Elvas Tower: Operational turntable - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Operational turntable Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#251 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:48 PM

Csantucci, on 09 May 2018 - 02:06 AM, said:

Hi vince, ............................................snip................................................-
Pls. note that the base .trk file (the one in the route's folder) must not have an empty line after the last parenthesis, else the include mechanism does not work (found out this today...)

Hello Carlo,
Yes sir I did have all the files in the correct locations but it was your last sentence that nailed the bug to the wall. There indeed was a line feed after the last parenthesis in the trk file! When I removed the last blank line in the trk file the TT works fine. Thank you so much. Bravo for finding that!

Now I should have no problem getting the second one operational. Altoona, Pa on the PRR East Region-2 will now have two operational turntables.
I had lots of fun running the table around and I got the big picture of what happens with on path and off path running. Pretty straightforward with no problems. Very nice piece of work thinking about the database massaging this needed.

Best regards,
vince
Attached Image: AltoWTT.jpg

#252 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:39 AM

Hi Vince,
that's great!
This convinces me that this linefeed is added as a default by TSRE5. I have just requested Goku to remove it.

#253 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:56 AM

Csantucci, on 13 May 2018 - 12:39 AM, said:

This convinces me that this linefeed is added as a default by TSRE5. I have just requested Goku to remove it.

Extra whitespace should not matter in any MSTS/OR file. If OR is not handling it, then it is at fault, and should be corrected.

#254 User is offline   MrGrumpy 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:MSTS (OpenRails + RailDriver)

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:28 AM

Csantucci, on 07 April 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

Hi Rick, to check whether a loco is completely on the turntable or not, ORTS uses the length of the train as defined in the Size () line in the .eng file and the Diameter () line of file turntables.dat. You can try increasing the Diameter () value, but not so much that the turntable rotates even if the wheels are outside it :)

Apologies for reviving an old post, but I have a similar turntable-related problem and had hoped to find the solution in this thread. My 21m Italian turntable installed correctly and works fine; the loco drives on and off and OR reports all the expected onscreen information messages. So far so good. But while the turntable rotates OK, the loco doesn't, even though OR reports 'starting rotation with train'.

Attached Image: turntable_problem.jpg
Loco static yet turntable moves. 21m turntable, model of Tortosa, Spain

The failure happens with all locomotives, irrespective of model or length. In the screenshot, the turntable.dat diameter value is correctly 23, the .eng file size is (for this example) is 12.935m, so it is not a length issue. Running OR in explore mode, the locomotive was carefully centred and OR reported the train rear was on the turntable. The brake was applied and reverser in neutral. Ctrl+C began the rotation. Naturally when the turntable bridge moves but the loco doesn't, OR gets upset and applies the emergency brakes, just to humiliate me further!

My OR version is 1.3.1.4328. I've attached the OR log, in case it might help diagnose the issue, although there is nothing obvious in it to a relative beginner like me - perhaps it is an issue in OR rather than the turntable itself, but this did seem to be where the experts discussed similar turntable questions in the past.

What have I missed, please, anyone?

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (14.65K)
Number of downloads: 492

#255 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

Where did you get the turntable?

#256 User is offline   MrGrumpy 

• Apprentice

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

Csantucci, on 11 March 2019 - 11:17 AM, said:

Where did you get the turntable?

I think in the 'VT-Tracks e IT-Tracks' pack downloaded from TrainSimHobby.net and installed as per instructions from Renzo Grassi. The file is a1tTurntable21m.s dated 08/10/2017.

A further clue (though I have no idea what it means). If I let the turntable rotate 180 degress 'beneath' the static loco, OR fails with this error.
Attached Image: tt_or_error_msg.jpg

#257 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:59 AM

That turntable has an animation that turns in the wrong direction when freerunning, that is clockwise instead of counterclockwise. See http://www.elvastowe...ation-question/

Open with a text editor file A1tTurntable21m.s and at the end of the file replace the block
				anim_node ponte (
					controllers ( 1
						tcb_rot ( 3
							tcb_key ( 0 0 -0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 )
							tcb_key ( 1800 0 1 0 -4.37114e-008 0 0 0 0 0 )
							tcb_key ( 3600 0 -8.74228e-008 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 )
						)
					)
				)

with this one
				anim_node ponte (
					controllers ( 1
						tcb_rot ( 5
							tcb_key ( 0 0 -0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 )
							tcb_key ( 900 0 0.7071068 0 0.7071067 0 0 0 0 0 )
							tcb_key ( 1800 0 1 0 -4.37114e-008 0 0 0 0 0 )
							tcb_key ( 2700 0 -0.7071068 0 0.7071067 0 0 0 0 0 )
							tcb_key ( 3600 0 -8.74228e-008 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 )
						)
					)
				)

#258 User is offline   mikeanddi 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:26 AM

Pls. note that the base .trk file (the one in the route's folder) must not have an empty line after the last parenthesis, else the include mechanism does not work (found out this today...)

Hi Carlo

Many thanks for the above information.

This solved my problem installing the automatic switch and curve sounds in the Thames Trent Version 3 (UKTS download) route.

Mike

#259 User is offline   MrGrumpy 

• Apprentice

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

Csantucci, on 12 March 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

That turntable has an animation that turns in the wrong direction when freerunning, that is clockwise instead of counterclockwise. See http://www.elvastowe...ation-question/

Open with a text editor file A1tTurntable21m.s and at the end of the file replace the block... {snip}

:Neeeedsleeep: Many thanks, Carlo, and Mike too for the reminder. I made the modification and spent a couple of hours, checking for mistakes in my files and the result is (53 seconds):

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ez8DVS2Pwco

Very pleased now!

#260 User is offline   Sandy River Tom 

• Senior Foreman of Engines
  • Group: Status: Senior Foreman, Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS-V1.5.1

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

On the Route I am finishing, I have a working Turntable serving a 3-Stall Enginehouse.
Initially, the Turntable is aligned to the Turntable Lead Track AND to the Center-Stall of the Enginehouse.
I can turn a Loco on the Table, or place the Loco on the Turntable, rotate it, and put the Loco in any one of the (3) Stalls.

If I start an Activity with the Player's Loco in the Center Stall, I can cross the Turntable and run down the Lead and proceed with the Switch List.
However, if I start an Activity with the Player's Loco in the LEFT or RIGHT Enginehouse Stall, how do I rotate
the Turntable (without a Loco onboard) to align it to the LEFT or RIGHT Enginehouse Stall????

I need to:
1) Rotate the empty Turntable to the Player's Loco Stall.
2) Put the Loco on the Turntable.
3) Rotate the Turntable to the Lead Track
4) Move off the Turntable and continue with the Activity.

How do I do Step #1 above??????

Thanx!

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users