• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

gap between couplings Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

OR is using CentreOfGravity(), but unfortunately not in the way it should be used.

Edward K.

#12 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

View Postedwardk, on 12 August 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

OR is using CentreOfGravity(), but unfortunately not in the way it should be used.

How should CentreOfGravity be used in OR?

#13 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

Evidently, MSTS use of CentreOfGravity() should be replicated in OR. It was probably determined at one point that it was not too important to work on, but this post is indicating the opposite.

Edward K.

#14 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:00 PM

View PostHobo, on 11 August 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

You said a " Sister " locomotive . Is the model the same with only different FA and color or a different model altogether ?

Please check your mailbox

View Postianmacmillan, on 12 August 2016 - 01:38 AM, said:

Easiest solution is to set the size of the tender to be correct for the rear coupling and insert an invisible wagon between the loco and tender.

Thanks. An unexpected solution. Placing an "invisible car" between the locomotive and tender I think is not a good idea. I expect a tender as a second car does not function properly. The gap is at the front, but then you turn out the light problems ( incl. headlight on track). So it will have to be placed on the tender side. I will try it once soon .

View Postslipperman, on 12 August 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

It appears that Open Rails doesn't read the CentreOfGravity entry from the eng file. This loco's entry is : CentreOfGravity ( 0m 2m -1.3m ). If that line is replaced with : CentreOfGravity ( 0m 0m 0m ) and run with MSTS, EXACTLY the same problem occurs with the front-coupled wagon.

Thank you for testing. Now I understand why I had no problems in MSTS...

I'm not sure, but I see in the default file the following lines:
CentreOfGravity ( 0m 2m -1.3m )
Centre ( 0m 0m -1.3m)
Is it just CentreOfGravity or maybe a combination with Centre? (Difference in MSTS or ORTS)

#15 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:30 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 12 August 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

How should CentreOfGravity be used in OR?

Check the last part of the coupling tutorial at Steam4me.

#16 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:25 AM

I'm working on a fix in https://bugs.launchp...or/+bug/1649285

#17 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:22 AM

View Postslipperman, on 12 August 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

It appears that Open Rails doesn't read the CentreOfGravity entry from the eng file. This loco's entry is : CentreOfGravity ( 0m 2m -1.3m ). If that line is replaced with : CentreOfGravity ( 0m 0m 0m ) and run with MSTS, EXACTLY the same problem occurs with the front-coupled wagon.

As has been mentioned previously, it seems that the only way to correct it for the current version of OR is to modify the shape file. That doesn't seem to be the right way to go, because who knows how many other locos will have the same problem? Wouldn't it be better if OR read that entry and acted on it as MSTS does?

This should be fixed in X3693.

#18 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:22 AM

There is a similair problem in Australia with a payware model of Victorian Railways H220, for some unknown reason the developers made the tender to long at the front for its bounding box and they then put an invisible wagon containing just the locomotives crew to space it back . In this case though it was possible to solve the issue and go without this invisible wagon by changing the tenders bounding box. Surely though if the bounding box does not match the shape file there's an error with the model as there is in this case

Lindsay

#19 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:56 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 12 December 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

This should be fixed in X3693.

Just been dealing with an articulated locomotive that uses centreofgravity to position the lead section. This works fine in MSTS, but with the OR version of CofG, I have to subtract 2 meters to get it in the same place. Seems like the OR CofG is working in reverse when compared to MSTS because OR offsets the lead unit to the rear by those 2 meters'

#20 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:50 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 28 December 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

Just been dealing with an articulated locomotive that uses centreofgravity to position the lead section. This works fine in MSTS, but with the OR version of CofG, I have to subtract 2 meters to get it in the same place. Seems like the OR CofG is working in reverse when compared to MSTS because OR offsets the lead unit to the rear by those 2 meters'

Hmm, strange. The CoG calculation in Open Rails is very simple: shift wagon by amount. The problem I found was that MSTS has a lot of interaction between Wagon>Size, Wagon>CentreOfGravity, and the bounding box of the shape. Lots of things I tried to experiment with just did garbage in MSTS or it ignored some settings, or even positioned everything visually where I expected but broke the couplings! I am pretty sure I got the direction right but if you have an example I can look at where it's deviating from MSTS, we can check.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users