• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dorset coast v6 - Severe trees on tracks Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:54 AM

Of all my routes that i have tested in OR so far, Dorset Coast v6 has the highest symptoms of trees on the track.

Reading the post on here and other forums, the slightest touch of red boundary boxes on the track causes this problem.

I have a couple of questions before i attempt this mammoth task of editing and adjusting the forest boundaries in RE.

1. Waiting for OR to fix this problem ?, if it can be fixed!

2. Is there a function in Route riter that could adjust all the Forest tree boundaries slightly smaller ?

3. A quicker way of adjusting the forest boundaries other than manual adjustment in RE ?.

4. Any other methods or ideas ?

Thanks

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:05 AM

The only way I know of is the tedious RE method. Find each one and adjust the boundary. Problem is you have to note the co-ords of each instance and then find out which forest region is the culprit. Difficult because the RE display is not the same as in OR. Goku's RE will show the trees exactly the same as OR, but far as I can tell has no means of dealing with forest regions yet.

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

The problem originates in the fact that the OR team does not have access to the MSTS source code and so some features were replicated using a best guess approach. In this case adding logic to test if each generated tree lands too close to some computed area surrounding every track or road path is technically feasible but at the expense of wasting a fair amount of computing time -- all trees compared one by one to all roads and tracks, one by one. The decision was made not to waste that computing time and AFAIK every time the question comes up and is kicked around the same decision holds.

#4 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:45 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 29 November 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

The problem originates in the fact that the OR team does not have access to the MSTS source code and so some features were replicated using a best guess approach. In this case adding logic to test if each generated tree lands too close to some computed area surrounding every track or road path is technically feasible but at the expense of wasting a fair amount of computing time -- all trees compared one by one to all roads and tracks, one by one. The decision was made not to waste that computing time and AFAIK every time the question comes up and is kicked around the same decision holds.

Okay, so no possible fix in the near future?

Looks like i can now start the tedious and time consuming task of adjusting the forest red boxes in RE?

Thanks

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:50 AM

View PostCoolhand101, on 30 November 2015 - 05:45 AM, said:

Okay, so no possible fix in the near future?

Looks like i can now start the tedious and time consuming task of adjusting the forest red boxes in RE?

Thanks

IMO, unlikely to ever be "fixed" and yeah, time for a session or three in RE.

#6 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

Eric Olesen a moderator at TrainSim.com created a useful mod that makes the 'Sizing Handles' on the Forest Regions what looks to be about 3 meters tall.VERY easy to pick out of the clutter.

I will try to find the mod in my \global folder and at least post info that you can search the trainsim,com site and get the mod.
Ahh ... found it. Looks like it's a 'stretched' default forest marker ... Y axis ir +-25 meters above / below shape pivot. Easy mod if you have Shape Manger. (avail in trainsim file library and I think, Steam4Me.

Just stretch that \global\forestmarker.s shape or find erics post on the subject and in the RE, forest region handles will show up loud and clear. Click on the handle you want to move.

:unclesam:A WORD OF CAUTION!
When in the Route Editor if EVER you mistakenly select a track or road section IMMEDIATELY deselect the road or track section and exit the editor without saving.

If you exit the editor with a track or road selected you WILL corrupt the Track Database file.

Make sure NOTHING shows selected in the Editor Object Window when you exit!! . . . . [emphasis added]
After exit just reload the editor and continue with your Forest management.:clapping:

You'll have no problems if you follow this bit of advice.
It is probably a good idea to make a quick route.zip or route.rar compressed file as a backup for the route undergoing the 'forest management' yes?

regards,
vince

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

Personally I am convinced that OR should make available a per-route selectable option to solve this problem, even if at a price of some computing time if needed (being it an option it would not affect program execution if the option is not selected).
I am trying to revisit what jtang developed more than two years ago, but at the moment either I don't understand how the code works, or the code doesn't work. I'm not sure I'll arrive at a working result. Simply slightly reducing the forests' size is not a solution, as there are many cases where the forest spans across the tracks.

#8 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 30 November 2015 - 12:47 PM, said:

Personally I am convinced that OR should make available a per-route selectable option to solve this problem, even if at a price of some computing time if needed (being it an option it would not affect program execution if the option is not selected).
I am trying to revisit what jtang developed more than two years ago, but at the moment either I don't understand how the code works, or the code doesn't work. I'm not sure I'll arrive at a working result. Simply slightly reducing the forests' size is not a solution, as there are many cases where the forest spans across the tracks.

There are probably two workable solutions to this for OR (i.e. without content changes):

• Calculate the collisions between trees and tracks brute-force but cache the results, so only the first load is slow.
  • Attempt to optimise the collision calculations so it is acceptable to run on every load, but maybe less accurate?

I don't remember how much the code was brute-force vs optimised, though I feel it was more the former.

Maybe if you can bring that back to life behind an option, someone can look at optimising it? ISTR we more or less just took it out because it was slow without much effort, although I have concerns on how much it can be optimised.

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:56 PM

Only to say that I'm working on it, and that fundamentally it works. I still have a problem to solve, and some improving to be done. Moreover I'm interrupted by bug fixings. First feedback is a reduction of 2 in FPS.

#10 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:17 AM

I'd like a nickel for every tree or bush I've had to move. :rotfl:

But it really isn't that hard to do. I just keep a list of the ones I've found, noting how many telegraph poles east or west of MP such-and-such it is then go in to the various routes I have made notes on, bring up AE and find the coordinates of the nearest MP then bring up the routes in RE and move 'em.

For my money (pretty lame statement for a free software!), I'd be happy if you'd just adjust the lat/long to match MSTS so you could more easily find things.....:bigboss:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users