Elvas Tower: Operational turntable - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 38 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Operational turntable Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#11 User is offline   ConCat 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:34 AM

Austin Yoders Horseshoe curve also has the A1t27mTurntable.s

#12 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Eric and Cliff,
that's better than I imagined.

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

Here are the instructions and the files to test the turntable alpha version, both for route Catania-Messina (SICILIA_1) and for other routes using a1t27mturntable.s.
Route Catania-Messina can be downloaded from here: http://www.trainsimh...oad.php?did=544
A .ws file within the World subdirectory must be replaced with the following one (this has nothing to do with turntables, it's a file that contains incoherent data that can cause a crash)
Attached File  w-005631+014158.zip (785bytes)
Number of downloads: 1030
Here two test paths, one for each turntable in the route, are provided: they can be used either in explore mode or within activities:
Attached File  Turntable_PATHS.zip (2.66K)
Number of downloads: 1061
A subfolder OpenRails must be created within the route's folder and therein following file, containing the turntable data, must be inserted
Attached File  turntables.zip (348bytes)
Number of downloads: 1134
Within such subfolder also this small integration .trk file must be inserted, that indicates the name of the .sms sound file to be associated to the turntable
Attached File  Sicilia 1.zip (232bytes)
Number of downloads: 1061
File a1t27mturntable.s within Global\Shapes must be uncompressed with Route Riter or Shapefilemanager and the animation data included in the file attached here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__202540 must be added to such uncompressed file (just above the last parenthesis).
Within the base Sound folder (not the one of the route) the following .sms file has to be added to provide sound. It uses the two default MSTS .wav files for the sound. They have a bit a low volume. It is open to everyone to improve such files. Discrete trigger 1 is triggered when the turntable starts turning empty, discrete trigger 2 is triggered when the turntable starts turning with train on board, and discrete trigger 3 is triggered when rotation stops.
Attached File  turntablesSOUND.zip (532bytes)
Number of downloads: 1139

5 OpenRails .exe and .dll files must be replaced with the attached ones within release x.3543
File deleted because feature is now available in x.3544

To extend to other routes the operation of such turntable only one integration .trk file and a specific turntables.dat must be created and inserted in an Openrails subfolder. The only data that must be modified for the first file is the reference to the base .trk file, and for the second file parameters Wfile and UID. One block for each turntable must be inserted in the file, and the number on top of the file indicates the total number of blocks (turntables).

Operation hints. After having stopped correctly the loco and having put reverser to neutral and entered manual mode (in explorer mode this last step is not needed) you can rotate the turntable clockwise with keys Alt+C, and counterclockwise with keys Ctrl+C. You must keep the keys pressed to continue rotation. When the first of the two rails of the rotating bridge is between the two rails where you want to stop, release the keys. Rotation will continue up to perfect alignment. If necessary exit from manual mode (if you are again on a path in activity mode) and move the loco out of the turntable.

It would be nice if a collection of ORTSturntables.dat files for routes containing this turntable were generated and made available to everyone by people that succeeded in making these turntables operational. Beware: this alpha release has not save/restore working.

16/5/16: command keys changed from CTRL+T and ALT+T to CTRL+C and ALT+C. .dat file renamed from ORTSturntables.dat to turntables.dat
New release of OR_Turntables1.zip. Save and restore implemented

19/5/16: a new release is now present here (see new file OR_Turntables2.zip). Also two sound-related files are present here. This new release includes sound, should solve a bug that affected midneguy and Vicente, and does not align turntable at position where external track is not present
19/5/16 14:11 GMT : new release OR_Turntables3.zip correcting a further bug on directions
19/5/16 15:46 GMT : new release OR_Turntables4.zip
19/5/16 20:53 GMT : new release OR_Turntables5.zip
20/5/16 : new release OR_Turntables6.zip
22/5/16 : new release OR_Turntables7.zip
23/5/16: first release committed in x.3544

#14 User is offline   NF1-800 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and ORTS

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

This is astonishing...all my respect and thank you very much for making this possible. Hats off... :sign_thanks:

#15 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:42 PM

Holly smokes batman! My long dreamed of addition for ORTS has become a reality at last. I can't help but to wonder if this was spurred on by my discussion a while ago on the subject at TS.com?

I am so glad to see my quest for a working turnable show up as a rough working beta thanks to a very ingenious individual with the knowledge and know how to do it better than Railworks/Train Simulator 20xx. Hopefully the default MSTS turntable sounds can be linked to work correctly with this new found wonder we are seeing for ORTS at some future point.

I had struggled with the very idea on how to connect and disconnect the table from the paths and not screw the trackdb all up in the process. The rotation of the locomotive once on the table was also a huge stumbling block since I have no formal training as software engineer.

I wonder if the table has bounding box properties?

Other concerns will be offering a version for electric and non electric locos so a table with overhead cable that rotates with the table can be rendered correctly. I envision something like two supports at each end of the table and more of steel pipe or bar as the cable for the table.

Hopefully this will lead to a working transfer table for big engine works yards Transfer Table? Or rotary car dumper for coal or gravel hoppers at some point in the future. Rotary Dumper Useful for large industrial sites like steel mills and power plants. This rotary dumper is in Trainz even know the video says TS2010. Dumper

Then ORTS will be the best train simulator around!

I'd donate to a fund to buy beer for this contribution to ORTS. Well done!

Robert

#16 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 15 May 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

Holly smokes batman! My long dreamed of addition for ORTS has become a reality at last. I can't help but to wonder if this was spurred on by my discussion a while ago on the subject at TS.com? ....................snip....................................

I'd donate to a fund to buy beer for this contribution to ORTS. Well done!
Robert

You kidding? The idea for a working turntable has been in much :discuss_gathering: discussion since May 2001 loooong before your thread at TS.com but that aside it's always been 'tdb' and associated files can't be messed with until talented folks do get to understand. Huge progress!
regards,
vince

#17 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:47 PM

Vince, I know, I remember those days well. To those who remember my discussion on the tables will remember that a similar approach to the method now used to interact with the tdb was loosely discussed.

This will certainly make reproducing 1970's and early 1980's steam excursion runs possible on midwest and northeastern routes.

Robert

#18 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:53 PM

Blueprint filed https://blueprints.l...ating-turntable .

#19 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:01 AM

I can only see one problem Carlo, the choice of keys. Currently Ctrl+T is also multiplayer texting and Alt+T is also immediate refuel if not near a refuelling point. Are these two functions disabled while using the turntable?.

#20 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:04 AM

Thanks Mervyn. I looked a bit too fast at the key assignments. Take note however that looking at the code the key assignment for immediate refill is Shift+T and not Alt+T.
One alternative is using Ctrl+Z and Alt+Z. Another alternative is to move Multiplayer texting to another key assignment and leave the two assignments I have selected.

• 38 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users