• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Question of two OR Installs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Driver 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

I am having a slight issue. I have had msts and OR installed on my drive c. I am in the process if still installing new locos and rolling stock that I have let pile up over the years. I have a very set system of installing these things in a certain method that works for me, and has never caused me any issues. I just recently purchased a second hdd, and this one was for the intent of an OR only install, with only the 4 recommended msts files needed for OR to work. Up to this point all is well. I set up the OR only install and the 4 required files from msts, and all works smoothly. After about a 2 week break from installing my new stuff, I returned to the task today. But this is where my issue comes up. My drive C install of OR is set to get content from my C:\01msts folder, also on drive C. I install a new MRL loco, set up my test consist, and I am getting the old test consist from 2 weeks ago. So I double checked the content locations within OR. My OR on drive C is definitely set to get content from C:\01MSTS. My OR only install on the new HDD, drive E, is set to get it's content from E:\MSTS REQUIRED. But what is happening, is BOTH installs of OR, are accessing the drive E:\MSTS REQUIRED folder, even though my drive c install clearly is set to access the MSTS install on drive c. Why are both installs reverting to the new MSTS REQUIRED folder on my drive E?? I have checked both desktop shortcuts. One shortcut points to the drive c install of OR, and the other points to the drive e install of OR. Andy ideas on how to fix? It wouldn't be an issue if Conbuilder would read that MSTS REQUIRED folder on drive E, but it will only read the default 01MSTS install location.

I am finding that when I change the Installation profile on the OR main menu, it is changing the Installation profile on both OR installs on both drives. If I set drive c or to use the 01msts drive c Installation profile, that it is also changing the drive e OR install to use that same install profile. I tested this by using my drive e or install to set that to the drive e MSTS REQUIRED Installation profile, and when I checked, it changed the drive c or install to access the drive E Installation profile also. I thought we could have as many installs of OR, pointing to various different Installation profiles? Has something gone amiss with that?

#2 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

Both of your OR installs are using the same registry entry. I don't think there is a way to have two OR installs with two registry entries. When you set the C drive OR to access C drive content it's telling the registry to access the content of the C drive. Likewise when you select the E drive OR.
You'll probably have to use the drop down menu to chose which MSTS content to use.
I have several OR version installs and they all revert to the last content selection regardless of which one I choose.

Steve

#3 User is offline   Driver 

• Fireman

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:54 PM

that is clearly what it is doing. Maybe I misunderstood the capabilities of OR, in that I thought you could have multiple installs of OR with each reading a different content location, when it maybe is the way you describe, one install of OR with the ability to choose between many different content variations that the user creates. I didn't think OR wrote to the registry, so I thought it would do what I was thinking I could do.

#4 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:57 PM

I have three Open Rails installs for different purposes, but they all use the same profile menu selection. So any install can access any profile ( mini route ).

My three Open Rails installs are all on one disc, with MSTS content spread over 2 discs.

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:40 AM

If you have ORTS save data, such as on which disk and where your content is located, to the registry, you will always have all content from all locations available in all ORTS installation using the registry.

In ORTS portable mode, however, all this data is saved to a file OpenRails.ini specific to the ORTS installation. Also, this way you can put ORTS on your HDD and take that HDD with you to play on any computer you want - you´ll take the complete settings along with ORTS and the content.

How to make ORTS portable? It´s a built in feature. Simply open a new text file, and save it (MUST be EMPTY) as "OpenRails.ini" to the same folder your OpenRails.exe file is located in. Run ORTS and set all your settings again (you can´t port settings from the registry to the INI file, or vice-versa currently).

If you update to a new version of ORTS using the updater, things should work just as you were used to. If you install the new version to a new directory, just copy nd paste the OpenRails.INI from the older install. That will bring your old settings to the new install.

Cheers, Markus

#6 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:57 AM

View PostDriver, on 15 September 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

"......... It wouldn't be an issue if Conbuilder would read that MSTS REQUIRED folder on drive E, but it will only read the default 01MSTS install location.

All versions of ConBuilder can be manually pointed to another install using Options in the menu. However, the pro version comes with MSTS Manager which provides the capability to point and click to open a new Trainset folder.

#7 User is offline   Driver 

• Fireman

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

View Postcr-stagg, on 16 September 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

All versions of ConBuilder can be manually pointed to another install using Options in the menu. However, the pro version comes with MSTS Manager which provides the capability to point and click to open a new Trainset folder.

I tried pointing CB to the file containing the 4 required msts files used by OR....but CB would not accept that as an msts installation. I will try using msts manager next chance i get and see if the will allow CB to work with that paricular trainset in my file that only holds what is relevant to OR operations.

#8 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:04 PM

Did the folder contain a Trains folder? As in E:\MSTS Required\Trains

ConBuilder and MSTS Manager need the Trains folder with subfolders of Consists and Trainset to work properly.

#9 User is offline   Driver 

• Fireman

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Yes the folder contains the 4 needed files from msts to run or. MSTS REQUIRED on drive e, a dedicated OR drive contains the global, routes, sound and trains folder which contains the trainset as well as the consist files.

#10 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:55 PM

Post your problem on the ConBuilder support forum. Include a screen shot of Windows Explorer open to the E drive with the folders expanded. Particularly the Trains folder.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users