• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old triphase locos and routes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

My country has a past story of triphase electrification.
You can see a typical picture here, with a loco with its huge pantographs and the horizontally double-wire catenary.
http://www.leferrovi...ocomotive:e.431
Trainsim content developers have developed triphase content, both locos and routes.
The peculiar traction characteristics of synchronous triphase motors (no electronics available...) was that the locos (except few moments) could run only at very precise target speeds: in the case of the link above the technical data reports e.g. 37,5 - 50 - 75 - 100 km/h. This has been recognized as similar to a geared locomotive. Therefore triphase locomotives have been developed for MSTS as geared diesel locomotives. The pantographs are animated, but in MSTS they are not movable: however MSTS automatically raises the panto at game start.
In OR the pantos are not movable and stay down, because pantograph commands are reserved to electric locos.
With a simple patch (extending the P and shift-P commands to all types of locomotives) this is modifiable, and pantos may even be risen and lowered (better than MSTS...), as can be seen here
Attached Image: Open Rails 2016-02-13 05-28-25.jpg
So I would like to make this available to my country's trainsimmers, and ask the management team if this feature can become part of OR. I think that having a P and Shift/P command available also for diesels may be of more general use (for other animations).

The second issue is about the horizontally double overhead wire. This had been made available for OR by Strawberryfield, but was reverted because the feature wasn't authorized. Is it possible to authorize the feature, and to re-implement it?

The two things together - working pantos and horizontally double overhead wire would be a nice gift for the triphase simmers in my country, and provide a further push towards OR. :)

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:39 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 13 February 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

In OR the pantos are not movable and stay down, because pantograph commands are reserved to electric locos.
With a simple patch (extending the P and shift-P commands to all types of locomotives) this is modifiable, and pantos may even be risen and lowered (better than MSTS...), as can be seen here
Attachment Open Rails 2016-02-13 05-28-25.jpg
So I would like to make this available to my country's trainsimmers, and ask the management team if this feature can become part of OR. I think that having a P and Shift/P command available also for diesels may be of more general use (for other animations).

Hmm, the pantographs are quite strongly connected to the electric engine code aren't they? Could I see the patch?

View PostCsantucci, on 13 February 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

The second issue is about the horizontally double overhead wire. This had been made available for OR by Strawberryfield, but was reverted because the feature wasn't authorized. Is it possible to authorize the feature, and to re-implement it?

What do existing MSTS routes do for this?

#3 User is offline   Oleg 

• ORTS content creator
  • Group: Status: New Hire
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:18 AM

What unusual electric current collector in this, I was the first time I see this.

#4 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:29 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 14 February 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

Hmm, the pantographs are quite strongly connected to the electric engine code aren't they? Could I see the patch?

MSTS routes only have a single wire OHLE for all styles of electrics including 3rd rail. At least we do have third rail track shapes to use and can hide the wire.

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

James, thanks for attention.

View PostJames Ross, on 14 February 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

Not so much indeed, because pantographs are defined in OR as parts of MSTSWagon and not of MSTSElectricLocomotive.
Only the pantograph command is linked to an electric loco.
Here the simple patch
Attached File  Pantotriphase.zip (622bytes)
Number of downloads: 255

James Ross said:

The only viable solution up to now was to hand-build the catenary, see picture here
Attached Image: Open Rails 2016-02-14 04-31-43.jpg
Instead, having this provided as a route option by the package, it would be much faster to develop routes.

#6 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:02 AM

Carlo,

Does this mean the pantographs on these particular locomotives are just eye candy(so to speak) or are they suppose to be able to supply power as well when needed?

Edward K.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:39 AM

You're right, they are only eyecandy :)
There is a certain number of them downloadable from here http://www.ildeposito.net/ .

#8 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:54 AM

I was just wondering, does OR have the ability to work with 3rd rail routes?

Edward K.

#9 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

Works fine with Dorset6, London & Southeast etc

#10 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 14 February 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

Not so much indeed, because pantographs are defined in OR as parts of MSTSWagon and not of MSTSElectricLocomotive.
Only the pantograph command is linked to an electric loco.
Here the simple patch
Attachment Pantotriphase.zip

A small patch indeed. I think that's okay to go, but if it does cause any weirdness with non-electrics we'll need to address them.

View PostCsantucci, on 14 February 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

The only viable solution up to now was to hand-build the catenary, see picture here
Attachment Open Rails 2016-02-14 04-31-43.jpg
Instead, having this provided as a route option by the package, it would be much faster to develop routes.

Okay, I guess it's okay to add the tri-phase TRK option. I'm not so sure about the double-wire option (which already exists as an experimental option).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users