• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Debrief Evaluation Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

The other side of the coin, this like a lot of enhanced facilities of OpenRails needs to be a user choice to use it. I personally intensely dislike evaluations is they are on the whole to "nit picky". The local railway administraion here while exceeding the speed limit is not allowed they DO NOT worry about an over speed of up around 5 to 7kph.

Another issue is there are to many poorly setup locos which are difficult to control well which means its relatively easy to over shoot a platform. ON this same issue the track monitor on OR is currently not good enough to allow one to stop "on a dime" so to speak at a lot of platforms, particulary if one cannot see the platform, as its around a bend.

Lindsay

#12 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

Just like the current event recorder alike evaluation which needs tweaks I think as well it should be check optional of what you want to be evaluated by... The more you choose the more ratings an skill building you learn of yourself. MSTS tends to not evaluate you on speed unless its exceeded the 2 MPH mark so I say the same should be for ORTS perhaps at 4MPH?

As for platforms an stopping, doesn't MSTS give you the chance to be completely stop an positioned to then press enter when its safe to start loading an unloading passengers an the same for ORTS? If one is afraid of slack an grade control at a platform why not make exceeding 1MPH the critical speed to be evaluated bad.

Evaluations is a part of skill building so one overshooting a platform has to build up on skill controlling trains an get familiar more on the route.

#13 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:58 AM

Has there been any action on this?

#14 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:37 PM

Looks like no developer has time, enthusiasm or interest yet. I have paused in my interest ideas put together of this by focusing on other current ORTS test experiments an projects such as braking, power, fuel, exhaust color smoke rates, tractive efforts and other physics for prototypical NA locomotives an custom railway settings updating my collections.

#15 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:05 PM

Are we perhaps looking to make this more complex than is needed.

A simple evaluation showing the main points, good or bad, on the completion of an activity is all that is initially needed:

The main points (probably not complete) are:

1. Was activity completed successfully and, if not, why.

2. Whether speed limits were adhered to and if not some information on what speed and how many times.

3. Were all station stops met and were they on time.

4. Was departure from station stops before loading has completed.

5. Was work order adhered to.

#16 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

While the lack of an evaluation is something of a "pain", the problem is to provide one that the user thinks is good is going to be very difficult, a couple of points....

Flagging a speed limit violation of only 1mph, for me is a pain in the rear all over. ON the local pass railways in Victoria one regularly times pass services exceeding main line limits by up 5kph, so clearly the local management do not consider these to be to serious.

Another point is most passenger timetables (main line anyway) are time critical, to be able to keep to the timetable one MUST know the line well, to be able to brake the train correctly without under or over shooting the platform. While the following example is not real life, I will explain, I regularly drive a pass between Mt Gambier and Adelaide on the Adelaide hills and SE route, Now this is a journey of 205 miles, and in real life would have covered three divisions. So no real life no driver would have ever had do it all in one go. I actually break the drive up into three stage's emulating the three divisions the route covers, Now (sorry to be so long winded), it took me over 20 drives over the whole distance before I knew the route well enough to reliably stop at all the (aprox) 12 stops (Note 1).
An issue contributing to this problem is the display which shows the signals and track ahead is simply NOT good enough to allow one to correctly brake for a platform stop, and the primary function of this is so a relative new comer can drive a route in the sim without having much (or any) prior experience.

Note 1: I found the expreience of driving this route so much REAL enlightening, giving me an excellent insight of what it must have been like to be a driver at the time the route is set in (1950's). Is this not what the sim is really all about!

Lindsay

#17 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 09 June 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

Another point is most passenger timetables (main line anyway) are time critical, to be able to keep to the timetable one MUST know the line well, to be able to brake the train correctly without under or over shooting the platform. While the following example is not real life, I will explain, I regularly drive a pass between Mt Gambier and Adelaide on the Adelaide hills and SE route, Now this is a journey of 205 miles, and in real life would have covered three divisions. So no real life no driver would have ever had do it all in one go. I actually break the drive up into three stage's emulating the three divisions the route covers, Now (sorry to be so long winded), it took me over 20 drives over the whole distance before I knew the route well enough to reliably stop at all the (aprox) 12 stops

And if you had had some form of evaluation you would have been able to judge you progress in the learning of the route.

#18 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

Has there been any activity on this issue?

#19 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:52 AM

I remain concerned that there appears to be no action on this but am pleased to see that it remains a requirement for version 1.2 of Open Rails. Can I help in any way?

#20 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:27 AM

View Postdforrest, on 13 December 2016 - 02:52 AM, said:

I remain concerned that there appears to be no action on this but am pleased to see that it remains a requirement for version 1.2 of Open Rails. Can I help in any way?

Yeah, if we want a release out soon-ish we're not going to be able to include this, unfortunately. I think the problem stems a bit from different people wanting different things, and nobody's thus quite sure what to implement.

I would suggest starting from the messages we currently display...

• "Scoop broken because activated outside through" (sic)
  • "Sand supply has been exhausted"
  • "Tender coal supply is empty. Your loco will fail."
  • "Tender water supply is empty. Your loco will fail."
  • "Fire has dropped too far. Your loco will fail."
  • "Water level dropped too far. Plug has fused and loco has failed."
  • "Boiler overfull and priming."
  • "Carriage temperature is too hot, the passengers are sweating."
  • "Carriage temperature is too cold, the passengers are freezing."
  • "Your train has overturned, and this is simulated by a broken coupler."

...and recording them with a timestamp (and nearest milepost?). That would give us something to start with.

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users