• You cannot reply to this topic

Electric locomotive - Tap Changer Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

Could this be possible in OR ?

Basically, you have around 38 notches to get up to full power. You can either "hand notch" up or down or "run up/down" automatically.

Run down from full power takes around 28 to 30 seconds to avoid the jolt when shutting off power. If you do shut the power off from full, you still have to wait for the notches to return to zero( 28 to 30 seconds ) before you can take power again.

If somehow "neutral sections" get implemented in OR, the above traction technique can be used.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:27 PM

Like this

N is nothin, if you push to + then the controller returns to N after switching(sprung) a tap up, at - the same happens just tap down. Turning to ++ notch makes change taps automatically run up, 0 does the same down. -- immediately cuts power and taps down, sometimes this notch is connected to emergency brake, and circuit breaker too, as it shouldn't be used at normal operation.

Also there is another lever to manually switch field divert/shunt resitors, which lower the back EMF, so the motors can reach higher speeds.

British Class 86/87 also works like this, but with automatic field divert/shunt resistor switching.

But it isn't possible in OR currently. The characteristics(each notch have a terminal speed) of a series-wound motor locomotive like these can be simulated with tractive effor tables, but manual field divert, or the tap changer isn't.

In Railworks/TS it's simulated by script, which creates a fake tap changer, and controls the throttle according to the set tap. But in OR currently as i know only the TCS is scriptable.

#3 User is offline   Kazareh 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

By chance does anyone have some info on these throttle settings and how they work with older electrics? Like I remember the EP-4 had throttle settings for Shunt, Parallel, Shunt-Parallel, etc... What does all that mean, and how does it work..? From what I've seen and heard in this thread, it seems Electrics are a bit more different than just notching up the throttle like Diesels...

#4 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:44 PM

www.irfca.org/docs/tapchanger.html

Please see the above link, ut describes the tap changer operation in general. It would be very nice to have such tap changer, and completely different from present GTO, IGBT ttype controller.

#5 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:25 AM

View PostKazareh, on 11 September 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

By chance does anyone have some info on these throttle settings and how they work with older electrics? Like I remember the EP-4 had throttle settings for Shunt, Parallel, Shunt-Parallel, etc... What does all that mean, and how does it work..? From what I've seen and heard in this thread, it seems Electrics are a bit more different than just notching up the throttle like Diesels...

Not much different. On AC locomotives the controller controlled the contactors on a tapped transformer(like on video) so the voltage regulation had wide range, and was lossless. Of course as transformers can't work on DC locomotives, so there were series, series-parallel, parallel throttle settings, combined with resistors, and shunt resistors.

Then came the thyristors then all of these are gone.

#6 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:06 AM

For a second, I thought that was an OR cab.

In MSTS, I set up the power controller for 38 notches. The fast throttle off option in OR, could be used to "run back".

A new key to "run up" and "hold", could be implemented to stop at the required notch.

It's a basic idea, but could lead to a more prototypical control system.

Thanks

#7 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

I'd love to see this implemented!

#8 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:26 PM

Maybe we can mimic this type of behavior by setting the throttle type to lever and style to "SPRUNG". An experiment would be interesting.... :cheers3:

#9 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:17 PM

View PostKazareh, on 11 September 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

I believe what you're thinking of is Transitioning, which was previously discussed here and is a votable topic on the OR Trello Board.

http://www.elvastowe...transistioning/
https://trello.com/c/e1vqMwEP/193-manual-transistioning-in-electric-diesel-electric-locosMy link

Please give it more votes so it can go from "Unsorted" to "Future." Thank You!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users