it seems changes can be made within that format to add new features but existing modeling software won't be able to produce code for them. So it'll either have to be a new file format for those new features, meaning different different modeling tools. Once ypou get to that point you have to ask whether it would be better for those new tools to use the .s file format or something different. I wouldn't guess one way or the other on that. Them's just the facts of life, wholly independent of past practice and/or who is making the decisions. OTOH if nobody wants new features I expect the .s file will continue as is.

AFAIK that's still the operative principle today.

#20 User is offline   copperpen 

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:44 AM

View PostGuille592, on 29 November 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

What I understood from the beggining is that, ORTS is having it's own format, sooner or later, but one of the points of the simulator is to "cut links" with MSTS tools and to have its own ones, format was included too.

That doesn't mean that because of the new format, ORTS should stop working with .S files, but for people like me, who like to detail models with polygons and not alphas, Gmax is more than obsolete.

I thought you were a 3DCanvas user?

As with every game program, there is an ultimate polygon limit for a scene to render properly. Personally, I am happy with several lower poly models instead of a single super-poly model that chugs along like a slideshow when more than one is in a scene. In all modelling there is a place for polygons and a place for alphas. Problem with OR currently is that it does not handle some alphas very well, unlike MSTS.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users