• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Royal Train Vehicle Simulator Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

The first official showcasing of my royal train, still very much WIP, with my favorite engine. Big thanks to Captain Bazza for helping me by animating the running gear. :good:

#2 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

Jonatan - The model is excellent , not only in looks but in sound and operation . The video is of the same quality and it was wonderful to watch your work come to life .

Thanks ! I really enjoyed it !

#3 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Thanks Hobo, I'm very happy about the engine, and the train itself is slowly getting there. It's an extremely elaborate piece of rolling stock with tons of 3D gold garlands, details, figures and whatnot and is a real headache to make from scratch. :wallbash:

It's also worth noting that this isn't a true train simulator, the operation is very basic and not realistic at all, but it allows for insane amount of polys and detail which is required for my model. Despite the lack of operational realism, it's fun nonetheless.

Here's a video of the Märklin model for comparison to my work. While not my video, I own this set and it is superbly detailed. :wub:

:good:

#4 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:02 PM

Awesome work Jonatan! :jawdrop2:

And I was going to mention Marklin, but you beat me to it. ;) I was close to buy their Z scale version of the King Ludwig cars, as apparently it used real gold. But then some said it was only on the HO version, and/or it was gold leaf that wasn't very well done and damaged easily. So I held off. Sure looked pretty though. But I'd say your work is FAR better now! And is that MSTS/OR you're using still? Not sure I understand what you meant by 'virtual simulator' at the beginning?

#5 User is offline   ED_4 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS or Open Rails

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostNoisemaker, on 22 September 2015 - 07:02 PM, said:

Not sure I understand what you meant by 'virtual simulator' at the beginning?

It's "Vehicle Simulator" meaning it's not MSTS nor is it OR. It's an entirely different kind of simulator that enables the user to simulate driving/piloting anything that is a vehicle, be it a car, bus/truck, train, ship, airplane or space ship. That is what it means when it's "Vehicle Simulator".

Jonathan, that is one heck of a hill that the train is traveling on. Like riding some roller coaster. :sweatingbullets: What was that at the end? LOL The train goes off tracks to avoid collision then back on? :lol::rotfl: Nice timing of the music to ending the entire clip.

#6 User is offline   abschlammventil 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / OR

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

Looking very good. Definitely worth the effort! :thumbup3:

Have a look here. Could be usefull. :)

The real thing:

http://www.lctm.hostingsiteforfree.com/Secciones/LocoReview/L100_BVI/media/ima02.jpg

You might as well like this one:

http://bayerisches-eisenbahnmuseum.de/images/simplelists/20130823_FUESSEN_DSC3689_MWAST_TSt.jpg

LAG No. 7 "Füssen". Build in 1889, it's currently the oldest operational standard gauge locomotive in Germany.

BTW: I've spotted a small typo. In about min 3:23 of the clip it's "Königlich Bayerische Staats-Eisenbahnen" (wich translates roughly as Royal Bavarian State-Owned Railways).

Best Regards from Germany

#7 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:15 AM

Thanks guys. Yes abschlammventil, I notice it now in the german version of the K.Bay.Sts.B wiki page, I went off of the english one where it's "Königlische". I can edit the video on my computer, but sadly I can't update the youtube video without deleting and reuploading it which take me 2+ hours plus the time setting up descriptions, tags etc. I could fix it in the future, but for now it's a typo I'm willing to live with. Thanks for noticing. :good:

I already have that page in my favorites, too bad the plans are too small to make out details and measurements. :(

Noisemaker, the loco alone is roughly 50,000 polys and will not work in MSTS, I don't run OR and even then I don't know if the model would work. Vehicle Simulator allows for near unlimited number of polys and is very forgiving.

Ed, this is the downside of Vehicle Simulator. The track isn't so much a track as it is more of a spline the train follows, because the sim count the train as a automobile on auto pilot, if disengaged the train can be steered in any direction since as far as the sim is concenred, you're driving a car towing other cars. Many years have been spent hounding the developer Ilan Papini to improve this and make trains its own dedicated system with proper train features like couplings and gradients but I fear he is incapable or unwilling to do this. So I do not count Vehicle Simulator as a proper train sim by any means, but it's a fun playground to mess about in. :)

#8 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

Cool! I figured your train must be pushing the poly count. So it's 'Vehicle Simulator' then. I'll have to check that out. Keep up the great work! :sign_rockon:

#9 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:25 AM

Go ahead and check it out, it's very different to MSTS/OR/RW. One tip is to treat it as a sandbox game because it is not an accurate sim.

#10 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:00 PM

An absolutely beautiful piece of work, Jonatan. :sign_rockon:
I always love to watch you construct, my friend. :friends:

:oldstry:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic