Elvas Tower: The magic wand for static consists - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The magic wand for static consists Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:58 PM

The beta release of the magic wand for static trains is there!
By replacing the two runactivity exes of release x.3287 with the ones contained in this .zip file
6/11/15 attachment removed because function now available in standard OR version
you can test it.

The function works in activity mode, with autopilot mode and extended AI shunting enabled.
In the TrainListWindow (Alt-F9) now also the drivable static consists (that is the ones that have at least an engine provided with a cab) are listed (in yellow color).
To ease recognition now static consists are named STATIC plus the ID number (e.g. STATIC - 32768).
To select a static consist in order to drive it you act as usually when you want to drive another train: with the first click on the static consist line in the TrainListWindow the camera (if there wasn't the Cab camera active) moves to the static consist. With the second click you enter into the cab of the static consist. If you perform the second click with the Shift key pressed, the old player train goes into a suspended state (else it enters autopilot mode, autonomously moving itself along its path).
The static consist becomes a standard train without path - a pathless train. It runs in manual mode, and so it can be managed with all the thrills and frills available for manual mode. Signals can be cleared or alternatively requests for permission can be issued, switches can be moved, direction can be changed, cars can be coupled and uncoupled.
If - with stopped pathless train - with the TrainListWindow a new player train is selected, the pathless train returns to be a STATIC consist - the effect of the magic wand is terminated.
The pathless train can also couple to another train (e.g. AI train or the initial player train). The coupled train becomes incorporated into the pathless train, but now more possibilities are available:
1) The pathless train incorporating the AI train continues to be driven as a pathless train; later on the run it could uncouple the incorporated train, that would continue autonomously if it is still on its path.
2) By clicking once on the incorporated AI train line in the TrainListWindow it's the pathless train that becomes absorbed into the AI train, which now can prosecute on its path in autopilot mode or in player driven mode.
3) Once the pathless train has coupled to the AI train, an uncouple operation can be performed with the F9 window (between any couple of cars). The pathless train can be driven further (with modified composition) and also the AI train can run further.

So, many possibilities and maybe also some not yet working case.
I hope someone can perform some tests with this.

Blueprint: https://blueprints.l...static-consists

30/10/15: updated .zip file for release x.3287
30/10/15: inserted inhibition of CTRL-M command for pathless trains; updated for release x.3288

#2 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:59 AM

Good initiative...Tried...But I cannot change back to auto mode after coupling the static train with the player train. Open Rails automatically exits.

#3 User is offline   Chester 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

Great feature, but in my testing I had these problems:
1. The opening view of a two engine Static consist is to the rear. Single engine is to the front as expected.
2. I always get emergency braking with locked signals at some point while underway.
3. Even though apparently not necessary, did try Ctrl+M after stopping and got "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set...".
4. Also I get the same error when trying Ctrl+M just after switching to the consist for the first time.

I may have a misunderstanding of manual mode. I thought one could roam anywhere when in that mode, even switching into a path being used by AI. However whenever I use a regular playable train in manual mode or a Static consist in magic wand, I always get locked switches and emergency brakes at some point. I suppose this could be caused by a route with poor signaling implementation (all switches in this route are unlinked permissive at current time).

I can upload the error message log if desired, and please let me know if I'm wrong about manual mode. Thanks.

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:21 PM

Thank you for testing.
Any logfile documenting crashes is welcome.

The pathless train may run only in manual mode; it is already in manual mode when it is created, so CTRL-M must not be pressed for pathless trains. I have now inserted a check to refuse the command, so that the crash is avoided. The updated .zip files can be downloaded from my post above.

To Rohit: once you have coupled to the player train you must not switch to auto mode. You must switch to the player train, as explained in my previous post. To do this you click (only once) on the player train line in the TrainListWindow and you are automatically driving the player train in auto mode. The pathless train becomes absorbed in the player train.

I know there is an issue about camera positions; however there are similar issues also not related to this type of trains, so I decided not to manage such problems as of now.

In general using manual mode requires to overcome some hurdles: a closed signal here, a misaligned switch there. My suggestion is to use the dispatcher window, where you can see very well if there are closed signals or misaligned switches. If this is the case, you usually can force them with the dispatcher window itself. To be more precise I behave as following:
- to pass closed signals I first request for permission (TAB or Shift-TAB). If I don't get permission and I think I should get it, I open the signal with the dispatcher window (usually to approach state).
- to move switches I always use the dispatcher window, because I find it simpler.
With careful operation (no distraction allowed...) emergency brakings can be avoided.

#5 User is offline   Chester 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:10 PM

Thanks to the new zip I now get a rejection message during operation rather than a system error message when doing an extraneous Ctrl+M.

With your explanation and suggestions about manual mode. I now know how what to expect and how to use it.

I can work around the rear view issue.

#6 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 30 October 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

Thank you for testing.
Any logfile documenting crashes is welcome.

The pathless train may run only in manual mode; it is already in manual mode when it is created, so CTRL-M must not be pressed for pathless trains. I have now inserted a check to refuse the command, so that the crash is avoided. The updated .zip files can be downloaded from my post above.

To Rohit: once you have coupled to the player train you must not switch to auto mode. You must switch to the player train, as explained in my previous post. To do this you click (only once) on the player train line in the TrainListWindow and you are automatically driving the player train in auto mode. The pathless train becomes absorbed in the player train.

I know there is an issue about camera positions; however there are similar issues also not related to this type of trains, so I decided not to manage such problems as of now.

In general using manual mode requires to overcome some hurdles: a closed signal here, a misaligned switch there. My suggestion is to use the dispatcher window, where you can see very well if there are closed signals or misaligned switches. If this is the case, you usually can force them with the dispatcher window itself. To be more precise I behave as following:
- to pass closed signals I first request for permission (TAB or Shift-TAB). If I don't get permission and I think I should get it, I open the signal with the dispatcher window (usually to approach state).
- to move switches I always use the dispatcher window, because I find it simpler.
With careful operation (no distraction allowed...) emergency brakings can be avoided.

Got it Sir...

#7 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

Hi Carlo, I've downloaded the file, replaced them with the original ones, opened the activity but when I open the Trainlistwindow, only the player train will appear.

All of the trains that appear on the image, do have a cab, so what could it be wrong?

Thanks!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2015-10-31 01-12-20.jpeg

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

Are you in activity mode? Have you enabled autopilot and extended AI shunting?

#9 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:14 AM

Autopilot wasn't enabled xD It works now, however, there's a bug that I guess that has been reported already, when I get back on the player train, cameras won't point at the train you're playing with, it'll allow you only to have your cabview and that's all.

Thanks Carlo!

Edited: Solved by holding down shift and then double clicking... Works great! :D

#10 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

A first release of this feature has been uploaded in x.3301. It works as described in post #1.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users