• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scenery object "flashes" Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

That's how I see it Gerry, I guess it isn't just me! Trees of Eastern Canada 1 and 2.

Paul :-)

#42 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:10 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 08 April 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

Folks, I see it too, and it's not flickering....only a refreshing breeze blowing through the trees and grasses...your point of view is askew.

LOL! I suppose. One person's refreshing breeze is another's distracting nightmare.

#43 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:35 AM

View Postjamesc25313, on 07 April 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

Ok, so I made a video demonstrating what I mean at least with regards to flickering. I'd be interested to know if anyone has experienced this type of flickering with their setups. I for one have experienced what you'll see in the video for two years or so, using several different cards and setups and two different monitors. I used three routes in the video including a modified Pocahontas District used for testing only. A very slightly modified Horseshoe curve used to test one tree texture as a forest object. I also include the Horseshoe route by default with no modifications and Seligman 2.0 with no modifications. All experienced flickering which seems to be more pronounced with forest objects rather than scratch built clumps, or tree lines.

If you want to watch full screen click the YouTube icon on the video.

Thanks very much for the video, this clearly shows (to me, anyway) something different to the known instancing problem. This is more like a shimmering effect, which seems to be where the blended (not completely solid nor completely transparent) parts of the trees are constantly changing how they're rendered. It may be worth noting here that we split blended primitives in to two parts, one for any solid areas and one for any blended areas.

I'm not sure I've seen this before, but I can probably explain what's going on/wrong. Solid primitives are rendered using a depth buffer which means rendering order is unimportant (this is a good optimisation, all games use it), but for blended/translucent primitives they must be rendered in depth order (as the depth buffer cannot help). We (OR) do sort blended primitives before rendering them, but - possibly due to the density/closeness of the trees - in this case we're not doing a very good job and each frame subsequently renders them in a different order. Because by their very nature they blend with what's behind, alternating the order will cause a flickering effect.

#44 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:07 AM

James beat me to the punch. The tree "shimmering" is a much different issue than the flashing I described in my posts. Though the shimmering is a distraction, it does, as others have noted, almost look like leaves moving in the breeze. Seeing a distorted building shape 4x its normal size flash in front of the train is a much different "effect", and the latter is what I was attempting to describe. Turning off model instancing gets rid of the "flashing building monster syndrome", as far as I can tell.

I will state once again what I love about OR--the people developing and enhancing the program actually listen to their users. Thank you, OR Development Team!!!!

#45 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

View Postjovet, on 08 April 2016 - 10:10 PM, said:

LOL! I suppose. One person's refreshing breeze is another's distracting nightmare.

Waaaaay :offtopic: ---- IMHO, that's why humans are always feudin', fussin', and fightin' each other all the time!!

[ also, :sign_thanks: James, for the explanation, and railguy for the description of the flashing phenom)

#46 User is offline   Woodfyr 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:53 AM

View Postcharland, on 08 April 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

That's how I see it Gerry, I guess it isn't just me! Trees of Eastern Canada 1 and 2.

And I thought you were truing to show low and high tides on the Bay. The flashing water ocurred in an earlier version of OR, but not now. Sill getting what I call a "shimmering" of the foliage. As though the wind was blowing at 40 (like it usually does on the bay).

BTW. Love the route and have spent much time in that part of NS. Only real change in the area (aside from the DAR closing) is the gypsum mine is closed, there is virtually no trackage left in Kentville and there over 15 new vineyards and wineries in the valley.

#47 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:35 AM

I thought I had the tide figured out in MSTS but it didn't work out, not sure how or if it would work in OR but I wouldn't take the time to find out until they have their own route editor. As for the trees, it was always windy when I lived in the Valley, so fluttering leaves are alright with me!

#48 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:22 PM

Since we've devolved into talking about wind, when I lived in Wyoming, this was the running joke, although it wasn't that far from the truth on some days--like the day the wind tipped over about a dozen autoracks sitting still in the Cheyenne yard. Just a "brisk breeze." The adage was that you would seek cover if the wind started blowing the links off the end of the log chain.
http://i.imgur.com/XVfsclN.jpg

#49 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:27 PM

LOL :rotfl:

#50 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:08 AM

Hi All,
I have attached two captures showing the "flashing water" that I observe in the TIR route (and also the DAR). I moved my view position very slightly between the two captures.
I had unchecked the Instancing option.
Attached Image: Open Rails 2016-04-10 12-31-27.jpg
Attached Image: Open Rails 2016-04-10 12-31-37.jpg
Cheers,

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users