• You cannot reply to this topic

Track Viewer in Open Rails Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

Hey everyone,

So I was messing around with Track Viewer the other day and I really like it but I was curious on if it will end up becoming an Activities Editor eventually? You can make paths in Track Viewer but it does not allow you to switch switches or add traffic yet. I was also curious if there is also a Consist Editor in the works for Open Rails? Since we have a new route editor in the works it would be great to also have a new Activities Editor and Consist editor. This way we wouldnt really need the Editors and Tools from MSTS any more.

Brandon

#2 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

Track Viewer is a work in progress and will improve over time. Many other threads about it here.

I don't see much need for a consist editor because several non-MS alternatives already exist: Route-Riter has one if you want basic and free (also: Convoi and, if still available, a free version of ConBuilder). ConBuilder itself of course is the golden key, but will cost you a couple of bucks. With all of those, the small market is pretty saturated for that category of MSTS (and by extension ORTS) utility. Only when ORTS significantly extends what can be done with a consist will extensions to the current editors make sense.

#3 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:08 AM

Another consist builder is yardmaster (a full on rolling stock database program) and yardmaster lite.

I love trackviewer.

As for an activity builder, that is NOT a work in progress and needs a volunteer who can code to take it up!

Christopher

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

View PostATSF3751, on 08 February 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

Hey everyone,

So I was messing around with Track Viewer the other day and I really like it....

Brandon

Yes, it is a fine bit of software.

IIRC the author happens to be rather busy with his real job and so while suggestions are probably still welcome we should have our expectations reduced a bit WRT any quick delivery of new features.

#5 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:22 AM

The trackviewer program is very useful for fixing broken paths, or creating modified paths. You can create a new path while displaying another path that goes near the new path. It also will create a (new) reversed path based on an existing path very simply.
A great tool!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users