• Attached Image: Open Rails 2016-06-04 02-16-22.jpg
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2016-06-04 02-16-26.jpg

#12 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

Gosh... multiple car spawner lists to choose from when setting down a spawner. Great idea.

Any chance of enabling some variation of car and car volume by time of day? Something like this:
CarSpawnerList(
	ListsPresent (2)
	List ( 
		Name ( " String A" )
		Timing (
			StartTime ( HH )
			EndTime ( HH )
			Items (
				CarSpawnerItem( "car1.s" 4 )
				CarSpawnerItem( "postbus.s" 4 )
			)
		)
		Timing (
			StartTime ( HH )
			EndTime ( HH )
			Items (
				CarSpawnerItem( "car1.s" 6 )
				CarSpawnerItem( "truck1.s" 13 )
				CarSpawnerItem( "postbus.s" 5 )
			)
		)
		Timing (
			StartTime ( HH )
			EndTime ( HH )
			Items (
				CarSpawnerItem( "car1.s" 3 )
			)
		)
	)
	List ( 
		Name ( " String B" )
		Timing (
			StartTime ( HH )
			EndTime ( HH )
			Items (
				CarSpawnerItem( "policePHIL.s" 2 )
			)
		)
		Timing (
			StartTime ( HH )
			EndTime ( HH )
			Items (
				CarSpawnerItem( "policePHIL.s" 2 )
				CarSpawnerItem( "car1.s" 9 )
				CarSpawnerItem( "postbus.s" 6 )
			)
		)
		Timing (
			StartTime ( HH )
			EndTime ( HH )
			Items (
				CarSpawnerItem( "car1.s" 4 )
			)
		)
	)
)

#13 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 31 May 2016 - 04:35 AM, said:

That could be done with two files added in the Openrails subfolder of the concerned route folder....

Why make it more complex than it needs to be? Train.exe is never going to see them if they are assigned new names so why hide them? Come up with useful file names and stick 'em the route's root folder where they belong.

Five years from now when train.exe doesn't run on Win13 nobody is going to understand why there are all these Openrails subfolders all over the place.

#14 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:55 PM

In my eyes not to change any MSTS file is a good principle of OR so far. And it should be continued.

But maybe the existing directory structure of a route can be co-used actually by OR. Therefore, I would put the OR car spawner files directly into the w-folder of the route, but named them with a prefix like "OR" or similar. For example, as "OR-w-011008+014318.w". In such files the additional OR informations can be written, just an individualized car spawner list for example.

Or you use an OR-owned folder (Csantucci named it "Openrails"), where the MSTS folder structure is shadowed and even double existing for OR using only. So there should be a w-folder too.

The containing of such "OR-w-011008+014318.w" file could be this:

OR-SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0w0t______

Tr_Worldfile (

CarSpawner (
		UiD ( 534 )
		CarFrequency ( 60 )
		CarAvSpeed ( 15 )
		TrItemId ( 1 243 )
		TrItemId ( 1 244 )
		StaticFlags ( 00000100 )
		Position ( -306.878 3.0166 40.4491 )
		QDirection ( 0 0 0 1 )
		VDbId ( 4294967295 )
		CarSpawnerList (
			CarSpawnerItem( "policePHIL.S" 6 )
			CarSpawnerItem( "postbus.s" 6 )
		)
		CarSpawnerSaison ( Spring )
 		CarSpawnerSaison ( Sommer 9:00-23:00)
 		CarSpawnerSaison ( Autumn )
		CarSpawnerDayTime ( 9:00-11:30 )
		CarSpawnerDayTime ( 19:00-23:00 )
 		CarSpawnerMSTSDefault ( no )
	)
)

Maybe some data of the original MSTS car spawner are given again and then an individualized list of vehicles for that specific car spawner follows. Possible further data could be given like different daytimes or saisons and so on.

It is also conceivable to put more information in one line per car:
"CarSpawnerItem( "policePHIL.S" 6 Spring 10:00-22:00 Sommer 6:00-23:30 Autumn 10:00-21:00 ).

However, at first the normal MSTS w-file is read by OR (this way the normal car spawner is loaded at least) and then OR will check if there is any OR-prefixed file with additional informations about the world tile.

Only suggestions of course. You see my enthusiasm about the whole topic.

#15 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:08 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 03 June 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

Why make it more complex than it needs to be? Train.exe is never going to see them if they are assigned new names so why hide them? Come up with useful file names and stick 'em the route's root folder where they belong.

Five years from now when train.exe doesn't run on Win13 nobody is going to understand why there are all these Openrails subfolders all over the place.

I'd prefer to keep all of our files in identifying directories for clarity of purpose, even if putting them elsewhere would not adversely affect MSTS.

#16 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:34 AM

I agree with James.
Moreover I prefer to keep the two files distinct: conceptually carspawnerstolists.dat is an extension of the .w files (and could be generated with a simple upgrade to the Goku RE), while extcarspawn.dat is an extension of carspawn.dat. Moreover one list can be recalled by many car spawners, so repeating it for every car spawner is not very nice. What could be considered is replacing the list index with a list name, which is more mnemonic.
I think also that Joseph's proposal is a bit restrictive, and also changes the existing logic for the carspawners.
Dave's idea about introducing some time of day parameters is a good one, and may be considered for extension of this feature.

Thank you for appreciation and contributions.

#17 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 03 June 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:

I'd prefer to keep all of our files in identifying directories for clarity of purpose, even if putting them elsewhere would not adversely affect MSTS.

You already have directories to use for clarity of purpose. Artificial sub-directories are the problem. What's going to happen to those when it's no longer necessary to hang on to KUJU's files? An empty parent directory and a full OR sub-directory? Come on James, that's ridiculous. Or even worse: KUJU files in one place and required OR files appended to the above in another? What kind of design is that? It's every bit as bad as what KUJU did w/ interactives and the world files.

I have many OR-only files in place (.engs and .wags) and they work just fine. No wanker OR subdirectories anywhere. The reason? I don't run MSTS in that directory structure. And it's not at all confusing. In fact, it's really quite clear and consistent with 15 years of thinking: Rolling stock goes in the \trainset directory.

#18 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

If OR files are spread in all the different original MSTS Route directories, I found this in the long run certainly confusing too.
But if OR would use the same directory structure as MSTS as a copy, you might find these files better, because you're already used to know this MSTS places.
Therefore, once again my proposal to basically define an OR directory ("Openrails" maybe) where then to find the same directory structure usally known from MSTS (only directories of course, not all the MSTS files again).
For the additional car spawner information of OR this would mean that you find it there:
Attached Image: DirLookUp.jpg
I believe that one's first impulse to search information is how he used to look at it. Therefore one seeks OR specific information about a car spawner first in the world files of the MSTS World directory of the route. If there is nothing to find one looks for it in the corresponding Open Rails directory ("Openrails/World/").
This would make sense I think, not only for car spawner issues, but also for files concerning to directories like "Path", "Tiles", "Sound" and other thinkable OR additional files in the future.

What do you think where to place additional OR files in principle?

#19 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 04 June 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

You already have directories to use for clarity of purpose. Artificial sub-directories are the problem. What's going to happen to those when it's no longer necessary to hang on to KUJU's files? An empty parent directory and a full OR sub-directory? Come on James, that's ridiculous. Or even worse: KUJU files in one place and required OR files appended to the above in another? What kind of design is that? It's every bit as bad as what KUJU did w/ interactives and the world files.

The "OpenRails" directories will not exist in OR-structured routes, with OR-specific file formats, but I believe they should exist any time the MSTS structure is used for OR-specific files/formats.

#20 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:16 PM

Howsoever, it works. A good thing to me. Thanks to Carlo! :thumbup3:
Attached Image: Open Rails 2016-06-04 10-09-42.jpg

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic