• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TSRE5 Specific Track Grade Numerical Input Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   TSCraftsman 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

I'm trying to leave MSTS RE and make a move to TSRE5 as it looks like it is getting very intuitive.

I was wondering if there is a way to input track section grades numerically rather than hitting R and then using Ctrl 8 or 2 on the Numpad?
http://i.imgur.com/UAntwjG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Xq5s410.jpg

In the box as highlighted with orange.

I've tried inputing a specific grade percentage and it doesn't take or update the track piece. I find the Numpad 8 and 2 quite coarse adjustments even with Ctrl held down.

Thanks inadvance

Matt

#2 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

This is I find a common problem GUI programs, as far as I am concerned (Note 1), you need to be able to specify precise values directly. A good example of this is when one is designing a device say 2 metres long that requires measurements to be specified to fractions of a miilimetre, most drawing programs do not allow this in an easy fashion and it makes that task far more difficult than it needs to be. A small number of programs allow direct input of GUI data "blender" being a notable one.

I stlll have a Muto drawing machine (a VERY souped up drawing board) inspite of having a number of cad programs the Muto regularly gets used due to poor interface design of nearly all cad programs I have come across.

Note 1: To some extent this is a problem for most GUI programming toolkits, these assume everything will be done with the mouse, and one often has to go to some trouble to get access to the variable concerned.

Note 2: In my programming in Linux I do not use the higher level GUI toolkits (Gnome or KDE for example) as I find them bloated and slow, I stick with xlib, xintrinics and mesa (openGL) for all interface work, I do not regard the xlib toolkits difficult to use.

Lindsay

#3 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

Download new version, v0.630.

#4 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 25 September 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

This is I find a common problem GUI programs, as far as I am concerned (Note 1), you need to be able to specify precise values directly. A good example of this is when one is designing a device say 2 metres long that requires measurements to be specified to fractions of a miilimetre, most drawing programs do not allow this in an easy fashion and it makes that task far more difficult than it needs to be. A small number of programs allow direct input of GUI data "blender" being a notable one.

I stlll have a Muto drawing machine (a VERY souped up drawing board) inspite of having a number of cad programs the Muto regularly gets used due to poor interface design of nearly all cad programs I have come across.

Note 1: To some extent this is a problem for most GUI programming toolkits, these assume everything will be done with the mouse, and one often has to go to some trouble to get access to the variable concerned.

Note 2: In my programming in Linux I do not use the higher level GUI toolkits (Gnome or KDE for example) as I find them bloated and slow, I stick with xlib, xintrinics and mesa (openGL) for all interface work, I do not regard the xlib toolkits difficult to use.

Lindsay

ACD Canvas allows direct input of object size affecting whatever's selected in the standard toolbar. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in Linux/Wine - I've tried it, it appears to install but can't find the corporate server to activate, and doesn't work with a disconnected install either. Too bad; that and Open Rails are the only things preventing me from dumping Windows.

#5 User is offline   TSCraftsman 

• Apprentice

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:42 PM

This is awesome thanks for making the numerical input happen you just made my day! This is a great improvement in laying track to grade according to track charts in a very short amount of time now! Owe you a beverage :drinks:

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

HUGE ergonomic improvement over KUJU's junk.

#7 User is offline   TSCraftsman 

• Apprentice

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:13 PM

Just trying to wrap my head around what the top input box is in relation to grade percent. The old Kuju RE worked in Angle of grade in degrees and with the aid of the Gradient Chart. I'll admit I don't know what the %. or the 1 in 'x'm Boxes in the Elevation: Properties works out as.

#8 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:26 AM

View PostTSCraftsman, on 25 September 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

Just trying to wrap my head around what the top input box is in relation to grade percent. The old Kuju RE worked in Angle of grade in degrees and with the aid of the Gradient Chart. I'll admit I don't know what the %. or the 1 in 'x'm Boxes in the Elevation: Properties works out as.

The symbol on the screen shots is the per-mille symbol (‰). Whereas a percent (%) is a fraction of 100, a per-mille is a fraction of 1000.
If a track gradient causes its elevation to rise 1 meter for every 100 meters of track distance, then it is a 1% grade. 1÷100 = 0.01 = 1%.
Specifying values in per-mille allows for more granularity. The above example would be a 10‰ grade.

The "1 in X m" box lets you specify a grade when you know how long the run of track should be for every meter change.

#9 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:11 AM

Just like we have a tool to translate the Kuji measurements into the real world gradient is it worth creating the same for TSRE?

chris

#10 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:21 AM

But what is wrong with current values?
https://en.wikipedia...ki/Grade_(slope)#Nomenclature
I have 2,3 and 4 options:
2 and 3 -> Permile xy.z = percent x.yz
4 -> the second box.

• 4 Pages +