• You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS new shape format??? Rate Topic: ****- 3 Votes

#61 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:39 AM

View Postdisc, on 15 December 2016 - 10:55 PM, said:

Others who know how to export to .s, say that exporting a high poly model to msts is a real pain, problems, bugs, etc.

Many of the limitations that made exporting high poly models into MSTS were limitations of the MSTS game engine. Exporting high poly models for use in OR is pretty simple and straightforward.

chris

#62 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:11 AM

View Postlongiron, on 15 December 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

I would add 3dc and Gmax to the list of tools as they are reasonably popular within the train sim content creation community

Thanks, I found Gmax but I'm having trouble identifying 3dc, could you give me a link?

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 15 December 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

Please see my original post on the subject of new formats. My link

I think I and Lindsay made several valid points that just fell on deaf ears in the ORTS development community.

I think you are sorely mistaken given the discussion in that thread and others; in fact, I am getting fairly sick of heading about OpenBVE's animation format it has been mentioned so many times. You can't force people to like something you or others like, and I haven't yet gotten to it in my list of things to read about, so I would suggest backing off for a bit.

View Postthegrindre, on 15 December 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

Does this mean that 3DC, Gmax and TSM will no longer be supported??? I didn't see them listed.

Please don't assume that the absence of something has meaning; the spreadsheet I shared above includes three arbitrary programs which support COLLADA, because I installed them to test out some COLLADA stuff with terrain. I have also asked for which programs people use and would like to use, so I'll stick 3DC (if anyone can point me to the actual software) and TSM to the list. (Although, the software must be free-as-in-beer and download and install on Windows 10 with no messing about.)

View Postdisc, on 15 December 2016 - 10:55 PM, said:

They use for example ts20xx igs files, and dont like to use the painful msts 3ds-.s converter.
Most of modelers are using 3ds max, which support many formats, and some use blender and gmax.

Thanks.

So the list is now (subject to the above requirements): Sketch Up, Blender, FreeCAD, Gmax, 3DC, TSM, 3DS Max.

#63 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:31 AM

3DC is 3DCrafter, base program is free, other versions are not. http://amabilis.com/products/ TSM was payware, a new free version has been released since Abacus no longer sell it. 3DSMax is far too expensive for the average person to own.

#64 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

View Postthegrindre, on 15 December 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

Does this mean that 3DC, Gmax and TSM will no longer be supported??? I didn't see them listed.

No need to panic. James wrote that this support would be in addition to OR currently provides, not instead of it.

#65 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:48 PM

Apologies James. I just felt the idea of using the methods of the other program were kinda brushed off as not being good enough for ORTS.

I apologize if I ruffled any feathers.

I am sure you and the other developers are most likely behind in researching all the wonderful suggestions and ideas as well as ORTS developement work. There is afterall never enough time in one day or even a week for all that needs be,should be, could be, done.

Robert

#66 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:30 AM

Whatever you do, please do not forget us, 3dsmax users! :sweatingbullets:

#67 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

The bottom line here is that almost any 3D modeling software can work IF an exporter is created (or modified) to support its use in OR.

#68 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

View PostJovet, on 19 December 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

The bottom line here is that almost any 3D modeling software can work IF an exporter is created (or modified) to support its use in OR.

OR if Open Rails can also use a format that is widely or universally supported by 3D modeling software. What Lindsay and others are saying is that depending on an exporter less reliable than depending on a widely supported format.

Christopher

#69 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:26 AM

View Postconductorchris, on 19 December 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

OR if Open Rails can also use a format that is widely or universally supported by 3D modeling software. What Lindsay and others are saying is that depending on an exporter less reliable than depending on a widely supported format.

Yes, I can't disagree with that, but there are also some common formats which seem unable to fill the needs of OR. I am not a fan of proprietary formats, when they can be avoided, but we also can't sacrifice any functionality.

#70 User is offline   Tyler Bundy 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:09 PM

Since TSM was added to the list of programs being included, I wanted to share my opinion about it's abilities in this possible advancement in Open Rails.

Though I model exclusively in TSM, it is an old program that is unlikely to utilize many of the additional shaders that have been mentioned. Unless TSM were to move forward (upgrade) with whatever Open Rails implements, it would likely only be appropriate for legacy .s format equipment. This is only my opinion, based upon my experience with TSM. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, as long as Open Rails supports the legacy .s format, TSM should continue to work about as well as it does now.

Tyler

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users