• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jerky superelevation effect Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:23 PM

After applying this fix, now the issues of some cars being grey has returned. Only started that when I installed the above files. Needs work, unfortunately; but the camera modification seems to work well enough.

#12 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:03 AM

Don't bother about grey cars. This is due to the fact that the RunactivityLAA.exe file included in the patch wasn't really a large address aware file. So you have less memory available and have grey cars.

Now I have put a real RunactivityLAA.exe within Superelevation3.zip that you find in post #8. The grey cars should disappear.

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

My bug report for removal of camera inclination was rejected by James Ross because he doesn't consider it a bug, but a (by him) wanted effect.
So I opened a blueprint here https://blueprints.l...racking-cameras .
I hope it is approved, because here I see only opinions in favour of the removal of camera inclination.

#14 User is offline   Z31SPL 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

I think this removal of camera inclination is what I submitted on the trello board under "stable/helicopter external camera" I haven't tried your patch yet but I'm assuming when the loco tilts the camera doesn't tilt also? (This always made it hard for me to judge grade and super-elevation) If that is correct you can remove it from the board or move it into the 1.2 area I guess.

Here is the Trello post

#15 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

Yes, it is what you mean, but limited to side tilt. If there is a grade the camera rotates upwards like the train as of now.

#16 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 01 July 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

I think it's not only me that is experiencing here and there jerky superelevation effects.
I have now isolated what I think could be a test case, in the Europe1 route, with attached path
Attachment Testfreightweight.zip
More or less at this point
Attachment Jerky.jpg
the loco abruptly changes inclination, which can be best seen with camera #8. Coming from the left (from the switch) the loco inclines, however after some meters it returns to an almost vertical position. I checked with the route editor what track pieces are present there. After the switch there is a curved section A1tEndPnt10dLft.s and then a curved section A1t500r20d.s. When the loco reaches this second section, the loco inclination is abruptly reduced.

With release 1.0 the transition is smooth.

The code in 1.0, which you've included in your patch, is quite the wrong way to do things IMHO. It is not fixing the super-elevation at all (which would benefit multiple bits of code) but just applying an arbitrary smoothing to the visuals - and one which is not deterministic.

The real problem is the code which calculates the super-elevation values, which I did not change.

View PostCsantucci, on 01 July 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

By the way with release 1.0 cameras 2 and 3 don't incline following the train inclination. I prefer it.

View PostCsantucci, on 05 July 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

My bug report for removal of camera inclination was rejected by James Ross because he doesn't consider it a bug, but a (by him) wanted effect.
So I opened a blueprint here https://blueprints.l...racking-cameras .
I hope it is approved, because here I see only opinions in favour of the removal of camera inclination.

I'm not in favour of it, so not everyone, but if there's no other objections (I thought someone else also liked it my way but can't see who) I'll approve it.

#17 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:20 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 07 July 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

The code in 1.0, which you've included in your patch, is quite the wrong way to do things IMHO. It is not fixing the super-elevation at all (which would benefit multiple bits of code) but just applying an arbitrary smoothing to the visuals - and one which is not deterministic.

The real problem is the code which calculates the super-elevation values, which I did not change.

I agree that it is a problem of the superelevation code, that you didn't change. I tried to look at it with no success up to now.
As in this case the visual aspect is very important, in my opinion returning to the original filter is an acceptable provisional mitigation of the problem. I have no other ideas and would be happy to commit it at the moment.

James Ross said:

I'm not in favour of it, so not everyone, but if there's no other objections (I thought someone else also liked it my way but can't see who) I'll approve it.

Thank you.

What about train tilting, that has removed from the code? May I re-introduce it?

#18 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:23 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 07 July 2016 - 11:20 PM, said:

I agree that it is a problem of the superelevation code, that you didn't change. I tried to look at it with no success up to now.
As in this case the visual aspect is very important, in my opinion returning to the original filter is an acceptable provisional mitigation of the problem. I have no other ideas and would be happy to commit it at the moment.

Please include a comment like this for future generations:

// TODO This is a hack until we fix the super-elevation code as described in http://www.elvastower.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28751-jerky-superelevation-effect/

View PostCsantucci, on 07 July 2016 - 11:20 PM, said:

What about train tilting, that has removed from the code? May I re-introduce it?

Hmm, it wasn't intentionally removed, although the code was extensively changed in some places so quite possibly got lost. What's the patch look like, is it really simple?

#19 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:06 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 08 July 2016 - 02:23 AM, said:

Please include a comment like this for future generations:
// TODO This is a hack until we fix the super-elevation code as described in http://www.elvastower.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28751-jerky-superelevation-effect/

Thank you, done and uploaded in x.3593.

James Ross said:

Hmm, it wasn't intentionally removed, although the code was extensively changed in some places so quite possibly got lost. What's the patch look like, is it really simple?

I still have to prepare it, and will attach it when ready.

#20 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 07 July 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

Could you pls. approve blueprint https://blueprints.l...racking-cameras , so that I can upload the patch?

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users