Elvas Tower: ORTS sound triggers, variables - Elvas Tower

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS sound triggers, variables and the future of OR sound management. Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:28 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 30 September 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

Will you above fix also (positively) influence this problem?

Cheers, Markus

That's the intention, but you should better try.
However if your .sms file has in the same stream a long sound (engine brake) together with other sounds (throttle), the .sms file is not well built.
Those sound should reside in different streams, so that they can be played at te same time.

#12 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:16 AM

View Postdisc, on 28 September 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

But how can i add a flag, that is not interfering with MSTS?

Generally speaking, MSTS ignores any blocks it doesn't understand, so we add a new block starting "ORTS" and that's fine (e.g. ORTSRejectNew ( 1 ) ).

View Postdisc, on 29 September 2015 - 05:56 AM, said:

So here is the patch for diesel/electric Variable3, and for electric Variable2. Attachment variable23fix.zip

BTW what should i do to get access to upload changes to SVN?

I'll get this process going, if you could PM me an email address to have your login details sent to.

#13 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 30 September 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

That's the intention, but you should better try.
However if your .sms file has in the same stream a long sound (engine brake) together with other sounds (throttle), the .sms file is not well built.
Those sound should reside in different streams, so that they can be played at te same time.

I understand that these are not very well-made SMS files. However, even some high-sound-quality and true-to-reality SMS files are built this way, and changing them all takes some time. Also, changing them does not cure the problem of engine brake sounds playing for minutes after you last touched them ;)

Cheers, Markus

#14 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

The biggest problem is with those sound files that are unnecessarily long. Developers should crop their sounds to short as possible. I also see a lot of MSTS/OR sounds with silence before and after the sound left. Silence is not needed, except from few exceptions, that should be cut off. Also for positioned 3D audio (everything which is not for 2D Cab), shouldn't be stereo (actually the most the sounds recorded with home camera/phone are not stereo at all, just two mono tracks).

#15 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

View Postdisc, on 30 September 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

The biggest problem is with those sound files that are unnecessarily long. Developers should crop their sounds to short as possible. I also see a lot of MSTS/OR sounds with silence before and after the sound left. Silence is not needed, except from few exceptions, that should be cut off. Also for positioned 3D audio (everything which is not for 2D), shouldn't be stereo (actually the most the sounds recorded with home camera/phone are not stereo at all, just two mono tracks).

Ok? So just how long in seconds should those sound files be? Yes, there have been some sounds files that have a lead-in of silence, but this depends if they are being used as a one-shot or being looped. In my experience, there are often compromises in sound looping. Short loops might sounds ok....if there are no sonic events that make short sound loops sound awful. With longer samples you can often mask those events so they are not as annoying to listen to. The masking occurs because the "annoying" period is about 10 seconds long. That type of masking is not possible with short 1-2 second loops. Often mechanical things produce sounds that have a much longer period that do not fit in 1-2 seconds loops. As I recall Peter Gulyas spent a lot of time revising the sound code a few years back. I appreciate very much that you are willing to spend some time with this code. I also ask that you test....a lot...before making changes. As I remember the first code changes that Peter made resulted in a real mess (well at least for me) for many weeks. I was not too happy about those changes while they did not work! So please be careful. New features are great as long as they are a segment of code that can be opted out of (experimental), so the underlying sound code that "works" now..still works.

Thank you for interest and hard work with this item.

#16 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:45 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 30 September 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

As I remember the first code changes that Peter made resulted in a real mess (well at least for me) for many weeks. I was not too happy about those changes while they did not work!

There won't be such great change (openAl is probably the final sound system), just additions.

I've stated adding the new triggers, and i see that, trigger 14 and 54 (TrainBrakePressureIncrease, TrainBrakePressureDecrease) does not activated at activated on train brake cylinder pressure changes, but by the state of the brake valve. is this a bug, or that's how it worked in MSTS?

View PostJames Ross, on 30 September 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

I'll get this process going, if you could PM me an email address to have your login details sent to.

I've sent the PM.

#17 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:48 AM

As i see there are 4 triple valve states: Release, Lap, Apply, Emergency. If i apply the brake then the state changes to Apply, if the the set brake pressure reached, state = Lap. But in opposite direction, on Release, the state never returns to Lap. Is this normal, that's how it should work?

#18 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:34 AM

New trigger numbers.
137: CylinderCocksOpen;
138: CylinderCocksClose;
139: TrainBrakePressureStoppedChanging (to supplement trigger 14 and 54, and make looped sound possible)
140: EngineBrakePressureStoppedChanging (to supplement trigger 21 and 22, and make looped sound possible)
141: BrakePipePressureIncrease;
142: BrakePipePressureDecrease;
143: BrakePipePressureStoppedChanging;

#19 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

A couple of quick questions,

Will/Does ORTS have support for stereo sound recordings? I believe almost all MSTS sounds are mono. But, Lukas did show a interesting colloration between mixing the two in a sms and having routes crash. http://www.trainsim....t=stereo+sounds

Second question, I know these days putting a sound card in a computer is considered by some a moot point, since on board sound hardware is almost just as good as adding dedicated sound card. But, Would in theory ORTS run better/smoother with a dedicated sound card to handle the sound affects? I know some testing in MSTS suggest adding a decent sound card has been known to cure random freezes/crashes.

Robert

#20 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:00 AM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 12 October 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

A couple of quick questions,

Will/Does ORTS have support for stereo sound recordings? I believe almost all MSTS sounds are mono. But, Lukas did show a interesting colloration between mixing the two in a sms and having routes crash. http://www.trainsim....t=stereo+sounds

Second question, I know these days putting a sound card in a computer is considered by some a moot point, since on board sound hardware is almost just as good as adding dedicated sound card. But, Would in theory ORTS run better/smoother with a dedicated sound card to handle the sound affects? I know some testing in MSTS suggest adding a decent sound card has been known to cure random freezes/crashes.

Robert

The stereo sounds are FIXED "burned in" directional sounds, so can't be used for dynamic directional sounds. The only place where this should be used is where the camera is always in the same place relative to the sound: menu, and 2D cab.
For 3D dynamic positioned sounds mono sounds are used everywhere, because there are no "stereo" sounds in nature. Sounds are coming from one spot, and distorted by objects. The game sound systems simulate this, and the 3D effect, according to the releative position of sound source, and the camera.

With stereo sound the 3D effect is impossible, as it would sound the same if you stand in front of the sound source, or left/right/above/below. So the game engines just ignore stereo sounds or mix the two track to one.

So in game stereo sounds are just waste of memory/disk space.

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users