• You cannot reply to this topic

XNA4? What will it bring? Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

A bunch of reasonable comments here; I see things like this:

• We're going to move to MonoGame unless something is actually stopping us. disc is quite correct that we don't use much of XNA's platform, so we could theoretically switch to SharpDX/SlimDX/OpenTK/etc. directly, but we'll benefit from MonoGame with less work and it will not prevent those switches in the future - in fact, it will actually make them easier.
  • Scripting functionality will continue to be developed using C# in some way, and all non-contributed tools will be written in C#.

#32 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

Ok James, I have another silly question? Have you ever heard of the following projects?

SDL-Simple DirectMedia Layer Link

FNA-FNA is a reimplementation of the Microsoft XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh libraries. Link

Engine Nine Link

Ever since I got interested in ORTS and also Linux I have been researching alot of these open source projects as I am a supporter of any worth while open source project rather that closed source M$ offerings.

Robert

#33 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:15 AM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 17 February 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

Ok James, I have another silly question? Have you ever heard of the following projects?

SDL-Simple DirectMedia Layer Link

FNA-FNA is a reimplementation of the Microsoft XNA Game Studio 4.0 Refresh libraries. Link

Engine Nine Link

Ever since I got interested in ORTS and also Linux I have been researching alot of these open source projects as I am a supporter of any worth while open source project rather that closed source M$ offerings.

I've used SDL before, but not heard of the others. Nine.Graphics (Engine Nine) sounds nice, but is a bit short on details.

In any case, I still think it's better to move to MonoGame (or something very like it) now, as that is a small step we're mostly ready to take, and then we can start to think about more substantial changes. It may be that MonoGame does all we need for now, but if not we'll have more options available at that point.

#34 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:21 AM

I am thinking FNA should have something useful. Atleast it sounds like it would be useful.

Robert

#35 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

FNA is a fork of MonoGame, maintained by a single person.

I have a MonoGame port of OpenRails, that is almost full. Two (three) things are missing.

1. MonoGame doesn't support reading backbuffer data (because said to be very slow), and two things in current code rely on that:

a ) Screenshot. MonoGame people recommend this type of thing to be rewritten in a way that a new full draw is performed to a render target 2D (texture), and then this texture can be written to disk. I failed to do do this.

b ) In-game UI window (like track monitor) glass. The game window content is sent to the shader, that applies the glass effect on the window region. I replaced it temporarily with a simple semi-transparency.

2. In XNA4 (and MonoGame) the function GraphicsAdapter.Description reading was removed, so sub-functions (not related to main game run) relying on this don't work.

But apart from these, everything else works, I think.

EDIT: Two more that I didn't look into yet:

3. Game start window position is wrong
4. Game exit is somewhat "deferred".

#36 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

Peter, Keep us updated on how this fork is coming along. Looks like something I would be interested in trying out once a compiled version is available.

Robert

#37 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:12 PM

Is the monogame version compiled...?? Or we have to compile it...??

#38 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:34 PM

The version on GitHub is in source form. Actually compiling it just a matter of opening the Source/ORTS.sln file in Visual Studio, and selecting the Build -> Rebuild Solution menu.

But I uploaded a compiled package to try. I will delete this package in a couple of days, I don't want to distribute an own version.

#39 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:36 AM

View Postgpz, on 18 February 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

The version on GitHub is in source form. Actually compiling it just a matter of opening the Source/ORTS.sln file in Visual Studio, and selecting the Build -> Rebuild Solution menu.

But I uploaded a compiled package to try. I will delete this package in a couple of days, I don't want to distribute an own version.

I'm getting the same error with any act after loading. After the error, runactivity.exe still runs, with sounds, but no game window.

Spoiler

#40 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:00 AM

View Postdisc, on 19 February 2016 - 02:36 AM, said:

After the error, runactivity.exe still runs, with sounds, but no game window.

Yes, when there is an exception in the "draw" stage, you have to kill runactivity by the task manger explicitly. Currently this code is to be considered as alpha stage, which means "It works on my computer, but I cannot guarantee it will work on yours." :)

Edit: Looks like I screwed up something with transfers, I can reproduce the error, will look into it.
Edit2: Transfer shader is fixed, you may re-download the package. One more point to the issues list:

5. Transfers are not cut out at tunnel entrances.

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users