New Consist Editor for Open Rails Rate Topic: -----

#441 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 07 September 2020 - 06:02 AM

darwins, on 07 September 2020 - 05:45 AM, said:

As I said the output is not "intelligent" -

You have a steam loco that pulls hopper wagons at 100 mph in AI trains - because there is an MSTS legacy line in the eng file that says MaxVelocity ( 100mph ).
I have a steam loco that does not move at all in AI trains because the OR eng file does not contain a MaxVelocity line at all - none is required in OpenRails.

Whilst we have to stick to the MSTS system of using the .con file to determine AI train physics, we must have a more credible way of putting the data into the consist file.
That surely needs to consider

(a) the power of the locomotive and the mass and or resistance of the train
(B) the maximum permitted service speed of the rolling stock in the consist and the braking power of the train

OK. So join the OR team and fix the code.

#442 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:14 AM

Hi Darwin! You could use Timetable Mode where the parameters you are seeeking are held in the timetable and not in the consist file. This has the advantage of flexibility in that the train speed can be set low (e.g for a shunt mode) or higher for passenger or freight.
A lot of timetable mode features could enhance activity mode if ported across
#speed speedMPH speedkph - $max $cruise $creep . controls train speed
#note $acc $dec AI acceleration / braking
Plus a lot more control factors!
So for an AI British loose coupled freight #speedmph $max=35 #note $acc=0.3 $dec=0.3 (see manual)
This would apply even to a 100mph loco defined in the .con
Rick

#443 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:08 AM

Thanks Rick,

I think you are right. I am probably barking up the wrong tree. Timetable mode is the way forward. I shall no longer worry at all about the acceleration / deceleration factor in .con files.

For the purposes of explore route however, I still intend to manually enter a max speed for consists. (So it would be nice if the consist editor could do this directly in mph or km/h.)
This is because in explore mode the max permitted speed shown in the F4 HuD is either the line speed limit or the maxvelocity from the .con file (whichever is the lower).
I quite like the idea that the HuD tells me how fast I am allowed to travel with a particular train on a particular stretch of line.

#444 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 07 September 2020 - 11:25 AM

You do know that you don't have to close TSRE, open File Explorer, locate the CON file, then Open the file in a txt editor to edit the MaxVelocity.
Just use the TSRE menu Consist> Open in external editor (Provided you have told Windows what program to use to open CON files.)

#445 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 September 2020 - 12:22 PM

Thanks Charles. I have got that one now. It still requires me to convert from mph or kmh to m/s though.

#446 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 07 September 2020 - 12:31 PM

darwins, on 07 September 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

Thanks Charles. I have got that one now. It still requires me to convert from mph or kmh to m/s though.
So did the freeware ConBuilder. Plus you had to enter the Acceleration factor which is based on consist Mass and locomotive(s) MaxForce. If you did not enter any values, the freeware version enters MaxVelocity ( 40.000 1.0000 ).

FYI The ConBuilder Payware version calculates the Consist MaxVelocity values the same as the MSTS CE and now TSRE CE.

#447 User is offline   Reading2102 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:40 AM

Still learning... question regarding the "If you did not enter any values, the freeware version enters MaxVelocity ( 40.000 1.0000", Is there a way to change the default from that, rather than having to edit each .con in either TSRE or con builder? And if so, what is a more appropriate value for the default?

#448 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 November 2020 - 06:13 AM

Reading2102, on 14 November 2020 - 05:40 AM, said:

Still learning... question regarding the "If you did not enter any values, the freeware version enters MaxVelocity ( 40.000 1.0000", Is there a way to change the default from that, rather than having to edit each .con in either TSRE or con builder? And if so, what is a more appropriate value for the default?

YES. You can reverse engineer the MSTS CE to determine the logic and equations used to calculate the values. Then using those equations with the data from the consist to calculate the real values. Then using the freeware version of ConBuilder open the consist or before saving an newly created consist click on "Misc" on the menu and choose "Maxvelocity editor" from the pulldown and enter your calculated values.

#449 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:07 AM

There really is not an appropriate value for default. The best policy is to use a text editor to edit each consist file. Use the following steps to get the values.

1. Determine the maximum permitted speed of your consist. So if you have a 100 mph loco pulling 100mph passenger stock enter 100 mph, but if you have the same loco pulling 75 mph goods wagons then it is 75 mph. Change this to m/s using a converter so 100 mph * 0.447 = 44.7 m/s or 75 mph * 0.447 = 33.5 m/s.

2. If you are only using timetable mode don't worry about the second number, you can adjust acceleration or deceleration in the time table. If you are going to use the consist for an activity then first take a guess at the second number between 0 and 1 - some examples might be

0.95 for a light locomotive or a modern subway train 0.7 to 0.8 for diesel hauled passenger trains

0.6 to 0.7 for steam hauled passenger trains
0.3 to 0.4 for heavy freight trains

Then you need to tweak them to get them correct - they need to run to time over the specified route in your activity - so try them out - run the activity in speeded up mode and check if the arrive and depart from stations at the correct times - then increase or decrease the number as appropriate to get the correct performance from each train for your route and working timetables. After you have done a few trains you will probably figure out what figures you need to use for certain types of trains on a particular route. Numbers may be different for different types of trains and different routes.

#450 User is offline   sammyb1930 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: New Hire
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 06 October 2023 - 06:41 AM

Whenever I try to save a consist it doesn't save in the main game

I'm a little bit of a novice when it comes to MSTS & Open rails

Anyone have any tips to resolve this issue?

• 46 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users