Elvas Tower: Air Brakes - Additional Features - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Air Brakes - Additional Features Rate Topic: -----

#91 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

View PostQJ-6811, on 20 March 2017 - 01:09 AM, said:

The brake pipe leakage of the train you should notice in the "Hold / Neutral" position.
After my opinion also in the "TrainBrakesControllerNeutralhandleOffStart" ?

The big challenge with implementing this on different brakes is the definition of the types of brake tokens used to define the brake controller. So for example if the Hold token has different meaning in different brake controllers, then it is very difficult to implement, and would need a new token defined for it.

At one stage I did attempt to define the different brake controllers, and associated tokens, but it was never completed.

See here for the work that was started.

At the moment I am focused on a number of other activities, but if you are interested in working to define a set of common brake tokens, let me know, and we might be able to arrange something.

#92 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:58 AM

One of the changes made to Vacuum Brakes was to calculate the volume of the train brakes system, and adjust the Brake Pipe charging and discharging rates depending on the volume of the brake system connected.

This in effect means that the application / release rates are varied automatically depending upon the "length" of the train.This more closely mirror real life operation which sees the brake release / application rates impacted by the volume of air that needs to be pumped into or out of the brake system.

Currently a single value can only be entered into the ENG file which sets a fixed value independent of train lengths in different consists.

If there are no objections, it is proposed to implement this capability into air brakes. This will require some rework of some of the brake parameters.

Thanks

#93 User is offline   hroch 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:36 AM

Hello,

I agree with this blueprint. I have two requests for parameter ORTSBrakeShoeFriction.

First request:
It was possible to, that the parameter ORTSBrakeShoeFriction worked with a simple adhesion model. There are players, who use a simple model of adhesion because, they have problems with the advanced model of adhesion. For example, low FPS=wheelslip on their PC and etc. The brake force of this locomotive was setup in cooperation with real enginers. The locomotive brakes unrealistically, because the braking force does not decrease. She has big braking power.

Second request:
The parameter ORTSBrakeShoeFriction superior to the adhesion factor correction as an advanced parameter. Modeller can not tell each player to set the parameter adhesion factor correction to 100%. Yes, it can write to readme, but players do not read it. Only download skin/model inserts into Trainset and play. Usually each player has a parameter adhesion factor correction set differently. Then it is useless work, because brakes work differently for each player. For example, models from these webpages. Very many models/skin very many players are downloading.

Thanks

#94 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

View Posthroch, on 29 January 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

I agree with this blueprint. I have two requests for parameter ORTSBrakeShoeFriction.

Thanks for the support

I would like to provide my thoughts on these two requests.

First request:

To me the simple adhesion model has developed as a default "low physics" model, which makes basic train operation easier. This means that a number of the advanced physics options do not work in it. This thus allows people who are more interested in just running trains, and who do not want to be bothered with physics "problems" when running trains due to advanced physics features. Thus perhaps it is time for a simple and advanced mode of operation to be introduced. Simple mode - trains run with little regard to physics, and Advanced mode allows for trains to run to physics.

Second request:

One of the supposed strengths of OR (perhaps it is also a weakness as you describe) is the ability for users to select from a myriad of options. This has occurred over time in the simulator as developers were not necessarily comfortable to mandate certain features. I believe that this approach has introduced a high level of complexity, especially in testing and debugging, as a lot more scenarios need to be considered. It has also lead to situations similar to the one that you describe.

On occasions there has been discussions about simplifying the number of options available in the OPTIONS Menu, so I am sympathetic to these proposed changes, but I think they need a broader discussion, and a developer who has time to take them on. Perhaps some of them could be moved to a configuration file, which would make them less visible, and thus less likely to change.

Anyway if you, or anybody wishes, to discuss either of these two requests further, I would ask that separate thread(s) are created for the discussion rather then this thread being used.

Thanks

#95 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 March 2022 - 12:16 PM

View PostATW, on 12 July 2016 - 01:12 AM, said:

Will there be a air flow indicator to determine BP leakage?

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 12 July 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

The existing MSTS parameter - TrainPipeLeakRate will be used. This parameter is in the ENG file, and it is expected that this value would be set at < 5psi/min.

I am coming to this post 6 years too late, but I now realise that something was missed here somewhere.

An air flow indicator is found in the cab of a locomotive. It shows how fast air is flowing into the air brake pipe.

This is an example:

https://i.imgur.com/uhpNKZp.jpg

The scale is in Litre/s and reads from 0 to 10.

A check of the list here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__280752 has nothing like this that can be put into a cvf file at the present time.

It would be good to add this to the long wish list of things that we have.

#96 User is offline   akioyamamura 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 26 March 2022 - 02:36 PM

View Postdarwins, on 26 March 2022 - 12:16 PM, said:

I am coming to this post 6 years too late, but I now realise that something was missed here somewhere.

An air flow indicator is found in the cab of a locomotive. It shows how fast air is flowing into the air brake pipe.

Agree! I miss the flow indicator, every american heav haul locomotive have a flow indicator. To complement I only suggest that the Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM) are added as unit of measurement.

#97 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 27 March 2022 - 12:25 PM

When we get there it seems we will need two such gauges when possible, one for the air brake pipe - white needle in the picture and one for the main reservoir - red needle above.

#98 User is offline   mozdonyos 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 17 April 2022 - 06:57 AM

Hi!

My question to the developers would be, is there any plan to develop speed-dependent brake cylinder pressure in the near future?
As I pay attention to the direction of development, the program has been handling the empty-loaded state automatically for quite some time.
This speed-dependent brake cylinder pressure is quite common in RIC cars that travel in several countries, and I personally miss this quite a bit from the simulation.

Thank you so much for the response from the developers!

Regards.

#99 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 April 2022 - 11:33 AM

View Postmozdonyos, on 17 April 2022 - 06:57 AM, said:

Hi!

My question to the developers would be, is there any plan to develop speed-dependent brake cylinder pressure in the near future?
As I pay attention to the direction of development, the program has been handling the empty-loaded state automatically for quite some time.
This speed-dependent brake cylinder pressure is quite common in RIC cars that travel in several countries, and I personally miss this quite a bit from the simulation.

Thank you so much for the response from the developers!

Regards.

Hello,

I am pleased to hear this is needed elsewhere. This existed on a small number of British trains, including the HST. So one more feature to add to the wish list.

Thanks

Darwin

#100 User is offline   mozdonyos 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 19 April 2022 - 10:30 AM

View Postdarwins, on 18 April 2022 - 11:33 AM, said:

Hello,

I am pleased to hear this is needed elsewhere. This existed on a small number of British trains, including the HST. So one more feature to add to the wish list.

Thanks

Darwin

Hi!

It is very common in Hungary and in the surrounding countries in domestic traffic, not to mention international traffic, where all passenger cars are equipped with a "R" position train derailleur, which operates with a speed-dependent brake cylinder pressure.

In Hungary, locomotives approved for speeds higher than 100 km / h also operate with speed-dependent brake cylinder pressure.
V43 with two pressures (3.8 bar, 8 bar) with V63 3 (2.1 bar [below 15 km / h], 3.8 bar [15-70km / h, 8bar [70-160km / h])

For passenger cars, the maximum brake cylinder pressure R is typically below 1.7-2.1 bar below the changeover speed and 3.8 bar above the changeover speed.

The switching speed is 70-75 km / h for acceleration and 55-60 km / h for deceleration.
So above 70 km / h there is a high brake cylinder pressure (8 bar for locomotives, 3.8 bar for cars) and a low brake cylinder pressure below 55 km / h (3.8 bar for locomotives, 1.7-2.1 bar depending on the type)
Of course, the braking force changes accordingly.

By developing this function, near-real braking could be simulated.

Thanks, Regards.

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users