• You cannot reply to this topic

Remove Open Rails complitlly Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   nounours1952 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / OR

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:49 PM

Hello everybody,

in order to get a new and clear installation of Open Rails V1, I would like to remove the actual installation. Remove it with the program manager doesn't work properly. When I make a new installation, I automaticcally get back my old options!

Can you please tell me the way for a correct de-installation of OR?

Thank's a lot.

Amicalement

This post has been edited by nounours1952: 23 August 2016 - 10:55 PM

#2 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

View Postnounours1952, on 23 August 2016 - 10:49 PM, said:

Hello everybody,

in order to get a new and clear installation of Open Rails V1, I would like to remove the actual installation. Remove it with the program manager doesn't work properly. When I make a new installation, I automaticcally get back my old options!

Can you please tell me the way for a correct de-installation of OR?

Thank's a lot.

Amicalement

I can't give you anything official, being just a user of Open Rails. But I have installed and uninstalled it several times. Frankly, it's easier to do than most other Windows software - more like Linux.

I've searched the registry in my Windows 10 machine and found nothing where Open Rails might be storing settings; doesn't mean I was searching for the right key, of course. If you run CCLEANER after uninstalling OR, it should show you any "dangling" registry entries for it. There *is* a folder for Open Rails in Application Data (or AppData in some machines)>Roaming within the User folder for the account which you're logged in to for running Open Rails; OR appears to cache some data (settings?) there from each run, and save data from activities is there as well. If uninstalling Open Rails the normal way doesn't get rid of the Application Data folder, you can delete it manually. If multiple accounts are used to run OR, there will be multiple copies of this folder. Finally, if uninstalling doesn't get rid of the Open Rails program folder (in Program Files for 32-bit Windows, Program Files (x86) in 64-bit Windows, or someplace else if you put it there), you can just delete it and any shortcuts pointing at program files within it.

Given how complete it is otherwise, I'd be surprised if there isn't something about this in the Open Rails manual that ships (as a PDF file) with a full install. I'm sure one of the development team will respond soon with other comments.

#3 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

From the Open Rails development team in another thread called "v1 installation"

To uninstall OpenRails including settings, but not saved games, do this (and this can go in to the manual for anyone listening):
  • Remove any and all copies of Open Rails (uninstall them and delete them as appropriate).
  • Delete the "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Open_Rails" directory (contains some settings for contributed programs).
  • Delete the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OpenRails\ORTS" registry key (contains user settings including Content folders).

To completely wipe out everything including your saved games, etc.:
  • Delete the "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Open Rails" directory (may exist from earlier versions?).
  • Delete the "%APPDATA%\Open Rails" directory (contains saved games, save packs and more).

#4 User is offline   nounours1952 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / OR

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:55 PM

Hi,

many thanks both for your answer. I'll try the way shown by longiron. This is what I did at first, including manually remove from the registry, but I probably forgot something.

Kindly

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users