Elvas Tower: Steam Locomotive Steam Effects - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steam Locomotive Steam Effects Addition of DrainpipeFX Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails/MSTS

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:42 PM

Yes, it works! And a wonderful improvement for Steam Locomotive Lovers everywhere.
Thank you Peter for this and all that you have done on the OUTSTANDING Steam Physics.

Paul

#12 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

Unfortunately I still no matter how I install it, am able to get it to work. Add the fact I run a 64 bit OS and would not be able to utilize the LAA system, is a bit of a breaker for me too.

#13 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:21 PM

Kazareh, on 18 February 2016 - 09:54 PM, said:

Unfortunately I still no matter how I install it, am able to get it to work.

To try and assist, can you describe how you set up the test environment to trial this patch? (You can PM me if you wish, and I will attempt to help you)

It should also be noted that once the patch is committed to the main OR code, that there shouldn't be any of these types of issues, as all the relevant files are included in the OR update.

The patch in this thread is really an "alpha" version for testing purposes only, before it is loaded into the "mainstream" OR code.

Kazareh, on 18 February 2016 - 09:54 PM, said:

Add the fact I run a 64 bit OS and would not be able to utilize the LAA system, is a bit of a breaker for me too.

I am also running a 64 bit software, and the patch works on my system.

The LAA exe would normally be used for 64 bit systems, but for this alpha patch it needs to be disabled, and the normal "runactivity.exe" used.

#14 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:52 PM

I am currently wondering how to control the "drainpipe" steam effect, which in this patch is permanently on.

Whilst doing research for this area, I came across this information on the steam pipe plumbing for a steam locomotive. (Refer to the three diagrams shown in the 5th post).

Does anybody have access to this book, and are they able to share any additional information, such as the descriptions associated with the diagrams?

Based upon a study of these diagrams, I suspect that the drainpipe should be linked to the injector operation, rather then leaving it on continuously.

Are there any other steam effects which might be worth investigating, and can be linked to existing steam controls?

Thanks

#15 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:46 AM

steamer_ctn, on 18 February 2016 - 10:52 PM, said:

I am currently wondering how to control the "drainpipe" steam effect, which in this patch is permanently on.

Whilst doing research for this area, I came across this information on the steam pipe plumbing for a steam locomotive. (Refer to the three diagrams shown in the 5th post).

Does anybody have access to this book, and are they able to share any additional information, such as the descriptions associated with the diagrams?

Thanks

Yes, I have this book. It has dimensional drawings of about 100 different US steam locomotives, with lots of pictures. Is there some specific information you are looking for? I can post details. The illustrations in the thread are the only ones of that kind in the book, IIRC.

chris

#16 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:33 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the offer.

longiron, on 19 February 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

Yes, I have this book. It has dimensional drawings of about 100 different US steam locomotives, with lots of pictures. Is there some specific information you are looking for? I can post details. The illustrations in the thread are the only ones of that kind in the book, IIRC.

I am trying to link the drainpipes shown in the diagrams, with their purpose (what activates them, how they operate, etc). As they are drainpipes, and not exhausts, I assume the steam volume coming out of them is small.

So any descriptions of the diagrams would be helpful.

Thanks

#17 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

Steamer_ctn, I believe what you are thinking of as the "drain pipe" is the "injector overflow pipe," which water and steam pass out of as the injector builds up enough steam pressure to force water into the boiler.

There are plenty of other exhaust outlets and vents described in the schematics in the first 25 pages of the Model Railroader Steam Locomotive Cyclopedia--air pumps/compressors, feedwater pumps, mechanical stoker engines, booster engines, too many to list (I even have a CD of ICS' Steam Textbooks if you're interested).

But here's a simple one--many steam engines have electric lighting, and that electricity is supplied by a generator driven by a steam turbine--commonly called a "turbo-generator" or "dynamo." This could also be a possible addition to the special steam FX, although I am assuming it will be "always on" by default.

#18 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:00 AM

Most UK steam locomotives never had a turbo-generator so I would like to see that off unless activated in the eng file in some way.

#19 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:27 AM

well most if not all steam locomotives in the US have Dynos and they can not run unless they have one because its supplies electricity to the locomotive that is used for lights and other electrical equipment aboard the locomotive. It is the same with Air compressors that we all know control a lot of components of a steam locomotive. It kind of looks odd without having them on in the US to be quite honest and one thing that has always bugged me about MSTS that I know can be implemented into Open Rails because its doable in other Railroad simulators. Also at the moment if you even had a dyno the only way you could do it is through the Eng file and steam effects area so it would not work unless we implamented it onto a specific steam locomotive.

Brandon

#20 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:27 AM

well most if not all steam locomotives in the US have Dynos...

Not in the era's that I model the most: Link n' pin era's. For me and my steam modeling, having a dynamo steam trail would be as useless as t i t s on a boar hog.

Therein lies the challenges the OR programer's face: To develop for the desired end result yet retaining options for the end user so as to be adaptable/flexible to model a multitude of elements.

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users