• You cannot reply to this topic

DieselEngineSpeedOfMaxTractiveEffort Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

Correct

It slowly decreases the more you are stressing the motors at max power at a given time factor. So say your at the max force with 5 min (300 Seconds) an keep at the max force an power for that amount of time... your max force decreases to the given MaxContinuousForce which also decreases Horse Power efficiency even if you gain high speeds later without being in idle enough to cool motors to their max.

If you go beyond the slow minimum speeds an escaping max starting force ranges at high speeds the motors are not getting as stressed as if your force has already reached bellow the MaxContinuousForce for motors to say "This is easy I'm not even feeling hot out of breath".

One new ORTS discipline feature we need is a eng parameter that gives us a time limit of how long a unit can be at its MaxContinuousForce stress level to be considered overheated or damaged in trip if one does not give proper care an time of cooling by automatically turning traction off for a given amount of time. Or better yet a cooling time factor bonus feature.

Just an idea for someone to possibly implement:

op 1: "ORTSOverHeatForceTimeFactor" used for equipped units to be at its Max Continuous force throttle stages in a chosen amount of time to reach dead traction or resting stages.
op 2: "ORTSDeadForceTimePenaltyFactor" used for equipped units to be dead in traction in a chosen amount of time to cool down. Bigger longer amount of seconds could be considered damaged in game till exit an reloaded.
op 3: "ORTSCoolingForceTimeFactor" used as bonus for equipped units to be recovered cooled to max healthy force during idle or dead stages limited by current ORTSContinuousForceTimeFactor during light-medium traction force stages.

#12 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:07 PM

....So say your at the max force with 5 min (300 Seconds) an keep at the max force an power for that amount of time... your max force decreases to the given MaxContinuousForce which also decreases Horse Power efficiency even if you gain high speeds later without being in idle enough to cool motors to their max....

Pardon me, but isn't continuous force dependent upon speed...?? That is, some locomotive's produce X kN till some speed and then it starts to taper down...?? Not dependent on time the unit is in full power..??

#13 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:58 AM

no, continous force depend on power. Locomotives have a normal power, and max power. If the normal power is exceeded after time the power will fall back to normal due the overheating.

#14 User is offline   Andy 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:53 AM

The torque in a traction motor is at its highest at or below the speed of DieselEngineSpeedOfMaxTractiveEffort (MSTS: 11 MPH on most dash 2 locos). The amount of time allowed to run below that speed at full power decreases as the loco slows as more torque (and heat)is generated. If you continue to run below that speed, you can damage the traction motors. The power is not reduced by the loco automatically. Once above that speed, the loco cooling fans keep the traction motors cool enough to run continuously. On computerized locos if the traction motors get too hot the computer will derate the power to the traction motors to keep them from overheating. Which can stall a heavy train and you have to wait till the motors cool down before restarting the train. Modern GE locos above 13.7 MPH can run continuously at full power.

#15 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:23 AM

I set my custom ORTS curves to have both max starting an continuous forces meeting apart smoothly at a given speed they are built for.

Considering we are talking traction motors I have seen both good an bad effects for DC motors vs AC motors an hear an see the majority of information I give from crews at work even though not all are expects that play close attention an just work to their best to get paid. I have been across where crews get single running power to build a train where they have told management a unit needs to be towed in a light power move instead of the short manifest train they were to build due to traction motor damage where unit was loading but not given traction until very little force peaked out at Run 6 on a SD70M (DC Motor) brakes released running light.

AC motors don't overheat an are built for low speeds but majority of DC motors are not an is the reason I gave the idea in post #11 above primarily for DC motors. In a DC motor you see a load meter with red range an the time limited 5-15min on majority units... but how long can they be in the continuous stages under minimum speed before cooking completely out till cool or repaired being "Traction Power Automatically Off".

#16 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

Bump

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users