Elvas Tower: Diesel ENG file for OR - Elvas Tower

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diesel ENG file for OR A sample of a complete diesel engine file Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:22 AM

For programs like ConBuilder to have testing tools to insure that files referenced by parameters are present where they are expected to be requires searching for parameter names. If the program has to search for both "Include" and "include" it obviously takes longer than just searching for "Include". Yes it only takes x nanoseconds, but doing it twice takes 2 x nanoseconds. As mentioned before if one looks at current ENG file ALL the parameters begin with a capital letter.

#22 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

Since this appears like a serious issue with the newer Conbuilder I will change to capital Include. Do you need it immediately instead of changing on your end with the engines you link the files with?

#23 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

No. I just wanted to bring it to your attention so that you would follow the established convention. Like that shape file with the extra "/" that got copied umpteen jillion times. Would have been so much better if the creator had corrected his mistake in the beginning.

Also the question about 1 or 2 slashes. See this post by James Ross http://www.elvastowe...post__p__182993

#24 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

View Postcr-stagg, on 29 April 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

Also the question about 1 or 2 slashes. See this post by James Ross http://www.elvastowe...post__p__182993

• The backslash ( \ ) is the correct path separation character for Microsoft Windows. This is a holdover from MS-DOS.
  • In "C" programming languages (e.g. C, C++, C#), the backslash is a special character in text string data. The backslash signals the start of an escape, which in these computer terms means a special embedded code to represent non-printable or non-textual data. The curious can read more about this here. What this means, though, is that a single backslash in a text string is invalid and makes no sense, sort of like dividing by zero. To actually have a backslash, its escape sequence must be used, which is two: \\
  • Escaped or continued (across multiple physical lines—this is common in .trk files) MSTS strings should always be double-quoted.
  • Adding to point #1, the forward slash ( / ) may be sometimes accepted as a substitute for a backslash in Windows paths, but this is not official nor universal, and should not be relied upon. The forward slash is the standard path separation character for Unix operating systems, which is why you see them in URLs like http://google.com. So, do not confuse the two contexts.
  • Forward slashes often seem to work in MSTS configuration files, and they also do not technically need enclosed in double-quotes, but it is still the wrong way to go about it.

#25 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:53 AM

View Postcr-stagg, on 29 April 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

I have another question. Why are these lines written this way:
ORTS (
ORTSEmergencyCausesThrottleDown( 1 )
)
ORTS (
ORTSEmergencyEngagesHorn( 0 )
)
ORTS (
ORTSWheelSlipCausesThrottleDown( 1 )
)
ORTS (
ORTSEmergencyCausesPowerDown( 1 )
)

If OR reads these like that, then it's probably a bug. Anyway i don't know what's the point of that ORTS () section. The parameter name itself tells that it's for ORTS, and the most of the other ORTS specific params don't need to be in ORTS ().

#26 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:32 AM

View PostATW, on 29 April 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

The way they are included is how ORTS positively reads them where the other organized way ORTS does not read. This is a good topic to look into.

View Postdisc, on 30 April 2016 - 01:53 AM, said:

If OR reads these like that, then it's probably a bug. Anyway i don't know what's the point of that ORTS () section. The parameter name itself tells that it's for ORTS, and the most of the other ORTS specific params don't need to be in ORTS ().

I can see no evidence in the code that these items need to be in their own "ORTS" blocks; they will work identically inside a single "ORTS" block. (And yes, the block is probably unnecessary but I am not sure we can change them now as they've existed for some time.)

#27 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

I asked a question in post #17 that no one has addressed. So I will rephrase the question: Where is the ORTS equivalent of the MSTS document "Eng_and_wag_file_reference_guide"?

Lines like ORTSEmergencyCausesThrottleDown( 1 ) are understandable, values are either 1 or 0, but ORTSEngineBrakeReleaseRate ( 38 ) is not. 38 what? pounds per minute, or tons per second or liters per hour?

#28 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

It's the BC release an application rates as if you open an close the independent brake by mouse or raildriver.

#29 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:18 AM

View PostATW, on 30 April 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

It's the BC release an application rates as if you open an close the independent brake by mouse or raildriver.

That is NOT my question. I can tell that by the name. What does 38 mean? 38 WHAT? pounds per minute, or tons per second or liters per hour?

BUT my real question is where is the document that defines this example and ALL the other ORTS parameters for ENG and WAG files?

#30 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:22 AM

Think I should start putting comment tips of what some parameters are in my next release.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users