http://www.elvastowe...eenshot&id=2238
File Name: SS PRINCESS SOPHIA
File Submitter: CrisGer
File Submitted: 29 Nov 2015
File Category: Vehicles

SS PRINCESS SOPHIA
Canadian Pacific Railway Steamship

Served on the Western coast of Canada

This model was created for use on Canadian and American Railroad routes for MSTS, Open Rails, Railworks and other sim formats as a standard early 1900s freight and passenger steamship very common to that region and era. There were a fair number of vessels almost identical in appearance tho varying in size, draught and dimensions.

I created this model from historic photos, the hull was a gift from Ron Piccard and the bow anchor and many modifications were the help of Jeff Farquar, (Master Chief) and adjusted on initial use with the kind advice of Tim Muir, the railng texture is a gift fro Captain Bazza,(Barry Munro) the senior Captain of the MSTS Open Rails Maratime service. I am grateful always for the constant support and help of many from Elvas Tower. This model was created as a gift for Wayne Campbell as a thank you for much help from him in a number of projects for routes he is working on and is shared for others working on routes from the Pacific Northwest.

Rights and Permsions:

You may adjust and alter the model as you wish, and convert it for other formats provided that you include a copy of this read me and observe the restrictions of use listed here. You may not use this for commercIal purposes without my express permission. You can reach me at the e mail below. I will very likely give it for i wish to help increase the library of useable scenery items for not only MSTS but other sim formats as well. You use at your own risk, i accept no liabilty or offer any guarentee. It is medium poly in size and should work in both MSTS and Open Rails. I may do night textures but none are available at time of release. The historic data is from wikipedia and is free for use on standard open license of data.

Installation: add the Ref entry to the Ref list of your route and place using any Route editor. The TSM file is included for use for conversions. The model is centered for ease of placement to origin. the Texture sheets may be used for your own work or repainted for your use. I would apprEciate advance notice of any release of a model based on this and an advance copy of your work. I trust you will use this model respeCtfuLly of the history of this fine ship.

My thanks to Tim Muir, Barry Munro, John Fleming, The Grindre, Dave Nelson, Jeff Farquar especially for his help with ship develpment and for saving a number of my more ambitious ship projects..and many others for advice, and help.

Chris Gerlach (CrisGer)
Elvas Tower

November 2015

chrisgerlach9@yahoo.com

History:

Built 1911
Sank 1918

Princess Sophia was ordered in May of 1911 and built by Bow, McLachlan & Company of Paisley Scotland. Her length was 245 ft. width 44 ft. and was 2300 gt. with single screw triple expansion steam engine, and was launched Nov. 8, 1911 and Christned by Miss Piers, daughter of Arthur Piers, manager of C.P. Steamship Service, at that time. She did 14 knots on her sea trials in early 1912, and sailed from Scotland on February 19, 1912, arriving in Victoria three months later.

"Princess Sophia, was built for the Alaska run, and made her maiden voyage on June 7, 1912. She was not a fancy ship, her hull was short and had high freeboard, but she had comfortable accomodation for about 375 passengers in first and second class. She came to a tragic end after only seven years of service. Under the command of Capt. Louis P. Locke on October 24, 1918, at 3.00 a.m. during very bad weather southbound on the Lynn Canal AK, she ran aground on the Vanderbilt Reef.

History
Name: SS Princess Sophia[1][2][3]
Owner: Canadian Pacific Railway
Port of registry: Canada
Route: Vancouver and Victoria to northern British Columbia ports and Alaska
Ordered: May 1911
Builder: Bow, McLachlan & Co, Paisley, Scotland
Cost: £51,000 (about $250,000 at that time)[1]
Yard number: 272
Launched: 8 November 1911
Christened: By Miss Piers, daughter of Arthur Piers, manager of C.P. Steamship Service
Completed: 1912
Maiden voyage: 7 June 1912
Fate: Grounded on 24 October 1918; sank following day during a storm
General characteristics
Class & type: Coastal passenger steamship
Tonnage:

2,320 tons gross
1,466 tons net register

Length: 245 ft (75 m)
Beam: 44 ft (13 m)
Draught: 12 ft (4 m)
Depth: 24 ft (7 m) depth of hold
Installed power: One triple expansion steam engine, 22", 37", and 60" x 36"
Propulsion: single screw
Speed: 14 knots (26 km/h)
Capacity: 250 passengers; could carry more with special permission (capacity for 500)
Crew: 73
Notes: Originally coal-burning; converted to oil fuel shortly after arrival in British Columbia

Click here to download this file

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users