• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

V. 1.1 won't download? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:40 AM

I had this problem with 1.0 too, though it eventually worked. I then stepped sideways to the X releases for which download works OK. When I try to download 1.1, it runs for a (long; I have slow DSL) while, then dies with an "incorrect length" message. Using Firefox with DownThemAll, which normally is quite reliable. ??? Not sure if this is a OR issue or a web site issue or just the perversity of the Internet. :furiousPC:

#2 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

It downloaded just fine for me , as does everything else from OR or other sites train oriented . . Seems your problems stem from your internet not OR or Elvas .

#3 User is offline   Dogbert 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR MonoGame

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

1.1 downloaded in under 15 seconds here.

I have never personally had any problems. With any file downloads on the OR official site.

#4 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:09 PM

Start Firefox in "Safe Mode" (no Add-Ons or Extensions) and see if the download has problems that way.
What version of Firefox are you using?

#5 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

Latest FF release (45.0.1 I think). I used DownThemAll which normally works well as a download manager (though not on trainsim unless I tweak it). Trying it again as a direct FF download. Yay! This time it worked (took about 1:45 - supposed to be 6MB UVerse but I hardly ever see that...). Sorry for the complaint. Though perhaps the OR web site (like trainsim.com for non-first-class users) is unhappy with an attempt to open multiple download streams - could be what killed the DownThemAll process. All fixed now.

#6 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:41 AM

Mike B, on 26 March 2016 - 06:40 AM, said:

I had this problem with 1.0 too, though it eventually worked. I then stepped sideways to the X releases for which download works OK. When I try to download 1.1, it runs for a (long; I have slow DSL) while, then dies with an "incorrect length" message. Using Firefox with DownThemAll, which normally is quite reliable. ??? Not sure if this is a OR issue or a web site issue or just the perversity of the Internet. :furiousPC:

Which URL was DownThemAll attempting to download, out of interest? If it's "/download/program/download.php" it's not going to be able to accelerate anything because that script doesn't support (and doesn't advertise support for) partial downloads, which is what I believe things like DownThemAll (ab)use to get things over multiple concurrent connections. There is a alternative direct link on the confirmation page to "/files/..." which should work fine though.

AFAICT this is an issue with DownThemAll; the website is following the relevant specs and guidelines for transferring files.

#7 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:35 AM

glad that got cleared up. i have never used multiple downloaders just find i dont like something else running things for me but i guess it can be helpful in some cases. I have never had any problems at all with Open Rails downloads and the site which seems excellent in design and function. just like the entire OR effort :0 top notch.

i am glad your download worked ok.

#8 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:25 AM

I normally use DownThemAll (DTA) because it runs in the background and I can close the main FF windows while downloads keep running. It also works well with Auto Shutdown NG for very long downloads - can let things go overnight and have the computer automatically shut down when finished. These are all FF extensions so there's no extra installation/ads/etc. hassle. Another thing: since I have slow VDSL (UVerse) service, DTA's use of multiple parts tends to keep the pipe full; the regular (single-thread) download in FF has huge variations in speed as the download goes on. Finally, DTA makes it easy to restart downloads that stopped for some reason, though with most web sites that starts from where it left off while with OR (the download button) it restarts from scratch.

Anyway ... I don't have to d/l ORTS often, so I forget it's quirks :oldstry: . The workaround is simple enough once I remember it or am reminded. Sorry for the fireworks, and thanks for the reminder :good: .

-M

#9 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:57 AM

Mike B, on 27 March 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

I normally use DownThemAll (DTA) because it runs in the background and I can close the main FF windows while downloads keep running.

Just FYI, that is something Firefox should be able to do on its own.

The Open Rails installer is about 25 megabytes. How long did it take you to download that when you did get it to work, out of curiosity?

#10 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:51 AM

jovet, on 28 March 2016 - 05:57 AM, said:

Just FYI, that is something Firefox should be able to do on its own.

The Open Rails installer is about 25 megabytes. How long did it take you to download that when you did get it to work, out of curiosity?

Yes, FF download runs in background too, but only if the main window is open. Quitting the FF main window stops the download, and restarting it means starting from scratch. There are times I use it rather than DTA, though, such as at trainsim; they're speed- and connection-limited if running as a free member, so it's often more effective to use the 2 allowed connections to download 2 files rather than the minor speedup possible by using DTA with 2 connections.

Time: I got lucky - apparently not a lot of other traffic at the time I tried again. So it only took about 4 minutes out of the estimated (by FF) 1.75. Previous downloads have sometimes taken 10 minutes or more. So DTA wasn't needed, really.

Yes, there are times when I don't get much better than dialup speed from UVerse. Speedtests even to AT&T servers frequently show download speeds of less than 1.5 megabits/sec, even though I pay for a theoretical 6. The theoretical speed only seems to happen (sometimes, even, as much as 7.5) on Sunday mornings. But the terms of service basically make no guarantee of any kind regarding quality or even availability; read them some time if you want to get angry (AT&T isn't the only one like that).

-M

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users