File Name: SS CANTERBURY 1929
File Submitter: CrisGer
File Submitted: 03 Feb 2016
File Category: Vehicles

SS Canterbury

Built by Denny of Dunbarton

Model by Chris Gerlach (CrisGer)
February 2016

A model of the famous Channel Ferry SS Canterbury, the second ferry of that name that plyed the English Channel between France and Great Britian. I created this ship to honour the original and all of the British seamen and ship builders who made the British Empire possible and maintained order and commerce on the seas for hundreds of years. they have my deepest admiration and respect.

This model may be repainted, and converted to other formats as desired, but I would appreciate seeing a pre release copy of the new version and reserve the right to judge the project on its merits before allowing release. No commercial use may be made other than inclusion in routes and release CD packages such as are released by UK Train Sim and other reputable community sites.

Hull based on an original shared by Ron Piccard, textures by me and also some included based on some by John Fleming with his kind permission. Hull alterations were partly done in past versions by Jeff Farquar, Master Chief with his kind help. I owe much to other nautical modellers esp Capt Bazza, and also to Tim Muir, and others for advice on this and other projects.

No liabity is offered use at your own risk. This model is relatively low poly around 4500 polys so it should load in both MSTS and Open Rails. If not, you may have to place a proxy object, a simple shape of the same size in the desired location, then once it is saved in the RE, you can replace that model shape file with this one and it will place and work. this method is called Proxy Placement and was explained to me by Dave Nelson, the Admin and Owner of Elvas Tower

Chris Gerlach (CrisGer)
February 2016
Elvas Tower

chrisgerlach9@yahoo.com

2,910 Tons
329 ft 7 inches length
47 ft 1 inch beam
16 ft draught
1700 passengers
5 decks
4 Steam turbines

Operated by British Railways

The Canterbury was launched on 13 December 1928 at Dumbarton. Of 2,910tons gross, her length was, 329 feet 7 inches (100 metres) between perpendiculars, a beam of 47 feet 1 inch (14.4 metres) and a depth of 16 feet 10 inches (5metres). The majority of the decks were occupied by passenger quarters, of which she was capable of carrying up to 1,700. However, she was only expected to carry 300 – 400 passengers because of the clientele she served. She was driven by four geared turbines taking steam from four water tube boilers that were served by a single raked funnel. The Canterbury arrived in Dover on 30 April 1929 and commenced service on the same day as the Golden Arrow – 15 May.

Built in 1928 by William Denny & Brothers for the Southern Railway. Participated in the 1935 Jubilee Fleet Review at Spithead. Requisitioned in 1939 and converted to a troopship. Participated in Operation Dynamo and the rebuilt as a landing craft. Participated in Operation Overlord. Returned to Southern Railway in 1946 and acquired by British Railways in 1948. Served until 1964, scrapped in 1965 at Willebroek, Belgium.[21]

The Canterbury was completed by Denny of Dumbarton in 1929, being launched just before Christmas the previous year. She was built especially for use in connection with the all-first class Golden Arrow which operated from London Victoria to Paris Nord (via Dover-Calais) from May 1929 onwards. The Canterbury benefits from perhaps the finest biography of any cross-channel vessel, the mesmerising The Canterbury Remembered, a difficult to find limited edition of only 150 copies by Henry Maxwell. Certainly I find it hard to dispute Maxwell’s assertion that the Canterbury was “probably the best known, certainly the best loved cross-channel steamer there has ever been”. It is difficult to place this fame in a modern context when ferries only attain such prominence through infamy. Yet, used as she was by the ruling elite on one of most important transport connections with the Continent she, and the Golden Arrow, seeped into the public consciousness.

Modern historians, rightly, look for an empathetic angle to any historical situation – this first class deluxe service is all well and good but how did the “real people” live, what does this ship have to do with them? During World War 2 and in her later years, the Canterbury managed to bridge the class divide that she was born in many ways to represent. A notable war service saw the ship deliver troops to Calais and Boulogne not long before both ports fell, then being present at both Dunkirk and D Day. Post-war, replaced at last by the new Invicta (which had been due for delivery in 1940 but entered railway service in 1946) she was moved over to Folkestone and operated for most of the rest of her career to Boulogne where, latterly, her passenger complements were, “in the great majority either day excursionists or members of tourist parties organised by the big travel agents: Lunn, Workers Travel Association, Wayfarers and the like”.

As such, and together with the Isle of Thanet and the early car ferries, she helped re-popularise Boulogne both as a transit port and a destination. And it was the Canterbury which opened the new Gare Maritime which we today note the closure of: designed by the architects Georges Popesco and André Lacoste this was a modernist, almost utopian vision of the future with sweeping concrete ramps and a quite unique and complete integration of car ferry terminal with railway station. Delays in the completion of the car ramp saw the official opening delayed until 16 June 1952 with an arrival by the brand new Lord Warden but it was the Canterbury which made the maiden sailing, on 30 May.

Golden Arrow Service:
http://doverhistoria...e-luxury-train/

Ferry Servcie History:
http://hhvferry.com/blog/?p=1969

Click here to download this file

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:41 AM

I was born in the province of Canterbury !!! This means I'm a Cantabrian. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup3.gif

Cheers Bazza.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users