Elvas Tower: Diesel ENG file for OR - Elvas Tower

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diesel ENG file for OR A sample of a complete diesel engine file Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:38 AM

View PostATW, on 30 April 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

Think I should start putting comment tips of what some parameters are in my next release.

Are you writing ORTS code that uses these Parameters and creating ENG files or just creating ENG files?

Comments would not be necessary if there was an ORTS Eng_and_wag_file_reference_guide document.

#32 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

As OR physics is an evolving thing, a reference manual is probably not practical right now. Comments where appropriate should be sufficient until things are finalised.

The code that uses these parameters has already been written, but not a lot of guidance supplied in applying parameters to use the code.

#33 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 30 April 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

As OR physics is an evolving thing, a reference manual is probably not practical right now. Comments where appropriate should be sufficient until things are finalised.

The code that uses these parameters has already been written, but not a lot of guidance supplied in applying parameters to use the code.

Understand that it is evolving, but how about an evolving reference, like a web page that is a table of Parameters, unit of measurement, max & min value. As it is now we see all these usages of ORTS parameters that ATW is posting that have NO unit of measurement shown:
ORTSEngineBrakeReleaseRate ( 38 )
ORTSEngineBrakeApplicationRate ( 34 )
ORTSAirBrakesMainresvolume ( 0.43 )
ORTSMainResChargingRate ( 3.1 )
ORTSBrakePipeChargingRate ( 199.0 )

#34 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

Far as I am aware those particular parameters are not used, at least I can find no reference to them in the code. A table of used parameters with units/max/min would indeed be a useful document, and if web based would probably be best located at the OR web site.

#35 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

I am not a code writer but a user an tester of those parameters which I saw in a manual that didn't even give enough info but decided to test them an saw changes. No one was interested some posts back so I just experimented on my own.

My comments will be a reference but unit's of measure wasn't included in the Manuel. I have been in cabs an cab rides on unit's an using some of these parameters show just the things I have seen on the screen in variety of ways such as brake performance. Think of the parameters as optional with variety as not all unit's of the same prototype always perform the same like smoke an color for example.

So my thing if no one understands them an I don't give my experience reference an view then it won't be as simple for one on their end like me an my fish an experiment.

The engine release an application with 38 an 34 is same as the MSTS parameter that worked in ORTS when I used a raildriver.

My last wish to calculate an experiment these not enough info but research is have a Air Brake Flow meter in HUD at least.

With the files included an testing in a duplicated consists but different engines I would like one to tell me the difference they see in BP performance applying/release.... SD70MAC vs C44-9W.... or is that a big deal finding an messing around to experiment an find out before I give my reference again like I did in some posts before? Just delete out on your end if you don't like as one asked for all the known parameters to be put as a template.

#36 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 30 April 2016 - 02:32 AM, said:

I can see no evidence in the code that these items need to be in their own "ORTS" blocks;

From MSTSLocomotive.cs
case "engine(orts(ortssanderspeedeffectupto": SanderSpeedEffectUpToMpS = stf.ReadFloatBlock(STFReader.UNITS.Speed, null); break;
                case "engine(orts(ortsemergencycausespowerdown": EmergencyCausesPowerDown = stf.ReadBoolBlock(false); break;
                case "engine(orts(ortsemergencycausesthrottledown": EmergencyCausesThrottleDown = stf.ReadBoolBlock(false); break;
                case "engine(orts(ortsemergencyengageshorn": EmergencyEngagesHorn = stf.ReadBoolBlock(false); break;
                case "engine(orts(ortswheelslipcausesthrottledown": WheelslipCausesThrottleDown = stf.ReadBoolBlock(false); break;

View Postcr-stagg, on 30 April 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

same as MSTS default, which is psi for pressure, so these are psi/sec, but as i see BARps can be used too.
ORTSAirBrakesMainresvolume is not exists in OR, but if it would exists then the default is ft3, but m3 unit can be used too.

#37 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:31 AM

View Postdisc, on 30 April 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

From MSTSLocomotive.cs
case "engine(orts(ortssanderspeedeffectupto": SanderSpeedEffectUpToMpS = stf.ReadFloatBlock(STFReader.UNITS.Speed, null); break;
                case "engine(orts(ortsemergencycausespowerdown": EmergencyCausesPowerDown = stf.ReadBoolBlock(false); break;
                case "engine(orts(ortsemergencycausesthrottledown": EmergencyCausesThrottleDown = stf.ReadBoolBlock(false); break;
                case "engine(orts(ortsemergencyengageshorn": EmergencyEngagesHorn = stf.ReadBoolBlock(false); break;
                case "engine(orts(ortswheelslipcausesthrottledown": WheelslipCausesThrottleDown = stf.ReadBoolBlock(false); break;

That's not what I meant; look above these lines and you'll see a whole bunch of "ORTS*" items with no "ORTS" block around them. I don't know why these ones have that extra block - but like I said, maybe we can't change that now without breaking content.

#38 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:34 AM

View Postcr-stagg, on 30 April 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

I asked a question in post #17 that no one has addressed. So I will rephrase the question: Where is the ORTS equivalent of the MSTS document "Eng_and_wag_file_reference_guide"?

Lines like ORTSEmergencyCausesThrottleDown( 1 ) are understandable, values are either 1 or 0, but ORTSEngineBrakeReleaseRate ( 38 ) is not. 38 what? pounds per minute, or tons per second or liters per hour?

The manual is the current correct place for documentation on these parameters and it will almost always lag behind the actually-available items - expecting anything else is foolish - but now that we've converted the manual to ReStructuredText it may be reasonable for developers to put something in there sooner when new parameters are added.

#39 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:58 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 02 May 2016 - 02:31 AM, said:

That's not what I meant; look above these lines and you'll see a whole bunch of "ORTS*" items with no "ORTS" block around them. I don't know why these ones have that extra block - but like I said, maybe we can't change that now without breaking content.

Exactly what i tried to write first. I don't know either why is that orts() block is needed, because other parameters don't use that block.
Maybe we can change it like this by adding other cases:

case "engine(ortsemergencycausespowerdown":
case "engine(ortsemergencycausesthrottledown":
case "engine(ortsemergencyengageshorn":

Then write in manual, that orts() block is deprecated, use these params without it, then later remove the unnecessary code.

#40 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:18 PM

View Postcr-stagg, on 30 April 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

Understand that it is evolving, but how about an evolving reference, like a web page that is a table of Parameters, unit of measurement, max & min value. As it is now we see all these usages of ORTS parameters that ATW is posting that have NO unit of measurement shown:
ORTSEngineBrakeReleaseRate ( 38 )

Do you mean something like this?

It can be accessed via this page.

Thanks

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic