• You cannot reply to this topic

Goku con editor suggestion Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

Goku, while working with your con editor I saw some .wag names I did not care for and I wanted to change them. I spent some time searching for .wag edit w/o finding it. Then I tried .eng edit and of course it worked. IMO this could be improved if you are so inclined. In the main menu you have Consists and then to it's right there is Eng. Within Eng the first function is titled Find Consists. Why is that under Eng? The second function is called Open in External editor. This works for both .eng and .wag files. Seems odd for a function to work on .wags is located in a list titled Eng.

So thinking about this I'd like to suggest a solution that is perhaps a bit more difficult to code but from a UI perspective would be, IMO, a nice improvement: Consider using a right mouse click to pop up a function list... at least one function being Open in External Editor. This could apply when the mouse is located above a specific line in any of the lists, or an image. Maybe it would require clicking on the item first then doing the right mouse stuff, I dunno.

Once the program can deal with the right mouse click = pop up you could add some functions specific to the context... for instance if you click on a car in the consist display and then did right mouse click you could list functions like Delete, Reverse, Open in External editor, whatever.

I think it would make the program even easier for people to use.

Last suggestion is it would be nice to see a reload files button. After editing names for a while I wanted to see if I missed any and of course I needed to exit the program and start it up again. A reload files button is a modest improvement but I think people would still welcome it.

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 26 September 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

Within Eng the first function is titled Find Consists. Why is that under Eng?

Because it is Eng->FindMyConsists. It is related to current Eng, not current consist.

View PostGenma Saotome, on 26 September 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

The second function is called Open in External editor. This works for both .eng and .wag files. Seems odd for a function to work on .wags is located in a list titled Eng.

It is because everything in my engine is Eng.

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostGoku, on 26 September 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

Because it is Eng->FindMyConsists. It is related to current Eng, not current consist.

Ok... find consists where this specific .eng file is found. That makes sense. Perhaps "Find in consists" would help people understand the correct meaning.

Once you do that how do you reset the list in the left side column?

View PostGoku, on 26 September 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

It is because everything in my engine is Eng.

Do you mean ...because everything in my program is Eng? If yes, I have to ask: Do you actually expect people to know the string "Eng", as seen in your menu, actually means any kind of rolling stock and that 15 years of us knowing that .eng means locomotive should be tossed out?

If no, please explain because I do not understand what you meant.

#4 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 26 September 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

Once you do that how do you reset the list in the left side column?

Just choose Filter->All instead of last query.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users