• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Expanding Trackage with Route Editor ? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

I could use some advice on adding track to an established route . I am familiar with the RE and have added scenery items and extended dead end tracks for many years , successfully but have never added new sidings or " Wyes " with success . Do I add my new trackage , make new TDB , then erase any activities that go near the new switch for the new line ? Then make new paths for the new lines or am I away off base here ?
Sure could use some good advice on this because I'm stumped so far . I've tried a few different things and still haven't had success at getting the revised route to work .
Any and all help will be appreciated !
Thanx in advance !

#2 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

Best I can tell you Hobo is don't do it! Especially is it's mainline and/or frequently used spurs and such for activities. I thought I'd wrangle a few tracks on the GTA route, and boys - what a mess it made of everything! :wallbash: Chuck Rickert over at TS was good enough to fix it all up for me and get it running smoothly again. BUT - it essentially made it into a 'new route'. I had to rewrite all the existing activities, and cannot use 3rd party or MLT extra ones anymore. Chuck had released his TDB route fixer at TS, but due to lack of interest - I think he took it off again? Continuing tracks on a route seems to be okay. Extending overall distance of mainline and/or sidings doesn't seem to interfere with TDB and all for what I can see?

What got me about fiddling with the GTA is that the track work I did at Aldershot camr out okay, and I just had to fix a few act's for it. It wasn't until I got to Richmond Hill I noticed sidings and things didn't behave as they should. Some other area I was tweaking (Georgetown?) seemed to make a mess out of Union Station trackage then. (Thank goodness for back ups!) So again, fooling with MSTS trackage can be a delicate operation, which may cause act's to be rewritten, consists needing to be moved, and maybe kill a whole sub or something on the other side of the route.

I would try to think of doing something else for your route Hobo. ;)

#3 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

Thanx for the input Steven . That's exactly the same problems I'm having with Niagara Corridor at " The Junction " .

#4 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

I'll second the warning; on the route I'm re-building, I had to remove all interactives, delete all paths and activities, and even then I was lucky because there weren't any signals. I then went track section by track section, only adding new switches in the middle of the route to the new/moved track. Took forever and a day, but I had to do it anyway because the original grades on the route were so horrendous that I had to adjust all the track (and thus, terrain) bit by bit. :crazy:

#5 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:50 PM

Is a real shame though. Wish there was a way to make MSTS model railroad friendly'. When I see those track sections in the menu, I get all these great ideas on how to rework things just so. The 'gurus' over at TS seem to do it, and/or make using Route Riter and all seem like child's play. But when I get reading the lengthy process of backing up, prepping, going into .W tiles and adjusting this and that, track rebuild and all, I just loose patience and say 'it can't be THAT hard! I just want to do a minor tweak'. And inevitably, I should've followed all the gurus instructions.

So not to say it CANNOT be done, but it's quite the lengthy surgical process. And/or get in touch with Chuck Rickert for his fixer upper software and if he can help you fix your current problems. I was lucky with my GTA boners, as Chuck was developing his tool at that point, so my route got to be the 'guinea pig' for him to test on. He was really nice and patient with me, and I paced like an expecting father in the waiting room.
Whether he still has the time to help us suffering simmers, I'm not sure? But if your NC route is six of one, half dozen of the other, and a lot of scenery work gone to waste - check TS for Chuck Rickerts uploads and/or give him a friendly PM.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users