• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Curve Speed Limit How fast can I go around that curve? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:25 AM

Following some recent questions about the curve speed limit in Open Rails, I have developed a standard test for rolling stock to confirm that it has been correctly set.

The Curve Speed Test page describes some tests, and has rolling stock that can be used to see the how changing some of the different variables impacts the speed able to be traveled around a curve.

(Bazza, can you please spike this page.)

#2 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

Has the Over Turn notification returned since I just see it in versions of ORTS when Curve Dependent Speed was first introduced?

#3 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostATW, on 10 September 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

Has the Over Turn notification returned since I just see it in versions of ORTS when Curve Dependent Speed was first introduced?

I am not sure what you mean, as the overturn notification feature should have always been in place since the addition of Curve Dependent Speed.

#4 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:27 AM

Under same conditions as when it first was introduce, I have not seen the notification in almost a year in recent current versions that I'm just getting the warning to slow down or my train may derail. Another thing I notice is how if I go too fast like 70MPH on a yard turnout at a point it may have overturned but get no notification about it. Later in game I don't get anymore Curve Speed warnings like game is already over but I still get to go an STOP as well as speed up an exceed again with no notification. I have even tested with cars with high center gravity, low unbalanced values etc... even without them.

I even expect my train in future to go into emergency snapping an air hose connection if my train really overturned or run in forces being too high where I coupled too fast and exceeded a cars bunch buffer forces.

On your end do you really get the overturn notification?

#5 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:15 AM

View PostATW, on 13 September 2015 - 05:27 AM, said:

Under same conditions as when it first was introduce, I have not seen the notification in almost a year in recent current versions that I'm just getting the warning to slow down or my train may derail. Another thing I notice is how if I go too fast like 70MPH on a yard turnout at a point it may have overturned but get no notification about it. Later in game I don't get anymore Curve Speed warnings like game is already over but I still get to go an STOP as well as speed up an exceed again with no notification. I have even tested with cars with high center gravity, low unbalanced values etc... even without them.

Ok, now I understand what you mean.

I am in the middle of another code change, and will have a look at the curve speed warning code shortly to see if there is a issue with it.

Thanks

#6 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

Bug fix #3266 should now allow curve speed limit to reset.

#7 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:25 AM

Nicely fixed, it works like before but even better with the constant resetting notice as if it's a number of cars.

Any future disciplinary actions for overturned cars planned?

#8 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:38 AM

View PostATW, on 30 September 2015 - 01:25 AM, said:

Nicely fixed, it works like before but even better with the constant resetting notice as if it's a number of cars.

Thanks for the feedback.

View PostATW, on 30 September 2015 - 01:25 AM, said:

Any future disciplinary actions for overturned cars planned?

Apart from derailing or cars coming off the tracks, what did you have in mind?

To overturn a car means that it will need to be travelling at a reasonable speed.

#9 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

I had in mind since breaking couplers exist an causes the train to break apart= separation of air hose as a notice an go into emergency as punishment an delay... how about for over turned cars just a snap off of just the air hose connection of affected car or cars. Makes sense to have since out here on real railroads on random situations I tend to be around freight trains that go into emergency around tight curves or switches even slightly over speeding an we find out walking inspecting seeing separation of air hose connection... then we assume the curve was too tight, air hoses were too short/tight to handle the curve to stay connected at a certain speed due to lateral forces even with no cars on the ground derailed an being lucky. Has happened averagely on high center gravity cars where crews either re connect the hose back or just get an extended hose piece from the cab to fix the problem.

So no train derail effects as of yet, but rephrased as: Cars that over turn get a separation in air hose connection as discipline to get train stopped, inspected an fixed whether caused by curve over speeding forces, bunching too hard fast or worse yet coupling too hard an fast then a car should handle depending on wag physics. I will gladly point something out related to hard run in force actions if needed.

It's all up to you to choose from 1 or more as discipline action ideas for poor train handling without derailing as for now being lucky.

#10 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 29 September 2015 - 03:58 PM, said:

Bug fix #3266 should now allow curve speed limit to reset.

Question: Is the curve speed limit effect based on the tightest curve beneath any portion of the train or only the most recent curve entered?

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users