Translation questions Not "What is?", but "Why is?" Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

<Admin comment 2020-06-08>
Thread moved here from the private ORTS development forum so it can benefit a wider range of translators who do not necessarily have access to the private forum. The info might be dated in parts, but most of it is still valid.

After a - rather long - while, I´ve finally made to work on the German translation of ORTS again. And, like so many times before, the same three questions have come to my mind - and now I´m finally going to ask them ;)

• Why do we have the folder "Orts.Formats.OR" in the locales folder? The POT (and, thus, all language-specific PO) file(s) only contain a single string to be translated. According to POedit´s Reference function, that one is located in "..\..\ORTS.Formats\ORTimetableFile.cs:289"
  • Why do we have a similar folder "ORTS.Formats", that contains a POT file (and the de.po), which contains NOT A SINGLE translation?
  • Why are all translation for the contributed programs mixed together in "Contrib"? I can´t see what that helps with, other than making it overly complicated for the translator to find out what goes to which program (as if finding out what goes to which dialogue, and how to get there for checking, isn´t complicated enough, the way strings are not commented at all in the PO(T)s)).

Cheers, Markus

#2 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

The POT files are (always) generated automatically, and it always takes the name of the directory in Source.
Don't know if we can modify that in the .Net Gettext library that we use.

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

View PostSerana, on 28 July 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

The POT files are (always) generated automatically, and it always takes the name of the directory in Source.
Don't know if we can modify that in the .Net Gettext library that we use.

:sign_thanks: for your reply and :sign_sorry: for the really late reply.

That explains 1 and 3 (although I still think, separating Contrib into categories like Contrib.Trackviewer, Contrib.ActivityEditor, etc, would help a lot.

What's it about with question 2, though?

Cheers, Markus

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users