• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

gap between couplings Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:11 AM

Are you moving the top node or just the top node's pivot? The former will cause issues, the latter won't. I made a more detailed post at trainsim.com:

So I just downloaded TSM and ran some tests. Indeed you can move the top node's pivot to your heart's content without affecting the children's animations. What I think is missing here is an understanding that the origin in TSM and the center of the final exported model have absolutely nothing to do with each other. The location of the top node's pivot determines the model center. I think that TSM users have been trying to solve the problem by moving the entire model and then moving the individual part pivots (since TSM doesn't move them with each other for whatever reason). The solution is as simple as opening the translate dialog box, selecting "axis only," and then moving the pivot to a place that will put the model in the right place.

To calculate the amount of translation required, you will need to locate the correct edges of the model and find the average between them. The simplest way to do this would be to find the z-axis (fore/aft) location of one vertex on the front coupler or buffer, then find the matching vertex on the opposite coupler or buffer, add the two values, then divide by two. This will give you the proper location of the top node pivot. Then it's a simple matter of finding out where that pivot presently is, and doing some basic arithmetic to find out how much translation is required.

I'll walk you through an example. Let's say I have a locomotive that is off-center, and let's presume that this locomotive has buffers at each end. So I select a single vertex from the furthest forward part of one of the front buffers, and get a z-value of 10.125m. Let's say I then select the furthest aft vertex of one of the aft buffers and get a z-value of -10.250m. I then add these two values together to get -0.125m, and divide by two to get the correct location of the model center, which is -0.0625m. Let's say the top node pivot is located at a z-value of 0m. I then simply translate the pivot -0.0625m by entering that value in the translate dialog and clicking "axis only."

Let's say I did all the same work, but the top node's pivot was originally located at z=-0.213m. Subtract -0.213 from -0.0625 to yield +0.1505m.

Note that what TSM calls the z-axis, 3DS/GMax calls the y-axis. Most Max users are probably already familiar with the "affect pivot only/affect object only/affect hierarchy only" buttons on the hierarchy tab, though.

#42 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:51 AM

Only the pivot was moved.

In short I made the first model - centred at origin.

Converted to second variation 0.304 m longer at front end. Following the instructions selected "Main" (the top of the hierarchy) and selected move axis only 0.152 m in the z direction.

Did not move any parts of the model at all in TSM. (Had I done that as previously discussed I would have messed up the animations anyway!)

#43 User is offline   ianmacmillan 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:40 AM

Easy way to move the model in TSM is to measure the distance between the buffers or couplings.
Then make a box of that length.

Select all parts (A) and deselect the new box.
Then slide the parts to fit inside the box and re-centre the main part to origin.
The pivots for animated parts should move with the part.

#44 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:54 AM

Moving all parts to fit the new centre works fine for rotations as rotations are about the centres of the animated parts.

The problem with TSM is that the animations of motion (as opposed to rotation) are based on the origin and do not move when you move the parts.

#45 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

I am now thinking that what Erick said earlier might work if all parts are children of "Main" (that is there are no grandchildren)... I will try changing the hierarchy and see what effect that has.

#46 User is offline   a408814361 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:55 AM

Can you gave me the Gmax ? please chick it to email:408814361@qq.com I need it.Thank you very much.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users