Elvas Tower: Shortcuts in \trains - Elvas Tower

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shortcuts in \trains

#21 User is offline   engmod 

  • Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Active Member
  • Posts: 639
  • Joined: 26-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eltham Victoria Australia
  • Simulator:OR MSTS
  • Country:

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:25 PM

>FreightAnim ( USRA_50t_parts.s 1 1 )

OR has been giving these errors for a while, the line should read:-

FreightAnim ( USRA_50t_parts.s 1 1 1 )

Then those OR errors will go away.
Nothing to do with links.

The 3 errors at the bottom are your link errors.

#22 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

  • Owner and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 11,730
  • Joined: 11-January 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United States
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

View Postengmod, on 16 October 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

>FreightAnim ( USRA_50t_parts.s 1 1 )

OR has been giving these errors for a while, the line should read:-

FreightAnim ( USRA_50t_parts.s 1 1 1 )

Then those OR errors will go away.
Nothing to do with links.

The 3 errors at the bottom are your link errors.


Derek, I don't understand. I just checked the original files, dated 2008, and they have two digits after the file name, not three. Why does three digits fix anything and when did that "fix" occur?

#23 User is offline   engmod 

  • Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Active Member
  • Posts: 639
  • Joined: 26-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eltham Victoria Australia
  • Simulator:OR MSTS
  • Country:

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:40 PM

We need to ask the programmers!!

#24 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

  • Owner and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 11,730
  • Joined: 11-January 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United States
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:08 PM

<sigh> 500 individual files need to be changed and each distributed over some subset of 9 instances of \trainset. At least a few of them are symbolically linked from start to end so in those cases 1 edit on one file fixed everything. I have an editor that will apply changes on filesets and that reduced the one-at-a-time-changes to ~30 files.

I found the threads discussing this... apparently the there is a third digit that is defined but KUJU allowed it to be ignored and OR does not. I didn't bother taking in what the third digit was for, only that if, in some circumstances there is a need for three, the parser isn't smart enough to accept only two the rest of the time.

I'll have to take some time tonight to spread those revised files around the \trainset folders and then will check a number of activities again.

An initial test looks like this third digit is the problem, not symbolic links -- GOOD! I'd much rather waste my time fixing the freightanim() than doing w/o those links.

#25 User is offline   James Ross 

  • Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Elite Member
  • Posts: 4,740
  • Joined: 30-June 10
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 16 October 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

Several errors given, all .wags mentioned have their folders created as a symbolic link:

Quote

Warning: When expecting a number, we found a ) marker. Using the default 1 in E:\Bin\Open Rails - US West 1930-1952\trains\trainset\XM_GN_USRA_DS\XM_GN_23715_MT.wag:line 7

Hmm, the file you highlighted above only has a warning about parsing FreightAnim - not a problem with being able to load/find it.

View PostGenma Saotome, on 16 October 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

<sigh> 500 individual files need to be changed and each distributed over some subset of 9 instances of \trainset. At least a few of them are symbolically linked from start to end so in those cases 1 edit on one file fixed everything. I have an editor that will apply changes on filesets and that reduced the one-at-a-time-changes to ~30 files.

I found the threads discussing this... apparently the there is a third digit that is defined but KUJU allowed it to be ignored and OR does not. I didn't bother taking in what the third digit was for, only that if, in some circumstances there is a need for three, the parser isn't smart enough to accept only two the rest of the time.

I'll have to take some time tonight to spread those revised files around the \trainset folders and then will check a number of activities again.

An initial test looks like this third digit is the problem, not symbolic links -- GOOD! I'd much rather waste my time fixing the freightanim() than doing w/o those links.

The warnings should not be preventing anything from working, except perhaps the freight animation. I'm not certain but it sounds like we might want to fix this parsing in OR as well, rather than you fixing the files.

View PostGenma Saotome, on 16 October 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

Quote

Warning: Ignored missing wagon E:\Bin\Open Rails - US West 1930-1952\trains\trainset\RS_SFRD_Rr_40\RS_SFRD_8225_clsd_mty.wag in activity definition Loose consist.

This is more interesting as it is a file not found. Does the path listed exist or not? Can it be opened in an editor by pasting exactly the path in to the file open dialog?

#26 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

  • Owner and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 11,730
  • Joined: 11-January 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United States
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 17 October 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:



The warnings should not be preventing anything from working, except perhaps the freight animation. I'm not certain but it sounds like we might want to fix this parsing in OR as well, rather than you fixing the files.


This is more interesting as it is a file not found. Does the path listed exist or not? Can it be opened in an editor by pasting exactly the path in to the file open dialog?



Fixing the parser would please most people I'm sure. I've already dealt w/ the issue by adding a third digit.

As for the loose consist, here is a screenshot (click on image for best clarity)...
Attached Image: jr4.jpg
...on the left windows explorer where you can see the path at the top, the correct directory on the left and the individual file on the right... and my editor which is showing you the full contents of the .wag file. The folder for the .wag is a symbolic link (designated by the black arrow in the folder icon) and all of the include files displayed within the .wag are in folders that are also symbolic links which I've checked and are present (and may I had how wonderful it is to change a value in one of those COMMON_FLEET_STDS files and have it propagate into n number of .wag files spread across 9 \trainset directories).

I think what I need to do on my side is find some activity that has lots of loose consists containing .wags held in these symbolic links and verify they too are not found. Will advise later today on what I find.

#27 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

  • Owner and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Owner
  • Posts: 11,730
  • Joined: 11-January 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United States
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:33 PM

Solved!

An extra underscore in the path as written in the activity file.

That means symbolic links do work as expected and when properly referenced can be a real blessing.

#28 User is offline   James Ross 

  • Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Elite Member
  • Posts: 4,740
  • Joined: 30-June 10
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:18 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 17 October 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

Fixing the parser would please most people I'm sure. I've already dealt w/ the issue by adding a third digit.

Fixed in X3841.

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users