• You cannot reply to this topic

Debrief Evaluation Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:25 AM

Csantucci, on 12 March 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

Do you only mean that if pressing Alt-A you don't switch to autopilot mode?

If Debrief Evaluation is checked, after pressing the Start button, the Autopilot checkbox (Options/Simulation) is unchecked by code.
It is a way to avoid cheating when we are in Evaluation mode.

When Debrief Evaluation is unchecked, you can check the Autopilot checkbox (Options/Simulation) and you can use Alt+A without problem.

Another alternative instead to disable the autopilot mode, may be to penalize the time elapsed using Alt+A.

#62 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:09 PM

(Yes these are old posts, but I'm adding feedback which I think is still relevant and will address newer posts soon.)

ATW, on 06 December 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

Points to meet STAR rating can be used as both gaining and losing method. From a point of view depending on what needs to be evaluated and what the consequence in lost of points is of that particular thing needing evaluation, you may already start a run at having 5 Stars regardless of how much time of your run or assignment is where if you do something in explore you have nothing to lose unless you do something wrong to lose points. But if you don't complete a run assignment, work order or whole activity, you lose points for what ever was failed. Bonus points may also be used, used as needed to make up from something like the example of time... early arrival for gain and late arrival for lose. Overall total points leads to your average score of your skills in that run whether 0 Star Rookie, 1 Star Poor, 2 Star Bad, 3 Star Good, 4 Star Great, 5 Star Pro or overrated beyond 5 star Expert counted from additional bonus making points. Examples can be added up, subtracted, calculated and seen in the rating tabs of what outcomes of a certain thing being evaluated are and what points are given.

This generally seems like a good approach; multiple categories of scoring, each starting at either 100 points or 0 points as appropriate, and gaining or losing as appropriate. I would suggest that over-scoring be limited - e.g. limit the score for each category to 125 points, so that you can't completely cover-up a poor performance in another category.

timothyskinner, on 06 December 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

That is, liberal use of the Save then later Load Save enables a player to correct mistakes and go on to achieve a 5-star performance. An evaluation not allowing any Saves gives a better measure of performance. A means of disallowing any practice is much more difficult to program in.

I dislike the idea of penalising saving, even if you think you've made it such that it only hurts those that "cheat" by repeatedly retrying bits. This is the kind of thing which will have unexpected negative side-effects, and we should avoid it. "Cheating" in-game, such as refilling the fuel/water instantly (or without a fueling/water tower), should be scored appropriately though.

#63 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

mbm_OR, on 05 March 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

The report is saved in this folder: '...\Activities\OpenRails'. Once the activity has ended.

This is unquestionably bad, as we (Open Rails) promise not to touch your content, and will not even work for some people (if you install MSTS or content in Program Files, for example).

Please put the files somewhere we know will work, preferably the same area as the save files. (There is a reasonable case for save files to be moved somewhere a bit more visible than currently but until they do, don't go creating yet more random places to dump stuff please.)

mbm_OR, on 12 March 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

Suggestions are welcome.

The attached files are for testing purpose.(x.4088)
DebriefEval-2018-09.zip

This seems pretty good! There's a few minor things I'd like cleaned up with the display, e.g. the text in all-caps is not good, and I don't understand what the yellow "Activity running ..." message is about (just remove it until the activity is done), but the functionality looks good.

mbm_OR, on 13 March 2018 - 02:25 AM, said:

If Debrief Evaluation is checked, after pressing the Start button, the Autopilot checkbox (Options/Simulation) is unchecked by code.
It is a way to avoid cheating when we are in Evaluation mode.

When Debrief Evaluation is unchecked, you can check the Autopilot checkbox (Options/Simulation) and you can use Alt+A without problem.

Please do not make options interdependent like this, it's confusing and unnecessary. You should not be disabling autopilot at all.

mbm_OR, on 13 March 2018 - 02:25 AM, said:

Another alternative instead to disable the autopilot mode, may be to penalize the time elapsed using Alt+A.

You are welcome to record that autopilot was used for a certain time but please don't adjust the rating as a result. It's just not necessary. We're not trying to build an anti-cheat systems here, after all, just a relaxed but useful rating/scoring system.

#64 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

After reading Mauricio's reply this morning, I was just intending to write the same as James: autopilot should not be disabled, but amount of time running with autopilot should be recorded. By the way autopilot mode option checked is needed also to switch player train.

#65 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

Looks like a great job so far! Looks good enough to release even in Large Address aware after the above suggestions are looked into?

My request/suggestions:

1. May the actual status tab display how much total consists fuel is burned?

2. May Distance traveled be displayed in actual status without the need to dig in the F5 HUD?

3. I suggest for Speed Evaluation to include both Time Seconds an the number of times the speed was exceeded.

Not really a request to start off with yet but in the evaluation future this durability related thing has not been implemented in any way yet but we already have disciplines to severe Run Out forces except one but none for severe Run In Forces like hard coupler bunch limits as well as coupling speeds. May there be atleast a evaluation limit to speeds coupling up to cars like safe 2MPH no triggers, critical excess 4MPH hose breaks (Coupling speeds exceeded) triggers, severe excess 7MPH for Overturned triggers?

We need to be evaluated on coupling speeds an if I’m bunching too hard with high buffer forces.

#66 User is offline   jan111 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:OpenRails & MSTS

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

Where in the Main menu do I find the "Debrief Evaluation" checkbox?

#67 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:17 AM

jan111, on 14 March 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

Where in the Main menu do I find the "Debrief Evaluation" checkbox?

Should be on top of the Activity selection tab. Large Address aware in the general options must be unchecked.

#68 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:55 AM

James Ross, on 13 March 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

Please put the files somewhere we know will work, preferably the same area as the save files.

Should be considered, that the actual save files path is a hidden system folder, very difficult to access for a non-expert user and those who do not like to remove the system files hidden property.

There is a reasonable case for save files to be moved somewhere a bit more visible than currently but until they do

Maybe, the future path directory for save files could be assigned to the evaluation report, it would be like a previous test.

don't go creating yet more random places to dump stuff please.

We know that OR uses the Openrails folder for some specific OR features and timetables files. This folder is related to the route and the activities used, so it seems reasonable to assign the same folder to the evaluation report file.

All your other suggestions have been implemented in the new code.
Thanks for your expert comments.

CSantucci said:

By the way autopilot mode option checked is needed also to switch player train.

That is a very good justification to have the Autopilot checkbox checked all time (Options/Simulation). Maybe, we should consider not allowing to uncheck the Autopilot checkbox.
The record of the amount of time running with autopilot has been added.

ATW said:

Looks good enough to release even in Large Address aware after the above suggestions are looked into?

RunActivityLAA.exe file added. It's not more necessary to uncheck LAA option.

ATW said:

I suggest for Speed Evaluation to include both Time Seconds an the number of times the speed was exceeded.

Now both have been included in the new code.

The attached files are for testing purpose.(x.4090)
New code here.

#69 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:30 AM

Not so good for me. I have tried this and get an error when I open "Evaluation" under F1. OR will not continue. This happens in more than one activity in more than one route. I do not have a problem running without "Debrief evaluation" checked. A screen grab of the error message is attached. I am using the LAA version.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: OR Evaluation Error.jpg

#70 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:31 AM

And here is the OR log file produced.

Attached File(s)

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »